Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WLAN on N95 - No Gateway Reply - Nokia's Reply

davids

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM; ie: "NO GATEWAY REPLY". I HAVE OPEN NETWORK, NO SECURITY SETTINGS, AND THE PHONE DOES RECOGNISE MY ROUTER. I AM LOST WHAT TO DO NEXT. BESIDES, THE MANUAL IS LOSY, THERE ARE NO MENTION HOW ANHD WHERE TO SET THE PARAMETERS, IF ANY.

IS THERE ANYONE THERE TO GIVE ADVISE????

THANKS.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello people,

Here is the greatest advice you will get for this issue. I had this problem for about a month doing everything on the net possible to get this stupid "no gateway" reply error solved on my new overpriced $500 phone. *tsk tsk nokia p.s. the camera at 5megs is a letdown. whats the deal with the haze lighting effect in every pic? shut the blinds for amazing quality!

Anywho, I had a linksys router WRTGxx goodness which in geek land seems to be well respected so I never thought it could ever be the issue. Well it was. I went out and got a dlink mid range router for around $40 and everything works perfectly. My DS, my phone, my 360 ect. I setup WPA and it works like a charm! 5 min setup.

Dunno what linksys has going on but this is the second time i swapped to a dlink router to get something working.

Good Luck guys
Please use plain text.

sorry guys,this may seem like a stupid question but, what is WLAN? I mean, isn't it a wireless network connection or something like that? I have a SKY network in my home right, so can I use that connection to surf the net? and if that's possible, does it cost me?

thanks,

helpless
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Wireless Local Area Network ?

yeah it will be free from your phone to sky - apart from you pay for your sky anyway. Its just like using another pc on your connection.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have tried all these stuff you have suggested (IP,subnet mask,default gateway...)...nothing.But one thing solved my problem.TURN OFF YOUR WEP PROTECTION IN YOUR ROUTER,THAN CONNECT YOUR PHONE TO THE NET AND YOU WILL SE HOW SMOOTH IT WORKS. P.S. I HOPE YOU DON T HAVE NASTY NEIGHBOUR WHO WILL USE YOUR INTERNET WITHOUT WEP PROTECTION TO SURF AS WELL :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.

hi everyone been having the same problem, this is what i have set on my phone, if i'm missing something would be grateful for the help.

in tool, settings, connection, access points - i have my router listed and have the connection name, bearer, network name, status - public, network mode on infrastructure, security mode on wpa/wpa2 same as router

in wlan security settings i have wpa/wpa2 as pre-shared key and the code for it is only 4 ****, wpa2 only mode is off

in connection, wireless lan i have show wlan availability as yes and no sumtimes, and in advanced settings have auto configure as disabled and power saving as disabled

in tool, connectibity, home media. i have in settings, home acess point as always ask, device name nokia n95(65.01), copy to memory card

in tools, wlan wizard i have the router saying as known, i can select is and pree to start web browser, brings up the white blank loading page, blue little bar goes a little along, nothing loads and says about no gateway.

can anyone help
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hyde_tds

Does anyone know if you can assign a static IP to the phone and connect to a home network over the net?

That is I *don't* want, or indeed can't use the WLAN Wi-Fi feature on the N95 for this.

I'm talking about an internet 'web n walk' style connection provided by the phone network provider?

I want to connect to my home network from anywhere in the UK with a static IP set on the phone itself.

The default access point I have for standard net access does not allow me to edit the settings.

Cheers!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

You can probably tunnel into a VPN over your operator's packet data service, but your phone can't have an IP address of your home network if it isn't in your home network.

For starters, Home LANs are usually set up in 192.168.0.0/16, which is non-routeable anyway (see RFC1918 and RFC3330).

Secondly, when you connect to your provider's packet data service you are assigned an IP address by your provider. If you're on T-Mobile like I am it'll be somewhere in 10.0.0.0/8, which is also non-routeable for the same reasons. You then go through a proxy provided by the network and you are seen by other networks as the public IP address of that proxy.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hyde_tds

Thanks for the update. I'll have to try to resolve my issue via a completely different route.

I'm using the N95 to access SqueezeCentre on my WHS, but each time I connect it spawns another player in SqueezeCentre 'cause it connects with a new IP address.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Look here :

http://whyiseverytitletaken.blogspot.com/2008/11/nokia-n85-wifi-no-gateway-reply.html

I hope you will find here the solution

Please use plain text.
Sage

Sound to me like there is a need to state and clearify some things here.

The Nokia device will tell you  " No Gateway Reply", when your access-point conenction setup is not valid, or if you are out of coverage.

invalid setup can be, incorrect username, password, or security setting or a tons of other things and settings.

What  allways happends in WiFi is that you will try to assosiate with a  SSID, then Authenticate, and last you obtain IP adress from DHCP.

So that is the things that can go wrong.

If you have WiFi problems, then you need to try to locate where you go wrong.

SSID is obvios - try a broadcast SSID and let the phone find it.

Then authenticate towards the SSID - You need to know the security type used. Is it f.ex WEP you need to know if its 64 or 128 bit WEP keys used. You can tell this by the length of the WEP. 26 chars is 128 bit WEP.

The WEP key is like a password, hence its case sensitive.

Please take note that because your WiFi network device supports WEP, dont mean it support WPA2

Also note that if you can successfully connect to a open shared SSID, dont mean you can conenct to WEP SSID on the same device type.

After authentification is passed then your device will broadcast after the DHCP server, andtry to obtain IP adress.

simplest setup:

try a broadcast SSID and let the phone find it.

keep the SSID open and shared (no security - BE AWARE that your neighbors like this aswell, so test only)

verify that your device gets an IP !

