Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: C2-03 compatible on US mobile networks?

Contributor
Kashee

C2-03 compatible on US mobile networks?

I recently purchased the Nokia C2-03 for a senior staff member since Nokia advertises it as a quad-band phone.

GSM 850/900/1800/1900

However the phone does not recognise any sim card inserted in the device when in the US.

Is there any setting that needs to be changed to allow the device to communicate with US mobile networks?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Not recognising the sim is not the same not being conpatible with the US networks. Sounds to me like your phone is operator branded and is sim locked to that operator. This means yur phone will only work with the operators sim and no one elses. It is possible to remove this restriction which an unlock code which is available from that operator

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kashee

Sorry should have specified that the device was bought unlocked and is being used without any problems in Russia and UAE on their local networks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Was there a particular network you were trying to use in the US? Perhaps I can have a look at their bands for you. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kashee

Thanks, I'm getting this checked.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I have just checked the specs for the C2-03 and it is not a quad band phone. The C2-03 is only a dualband GSM phone, hence the reason for the problem experienced. 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sergent

Hi Kashee,

Thank you for your post. Just to confirm that Nokia C2-03 is in fact a dual band device not a quad band and it can be used in those regions Asia-Pacific, CHINA, Eurasia, Europe, INDIA, Middle East. 

Sergent

If my response has helped you in any way, show it by hitting the WHITE STAR... If you don't a MONSTER will come and eat your lunch...
Also hit the Accept as solution button, so OTHERS can benefit from this helpful answer...
DON'T BE SHY...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kashee

Thanks for the replies.

Seems like it's time somebody at Nokia updated the specs page I'd say.

http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/products/phone/c2-03/specifications/

Check the 'Hardware" tab.

Operating Frequency   Frequency bands

• GSM 850
  • GSM 900
  • GSM 1800
  • GSM 1900
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Looks like someone has made a mistake on the Nokia UK website. Best place to check specs is the Developer website. If I were you I would save or print the page before it is corrected and bring the phone back for a refund. :smileyhappy:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/C2-03/

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kashee

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kashee

I can do this all day...

http://www.nokia.com/ae-en/products/phone/c2-03/specifications/

Operating Frequency
Bands

GSM 850
GSM 900
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You should have a good case for a refund but for future reference the Developer site is the most reliable for phone specs. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kashee

It will cost more to do the refund  :smileysad:

The set was bought in Russia and the user is in the Middle East.

The question now is.....do Nokia make a dual sim quad band phone?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

As far as I know, the dual sim phones are the C2-03, C2-06, Asha 200, Asha 202 and Asha 305. Don't think any of them are quad band though unfortunately. If the user is in the Mid East then dual band should be fine.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kashee

True but he wanted a phone which worked in Russia/UAE and the USA.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

There are plenty of Nokia models that will do that but unfortunately not with dual sim. Perhaps he will have to carry 2 phones of change sims when he is in the US. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kashee

International traveller who has already got a Blackberry, did not want to carry 3 seperate devices. 2 is more manageable .
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I presume he needs 2 of the sims to work in the US. Otherwise he could just use the US sim in the BB. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nkot

checked with nokia support, rm702 for model c2-03 does not work in US network as the GSM freq is set to India 900/1800.

does anyone know how we can switch the fequency to 850/1900. Thanks

Please use plain text.