Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

C7 (Astound) - FREEZE, REBOOT, FREEZE REBOOT, FREE...

Registered Member
ddufail

C7 (Astound) - FREEZE, REBOOT, FREEZE REBOOT, FREEZE REBOOT

Disclaimer:

One person's review should not, cannot and does not qualify / disqualify a manufacturer.

Background:

Having been a Nokia Mobile Phones employee for several years (1999-2006), I have never used anything but Nokia phones. I waited patiently till T-Mobile started offering the 'Nokia C7', with 'Astound' as its marketing name; and finally, decided to 'upgrade'. The phone arrived at my home Friday evening, 4/8.

FATAL ISSUE:

Every time I'd make a call, the phone would FREEZE. I would have to physically take the battery out, put the battery back in, and restart. This happened a 100% of the time, or to say it another way, the phone's fail-rate was 100%. I must have made five-six calls, and it FROZE, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Hit the Road, Jack:

Finally, Sunday evening, to save myself further heartburn, I decided to ship the phone back. This morning, 4/11, I shipped the phone back. I have not decided what to get in its place, as I am still waiting for the bad taste to disappear from my mouth.

Other Issues:

- The SIM card slot is terrible; it requires microscopic surgery to get the SIM out of the phone.

- The notification light does NOT work for emails, only for text messages or missed calls.

Final Thoughts:

To say that I am disappointed will be an understatement.

Buyer beware!

Please use plain text.
gerasunil

Re: C7 (Astound) - FREEZE, REBOOT, FREEZE REBOOT, FREEZE REBOOT

Had similar issues but not that worse. Had to reboot 4 times in two weeks. I had 5800 XpressMusic before I believe I rebooted about 4 times in 2 years. No more free Nokia email push support and I had to delete my mail box 2 times already with sync problems.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ddufail

My apologies for leaving out an important (unrelated, perhaps) piece of information.

Before the Astound debacle, I had been using the Nokia 6800 (RH-26; marketing name Neptune, I believe) since 2004.

After trying the Astound, I am back to my Nokia 6800, which is an amazing product, and can't be beat when it comes to call quality, calendar management, text messaging and software stability, among other features.

(Knowing how good a Nokia product can be, its even more disappointing to see the kind of products this company is putting out these days).

What happened to you Nokia?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ddufail

Nokia 6820.

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

because i think is a nice phone should give one more time a try BUT get same phone from different store as from the same store it may be all batch of c7 phones with problem
Please use plain text.
Professor
Vangelis290189

I have the same problems with the european version of C7 . but you may be lucky as I had more problems than that . My phone had the purple tint and the wi-fi reception was too bad (75% signal 3 meters away from router !) . There are too many customers having problems with poor quality devices NOKIA produced . It's an expensive device and it's worse than the cheap ones . I you can afford it throw it away and get an iPhone
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
snovakov

[ Edited ]

The only issue I have is that I cannot get the Ovi Maps "Check-In" functionality to work.

I always get a message saying that the network is currently unavailable or something like that, which is a load of **bleep**...everything else works.

I can see that "Check-In" is trying to log-in to Yahoo when this error occurs, which I believe is the "Social Network" that I chose when it was initially asking which one to use.

Is there a way that anybody knows of *changing* which "Social Network" is to be used when logging-on to Ovi Maps "Check-In"?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
eddman

[ Edited ]

It's not like all of them are faulty. You were just unlucky. There are defective phones in all phone models from all manufacturers, even apple.

In such cases, first try resetting your phone by dialing *#7370# . Back-up your phone first because resetting will delete everything that you have on your phone. Also make sure that the battery is at least half charged.

If it doesn't help, then try to update its firmware with "nokia software updater" or ovi suite.

If the problem remains then it has to be a hardware issue. Return it and demand a new one or send it for repairs.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vangelis290189

At last I got my phone back from service . They changed the main board (I got new IMEI) and all is working fine . no freeze no reboots at last !!! Just to mention that the old board was made in hungary and the new one is made in Finland !!! all of you having restarts should ask for main board replacement otherwise your problem remains
Please use plain text.