Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Problem connecting Nokia N97 to Car Bluetooth

Problem connecting Nokia N97 to Car Bluetooth

Hi, I'm trying to connect my new N97 to my car's bluetooth (its a BMW 6-series).

I can pair up the 2 devices, but the problem is that after every minute or so the phone disconnects from the car's bluetooth signal, and then re-connects after about 10 seconds or so.

So basically, I start up the car...phone automaticallly connects to the car's bluetooth, then stays connected for about 60-70 seconds, disconnects by itself (a message comes on the phone saying it got disconnected)....then about 10-15 seconds later it re-connects by itself (another message comes up on the phone saying it connected)....this keeps happening for the entire trip.

Any ideas? I know its not my car's problem....I've had a Samsung Omnia for the past year or so and never experienced this...and I'm downloaded the latest firmware (as of July 19th) on my nokia...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi same problem on my BMW 5 Series, it makes my old Sony Erickson look sophisticated. Any ideas ?.
Please use plain text.

l I went to the Nokia store yesterday to see if they could help me. This is what they said: Since the N97 has a newer version of Bluetooth (version 2.0), the software on my car needs to be updated....

Not sure the validity of this claim, but I guess the next step is to stop at the BMW service center soon....

Please use plain text.

fahadq10 wrote:

l I went to the Nokia store yesterday to see if they could help me. This is what they said: Since the N97 has a newer version of Bluetooth (version 2.0), the software on my car needs to be updated....

Not sure the validity of this claim, but I guess the next step is to stop at the BMW service center soon....

I'm interested in what happened to this issue. Was there something BMW was able to do to fix this? I'm experiencing the same problem with my 09 330i. My E63 and E75 connected flawlessly and displays my contacts in the dashboard but my N97 seems to be incompatible just like my previous E71x which I returned to AT&T since Nokia said it doesn't have the same software as an unlocked Nokia E71.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Marc

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I've got exactly the same problem in my 07 330D with the bluetooth disconnecting every few minutes. I would also be interested in what BMW has to say.

Please use plain text.

I just got a response from Nokia regarding this issue. I am under the impression that this problem is not something Nokia will be addressing since they refered me to the BMW Service Center after several attempts to explain that the Nokia E63 and Nokia E75 phones work with my BMW. If the same drivers/bluetooth services are available for the N97, there should be no reason why the N97 should not work??

Does anyone have a solution to this? Maybe third party app?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Please use plain text.
Advisor

This is not just a BMW issue.

My wife & I both have E63's and neither will BT connect with my Mitsi Triton GLX-R.  Neither will my nephews' Nokia 6300. But both the E63 & the 6300 discovered each other.

When I took it to the Mitsubishi dealer (Triton is still under warranty) they refused to replace the BT unit because it worked with all their tech/mechs mob phones so they claim it is a Nokia fault.

Today, with a view to replace the radio (with BT) in the car I went into a car sound dealer who had about 12 BT car radios powered up for demo's.  My E63 could only discover/connect with about 4 of them.

Nokia needs to address this and quickly before they get a reputation as second rate BT peddlars.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Oh yeah. Should have added that prior to buying the E63 I had a Nokia 6230 and it had similar problems to the first poster in this thread i.e. random connect/disconnect in the mitsubishi.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have just bought an N97 as well and i tried to connect it to my Mitsubishi Pajero this morning with no such luck

it did however pair with my gps. I will be contacting both Mitsubishi and Nokia to see if there is a fix. My Pajero is quite new so it should be compatible. The phone finds it but wont pair.

Please use plain text.
miggybe

I just got my new N97, I tried connecting it with my car ( Range Rover Sport 08 model). It did connect, but it wasn't able to  transfer my directory from my N97. I never had a problem doing this procedure with my old phone( E90).

