Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

C5 Memory full, but where do I delete the files?

creepersk

Re: C5 Memory full, but where do I delete the files?

Now it is more than a year since the question had been asked. And still no answer? No solution? No one in Nokia who can make some tiny application that will delete all that stuff in memory? 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Memory full messages may occur if there are too many applications running at the same time or if there is not enough free space in the phone memory. Depending on the error message, the following actions can be taken:

"Memory Full: Close some applications and try again"

In this case there are too many applications active at the same time. The problem can be fixed by closing some of the applications:

• Long press the Menu key to see the list of active applications.
  • Select the applications which are not needed and close them.

If this doesn't help, switch off and restart the phone.

"Memory Full: Delete or remove some data from C: Phone memory"

The phone notifies you if the phone memory or memory card memory is getting low. There can be different error messages shown this situation, e.g.:

• "Memory Full: Delete or remove some data from C: Phone memory"
  • "Disk Full : Automatic retrieval of mailbox for exchange disabled"

To free phone memory, transfer some data to the memory card with the File mgr application (select Menu > Applications > File mgr.). Select or mark files to be moved, select Options > Organise > Move to folder and then the destination folder.

In order to free memory, you could also remove or move the following:

• Messages from Inbox, Drafts and Sent folders in Messaging.
  • Retrieved e-mail messages from the phone memory.
  • Saved Web pages. Clear the web browser cache to free some memory (select Options > Clear privacy data > Cache). 
  • Saved images, videos, or sound files.
  • Contact information.
  • Calendar notes.
  • Downloaded application packages.
  • If there are applications which are not needed any more, uninstall them (select Menu > Settings > Data mgr. > App.mgr. > Installed apps.).
  • Any other data that you no longer need

If possible, use the memory card instead of phone memory in the Camera application (select Options > Settings > Memory in use to define the memory where the images are stored). You can also use Nokia Suite to transfer images and video clips to your PC.

If you are deleting multiple items and any of the following notes are shown: Not enough memory to perform operation. Delete some data first or Memory low. Delete some data, try deleting items one by one (starting from the smallest item).

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
guptasuneet

Dear Sheldrick,

All the steps mentioned by you result in freeing very little memory. The bulk of the phone meory is used by 'Other Files'. What are these and how do you clear them off?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

[ Edited ]

'Other Files' is the location where applications such as Ovi Maps will store their 'Map Data' if the external memory is full. The files may use large amounts of memory and prevent you from storing other files. To maintain sufficient memory, use Nokia Ovi Suite to back up installation files to a compatible PC, then use the file manager to remove files from the device memory. If the .sis file is a message attachment, delete the message from the Messaging inbox.

Let me know if this helps! Please get back to me if it does not work.

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
guptasuneet

@Sheldrick

Phone Memory Details

383 B Calender

18 kB Contacts

14 kB Messages

2357 kB Images

18 MB Video Clips

175 B Documents

5378 kB MIDP apps

9175 kB SIS applications

28 MB Other files

Therefore the memory used for applications is mentioned separately, and 'Other files' remain a mysterious memory hog. Of course I can increase the available memory by shifting the applications, messages, and videos to the SD card. However, some of the applications are paid and I am not sure how to shift them. Also, this does not solve the issue of 'Other files'. Clearing the Web cache reduces 'Other files' by 2-3MB but that is the maximum I have been able to reduce it.

Please use plain text.
creepersk

same here:

8 kB Calender
19 kB Contacts
149 kB Messages
680 kB Images
0 B Video Clips
116 kB Documents
8542 kB MIDP apps
21 MB SIS applications
42 MB Other files 

I have downloaded and installed X-plore and now I can see those "Other files", but I cannot delete anything. 

At least Nokia Suite should be somehow able to clean the memory. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sudipbiswas

format your phone memory by typing *#7370# and then click ok to which says restore and give secuity code to give format....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

I don't own a C5, but if Psiloc World Traveler came preinstalled, it may have generated a large licensersrv.log file, maybe in the root C:\ area.  I have also read that Bluetooth file transfers can get cached on the phone (somewhere?) and eat storage.  One way to combat a shrinking C: drive is to install the free Netqin Mobile Guard (http://www.netqin.com/en/guard/symbian/) and use its "Analyse Storage" feature (located inside its File Manager) to scan the drive for the largest files.  Mobile Guard can see the entire drive, including the protected directories PRIVATE and SYSTEM, so nothing should be able to hide.  Once we know where the large files are, we can hopefully find a way to remove them without hard resetting the phone.  (Keep in mind that Mobile Guard installs some "helper" apps of its own.  Most of these can be disabled, but until then, don't be alarmed by the pop-up messages.)