When you do this you have WiFi LAN connectivity, and you will be able to ping you device from f.ex. a LAN-cable attached PC.

Get the older tool called ifinfo.sis as this will verify your IP adress setting, and hence tell you that your setup works locally.

Now onto the senariio of internet connectivity.

As we have etsablished that local LAN is ok and you can ping your phone, must home setups will have no problem using the Net.

normal throubleshooting for internet applies:

Can you resolve names, can you ping you gateway, are there any gateway authentification, are there any proxy setting.

your Nokia WiFi must reflect your senario.

Once you have this simplest setup running, you can try ping your phone with the "-t" option, hence continuoesly, and try walking around you home and record/notice the reply of the ping.

If you have bad coverage / dead zones, try adjusting your position of the WiFi AP.

Is it all bad, then you could have a hardware fault, like a defective antenna in the handset, or AP for that matter.

in rare senarios external interferrence might occur in the airspace, and you will have a hard time looking for the cause, and further more correcting the cause.

examples could be : bad microwave owen, over-the-air video-links and likes, childrens toys that uses 2,4 ghz, bluetooth device have been reported to interfer aswell.

When you finally have the deal done, you can go ahead and close up on the security settings.

Just keep in mind the basic steps of WiFi assosiation.

In regards to handset that do not obtain an DHCP ip adress, and you have to type the Ip in manually.

Dont !

The Nokia device do support DHCP, hence this should and must work, otherwise use ifinfo.sis to verify. try other networks with similar open/shared setting. Debug if you can from log in you DHCP server, could be you routers DHCP scope thats bad.

Upgrade your firmware ! -both router/wireless AP, and handset ! if any newer is available.

Keep Nokia on the hot-chairs ! This is  a bug if it do not work !

I recall perfectly that it was over 1 full year before the Nokia N80 firmware worked fully in wireless setups.

There are several reports of SOHO device that have problems with specific handsets and other devices.

You could consider jsut buying a new WiFi AP - the costs is failly low theses day, and you may end up speding less time throubleshooting and more time surfing !

Please use plain text.

Very well composed summation! I like you have spent quite some time searching for answers. I finally found your post and this led me to start asking the right questions. My end result was configuring my E71 WLAN setup as follows:

Static IP, subnet, default gateway (this is normally the IP of your router)

Static ISP DNS settings...MOST IMPORTANT...It has to be the ISP DNS settings!

Open security, although at this point WEP will work as well.

I then modified the router config relating to wireless to be open security, but tied it down to the phones MAC address.

For those who do not know how to get the MAC address, follow the process to assign the static IP, etc. Open a cmd box and run a ping -t to the phone. Open another cmd box and do a arp -a to query your arp cache. A line will appear which has the IP you designated for the phone, the hex number next to it is the phones MAC address.

and VIOLA! it works!!! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Dialling "*#62209526#" (*#mac wlan#) will give you your phone's MAC address. No need to mess about querying your computer's ARP tables, especially as many people are not comfortable with the command line.

Oh, and "viola" is a musical intrument. Maybe you meant voilà? :smileyhappy:

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage

jloubser- I am only glad that your could use my reply in this thread.

But I would disagree when you say you found a solution, as you still have to use static IP instead of DHCP.

As you sound like a skillfull power-user, please try this:

I assume your PC runs DHCP, hence your DHCP service is active and working in your LAN

If you dont have DHCP service running  ofcourse you need the static setup, and you may be correct as to call it succesfull ...

anyway:

1. change your setup on the handset back to DHCP (automatic assigned IP)

2 install the ifinfo.sis file on your handset and launch

3. open browser and typein a url and connect via  WiFi

4 now press and hold menu, so that the active program-list pops up and swap to ifinfo

5 in ifinfo.sis press select and refresh, scroll down and see if you have obtained an ip

if and when you get gw no reply simply retry the url right away.

Back in my E65 days One of the firmware versions did like that ... constantly failed the 1st attempt to connect,but i could just fire away the same url and I got connected just fine.

you can try the ping -t to keep track during your tests.

Please use plain text.

Hi mbil

I did try the DHCP route and have used the ifinfo app. The problem was twofold: firstly, when using the ifinfo app in conjuction with a static IP if would not give you any meaningful info back, 2ndly when going the DHCP route it get's back a 169.x.x.x IP whech means that the router is not giving it an IP addy. It is entirely likely that the issue is on the router side, but I have not been able to locate any firmware upgrade to verify this situation. So for now my static IP works just fine :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
vadimt

jloubuser,

if this solution works well for you at home it's fine. You have access to your wireles router and know all details to setup static IP - address, mask, gateway, dns.

But if you are in a public place with no access to this information - it is a problem.

As I wrote long time ago in this thread  the problem is that phone try to use 169.x.x.x  address in parallel to getting DHCP address and some routers do not confirm IP address because phone broadcasts 169.x.x.x address already.

With places where there is  a significant traffic broadcasts are quite rare and router can provide and confrim ip address to the phone. Alternatively several tries to get ip address can have success.

With my new phone E66 I did not notice No Gateway Reply until now. But I'm not sure if this bug was fixed by Nokia or just I did not tried to connect to specific routers under low traffic conditions.

Anyhow DHCP should be preferred way of connection.

Please use plain text.
alloyglass

[ Edited ]

hi

My nokia n86 with the same problem.

I have a router dlink 320 firmware 1.21

The issue decided as follows.

Setup -> LAN Setup->Enable DNS Relay->OFF

Problem solved.

P.S.

wifi conf