Can someone help me.

miggybe

Belgium 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I contacted the Nokia Care line (or should that be 'Don't care line'?) about the incompatibility issue of my E63 BT and my Mitsi Triton ("the 3rd party device").  Below is their reply;

"With regard to your email, the device that you are referring to is a third-party device and is not available through Nokia. Please note that Nokia does not ensure compatibility and functionality with third-party devices as it has not been tested. Please check with the device manufacturer for further information. Furthermore, Nokia does not encourage installation of third-party upgrades as it may cause mechanical issue to your unit. Moreover, it will void the Nokia's Limited Warranty." I do apologise for any inconvenience caused, Garry. "

Now if anyone can tell me how I "instal a Mitsubishi Triton" (ie Nokia does not encourage installation of third-party upgrades ) or how it may cause a mechanical issue with my E63 then I'll admit that Nokia really does care but for now I stand by my original "don't care line" above.  This is obviously a standard cut/paste with no consideration at all to the problem.

Lets hope people start to notice the slack atitude of this company and stop buying Nokias until they get their act together.

BTW - I would have thought that Bluetooth was bluetooth!  I know there are upgrades but surely in a new phone the BT would be backward compatible to acknowledge older BT versions.  Kinda like buying a new FM radio only to find out it won't receive all the radio stations.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

A bit more info that might help.

I spoke with a very friendly Mitsubishi spare parts man on Friday who rang Mitsi Australia (his HQ) who in turn said the BT in my Triton is a 'Parrot' (hence when pairing the device I'm seeking is Parrot CKv...)

The following is the web address of the UK manufacturers ( http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/car-stereos )

From this site you can contact them and maybe, just maybe, you might get help.

Hope this helps some of you. At least, hopefully, with enough pressure............

Please use plain text.

What a load of **bleep**! I'm having this same issue. My old Blackberry never had any problems connecting and staying connected. Now with this "flagship" phone from Nokia I can't keep a BT connection? What are you selling Nokia? A good product isn't it.
Please use plain text.

i have the same with my N97 problem but my car is an acura mdx and if i try to call useing the navigation system it freezes on me and and after like 1 minute it get disconnect and connect back in 10 secounds and use to have n95 8gb and never had that issue
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Seems to me from my investigation that the problem can be narrowed own to either Nokia or Parrot NOT your vehicles per se.

Since my Nokia E63 won't connect with my Mitsubishi (with it's proprietary 'parrot BT' radio) I thought I'd look for a new radio that can connect.

I went to a car audio shop with 30+ radios mounted on the wall for trialling and of the dozen or so with BT my E63 only detected 4.  This was the pattern wherever I looked at new car radios.  When I almost had a connection with a Kenwood KDC-BT7043U (I could be heard at the receiving end but I could not hear them)  the shop staff suggested I look at the Kenwood website for a software update as my phone was new but their demo radio was 8 months old.

I tried this at home and found that Kenwood has a compatibility (with BT) chart and the Nokia E63 wasn't on it. I also found that Parrot supplied the Kenwood BT option.

This got me looking at other car radio sites.  Not only was Sony(MEXBT-2750) not compatible but they have exactly the same compatibility list. My suspicion is that it is the same 'Parrot' List.

JVC (KD-R805) was identical.

My guess is that most car radios use 'Parrot' and either Parrot and/or Nokia haven't got their act synchronised.  For some reason the worlds largest BT manufacturer and an equally large mobile phone manufacturer don't give a 'rats' about customers and compatibility.  Until they talk to each other and get over their egos and fix it we're stuffed.

Please use plain text.

I had problems pairing my N97 with my Subaru's bluetooth.

I found out that the device is a Parrot CK3000. Somewhere in the web somebody said that  sending a mp3 to the bluetooth device would get it paired, and it did.

This might help some of you hopefully.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

reijor,

I have no idea how that would help but for you it obviously did??!?!?!??

So exactly what did you do?  I presume you meant send MP3 from phone to BT radio?

Please use plain text.

What I did was to send a mp3 from N97 to the car's bluetooth. It asked for the key, I gave the key and it said "pairing succesfully completed". It also gave some error messega about the mp file which can be just ignored.

Anyway now the blutooth connection works.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Good one.

I'll try it mate.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a 2007 BMW335 (E90) and my phone is a Nokia E71x.

-Bluetooth disconnects and reconnects randomly.

-Unable to access the address book/contacts

If I can't solve this, I guess the phone will be going back.  My old, **bleep** Motorola RAZR worked flawlessly.

Please use plain text.