@creepersk:

So where are your "Other Files" located?  If we know where they are, we can probably figure out what they do, and then there is a chance we can find a way to delete them. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately there is a known issue with Ovi Maps (version 3.04).

Ovi Maps will use the device's C: drive as location to store data (map data) if the memory card is not there or full.

The biggest problem is that in case of Maps there is no way to delete any of the map data or voice files on C: Drive because they are stored under private folders which can’t be accessed by end users.

Create a full backup of your device using Nokia suite (this is an insurance as if you restore from this back up after a hard reset the problem would persist).

You will have to go onto your phone, and using file manager extract the files that you wish to keep after the reset,  place them in a backup folder that you have created.

Perform a Hard reset on your phone by pressing *#7370# and using the security code of 123435 (if prompted and if you have not set your own personal security code).

Put back all your data from the back up folder that you have manually created, and hopefully this should fix your issue.

If your issue still persists, you need to go to a Nokia Care Point to get the device Factory resetted. This will of course cause a loss of personal data, too, so a back up is heavily recommended before flashing the device in Care Points.

Of course, the issue has been fixed in all coming Maps builds. Users who have a Maps version later than 3.04 10wk34_b03 are not affected by this problem. However, the version that ships with the initial firmware (PR1.0) on the device (and on some other devices like N8) is version 3.04 10wk34_b03 which unfortunately has this issue.

This is a very unfortunate situation, however I hope you manage to get it fixed.

Sheldrick

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sarahkatje

Sheldrick

I have done both a hard reset and factory reset and even when I turn the phone back on after both of these, it tells me I have a full memory. All my photos, contacts are on my memory card. There is NO reason why I should have this issue. I don't use the phone for anything else. Is there ANY way I can get this maps application deleted. I am finding it VERY frustrating having a phone that is unrealiable and calling it an "unfortunate sitution" is not good enough. I paid good money for a phone that I expect to work. Please let me know what else I can do to fix this phone.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Sarahkatje

Now my phone wont even re-sync. This is so frustrating. Wish I had got an i-Phone now.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ashok_aeronaut

try "RAM" Software..i think it vl slv ur prb
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

At this point, you may as well also try a soft reset: *#7780# ....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
blackandwhitef

I have had the same probnlem and returned the phone to the vendor 10 days ago. Got it back yesterday and it seems to be fine now. The repair centre report stated " we deem your handset to have corrupted/old version of software." They must have installed a newer version because the menus and options are slightly different now.

Memory details now read;

16MB Memory in use
53MB Free memory
3kb Calender
11kb Contacts
3kb Messages
153kb Images
0kb Sound Files
0KB Video Clips
1kb Documents
3123kb MIDP apps
1195kb SIS applications
11MB Other Files
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kamalkumar_1999

hi,

please delete the yahoomail option and please dont connect the mail optoin or else the msgs on the mail will reflect on the memory, which will block the memory and it will always show memory full

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tolmarcr

I don't use OVI maps and I've got 54M of other files.

I've updated the phone to the latest version 71.5 and did a hard reset. The files are down to 14M, but now I've lost the Hebrew language support of the phone. Anyone knows how to do it?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
arjunaplihs

thank u very much.ur solution is working..i have saved my whole phone memory about 59 mb.thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
guptasuneet

@arjunaplihs
Which solution worked for you? There are so many solutions on this thread, it will be helpful if you could please elaborate.

Happy New Year!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arunlal4u

whenever you install a new app or game.. install it in ur memory card and not in the phone memory.
Try taking it to nokia care and ask for a software update. u'll get it back as gud as new. provided u make a back up of ur imp data contacts n files.. 

Please use plain text.
vgjaiswal

reseting the phone is only answer. But decide hard or soft reset? If you are doing hard then backup your imp data. 1) soft reset = This option restores the .ini files fromthe ROM.Does not erase data (photos, videos, documents) nor applications from a third party. Key Code *#7780# (click this combination of keys on the keyboard in the mobile).

2)This option restores the original operating system from the ROM. Formats the C: partition and deletes all data including the memory card. Key Code *#7370# (click this combination of keys on the keyboard in the mobile).
Please use plain text.