Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: C3-01: WLAN connection

DerekH
Accepted Solution

C3-01: WLAN connection

I have just got a C3 Touch and Type, and am having problems connecting to my home network through my router. Is there any more detailed guidance than in the user guide? If not, please can somebody help me with the following:

1. How do I find out my new phone's MAC address? I need this as the router is set up with MAC filtering. I have tried switching off MAC address filtering but still could not connect.

2, I have found where to enter the required static IP addresses (for example for the phone, gateway and DNS. However, I could only find a way of entering IP addresses such as 212.87.64.10 as 212.087.064.10; are these equivalent or is this part of the problem?

3. How do I delete an unwanted network connection? There only seems to be an "add" option.

Thanks for any light anybody can shed on WLAN setting details.

Please use plain text.
Aikon67

I looked at the logs from my router and read the MAC address at the time the access was attempted.   I could then enter this in the router's MAC list.  

When you type in the 000.000.000.000 fields such as 192.168.000.000  just press the 000 with your finger and the 000 disappears and you can type a single digit.

To get rid of an unwanted WLAN definition, go to Saved WLAN and press and hold the name of the unwanted definition and a pop-up menu appears in which "Remove from list" appears.   Click this to delete.

JMN

Please use plain text.
Aikon67

DerekH:

There is a simpler way to get your MAC address.    Go to Settings->WLAN->Available WLAN and then press and hold the WLAN you have defined.   The pop-up menu gives "Details".  Select this and you get the phone MAC

JMN

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Schlaumy

Hello people!

Do I read right?

Does the c3-01 have this magic configurable priorized list of internet connections?

And does it search by itself for the best connection to choose? 1. WLAN, 1a. WLAN2, 1b. WLAN3, 1d. WLAN4, 2. UMTS, 3. GPRS etc. (of course only if configured that way)?

I tried to find this behaviour in the manual, but didn't succeed - this feature is very important for me, and not knowing it was blocking me from buying.

All the best from Austria,

Schlaumy

Schlaumy
"Two beer or not two beer?"
Please use plain text.
DerekH

Aikon67: thanks for your two responses.

MAC address:  your second response worked for me (There is a simpler way to get your MAC address.    Go to Settings->WLAN->Available WLAN and then press and hold the WLAN you have defined.   The pop-up menu gives "Details".  Select this and you get the phone MAC)

Typing IP addresses with less than three digits between the dots: this did not work (When you type in the 000.000.000.000 fields such as 192.168.000.000  just press the 000 with your finger and the 000 disappears and you can type a single digit.) on moving to the next number, 7 was automatically changed to 007 not left as 7.

Getting rid of unwanted connections: your suggestion worked (To get rid of an unwanted WLAN definition, go to Saved WLAN and press and hold the name of the unwanted definition and a pop-up menu appears in which "Remove from list" appears.   Click this to delete.)

However, I was still unable to connect the phone to my home router (which had a nonstandard LAN IP address [192.168.7.1] and DHCP turned off) with the phone having appropriate static IP addresses, despite the bother of discussing with Nokia, returning the phone to my supplier and getting a replacement. Then I changed  the router's address to 192.168.2.1 and turned on DHCP, and changed the phone to connect automatically. It is now fine with automatic connection. I put this problem down to the Nokia not working properly with non-automatic connections, but who knows!

Schlaumy: I don't understand what you mean. If you select WLAN and then "Available WLANs" then you get a list of available networks. If you select one, you can try to connect and type in the password  and then save it if you wish.

Regards, DerekH

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Schlaumy

Hello Derek!

As I understood until now, at the c3-01 you can enter profiles for different sorts of internet connections (WLAN, UMTS,...) and sort them after priority.

So if WLAN is available, WLAN is automatically chosen. If not, UMTS is tried out.

Is that correct?
Schlaumy
"Two beer or not two beer?"
Please use plain text.
DerekH

Schlaumy

In response to: As I understood until now, at the c3-01 you can enter profiles for different sorts of internet connections (WLAN, UMTS,...) and sort them after priority. So if WLAN is available, WLAN is automatically chosen. If not, UMTS is tried out. Is that correct?

I do not know. It does not seem familiar to me. Maybe you should check the user guide:

http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_C3-01_UG_en.pdf 

Regards, DerekH

Please use plain text.
beitz_n0kia_emp

however the menus and so forth change, one quick way to get the MAC address for the phone is to go to the phone keypad and dial *#62209526# … i.e. *#MAC_WLAN# . the phone should display the value.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
joyfeal

Hey Schlaumy,

The Nokia C3-01 does not have the feature to prioritize your connections. Meaning, whenever you use an application or even the web browser on the phone, it will connect via the available connection/ the one you have selected. For instance, if your phone is connected to a WLAN and you browse the Internet, the phone will ask whether you wish to use the WLAN to browse or your GPRS/UMTS connection. However, if you are not connected to a WLAN, it will automatically connect you via the GPRS/UMTS network.

The last bit is quite simple. On your phone, if you go to Menu>>Settings>>Configuration. The first option that appers is "Default Configuration Settings". This is basically to set the internet connection that will be used by your phone by default. The second option is "Default in all Apps". When you select that option, whatever you have select as the access point in "Default Configuration Settings" will be used for all the applications in your phone. You can verify that also by going to Menu>>Internet>>Web Settings>>Configuration Sett. It will normally be set on "Default". Which is actually whatever you have chose in the settings of the phone.

On the other hand, what you are actually looking for (prioritizing the access points) is available in other Nokia smartphones such as Nokia 5800XM, E72, E52, E7-00, N8-00, etc. These phone allow you to sort all your access points by priority.

I hope the above answers your question and sorry I put a lot of details in the answer.

If the above post was helpful, please feel free to click on the green start on the left side. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
clel64

Help!

I have recently bought a c3-01. I am having issues with WLAN, it would appear I'm not the only one. I have read the numerous threads about how to fix the problem but I'm not having much luck.

1) I can connect to WLAN.

2) I have been able to register hotmail/yahoo through the mail function in messaging and this works.

3) For a few days I was able to use facebook through the internet tab - this now does not work - says connection failed.

4) Opera mini - loads up - click on any of the tabs, says connection failed.

5) Web tab - same problem.

There's lots of talk about changing access points/altering configurations etc, I've tried this to no avail.

Funnily enough everything works fine through the contract connection, although I have internet in my price plan it's somewhat annoying to have to use this up when there is WLAN available.

Please help!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
quazirab

I have recently turned my laptop to a wifi router but I cannot connect my mobile . 

can you pls tell me why

Please use plain text.