Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: C7 / Belle / Exchange Mail / disappearing mess...

zszalbot
Accepted Solution

C7 / Belle / Exchange Mail / disappearing messges

Hello,

I have a C7 with Nokia Belle on board and I use Exchange Sync to synchronize my messages with a Gmail account. The problem is that from time to time for no appearent reason all my emails disappear from the device. They are kept on the Gmail server but are gone from the mobile. I think it tends to happen occasionally when I manually sync messages. Can anyone advise? Thank you in advance.

Zbigniew Szalbot

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Iris9290

Re: C7 / Belle / Exchange Mail / disappearing messges

Hi zszalbot,

Welcome to the Nokia forum.

The exchange server on your phone will sync only a certain amount of emailsm who will be deleted after a certain period of time. These emails will still be available in your Gmail account on the internet, but will no longer be displayed in the Exchange account on your phone. 

You can adjust this in your email account by opening your email and pressing on Options in the right bottom corner of your screen and pressing on Settings. Now go to Exchange ActiveSync and go to What to sync, where you can choose the removal interval. If you click on two weeks for example, the emails will be saved for two weeks and will then be deleted to make space for newer emails. The device shouldn't delete all your emails when there is enough space to display emails that exceed the removal interval. This should only happen in case there is not enough space to display the newly synced emails.

If the above isn't the reason why the emails are being removed, delete the inbox on your phone, and reinstall to clear up any bugs. If this doesn't work, reinstall Belle with Nokia Suite to clear up any bugs in the software itself.

Let me know how you get on.

Iris9290

If my post has helped you in any way, please accept it as a solution or click on the white star, so that other users will be able to benefit from it too.
Please use plain text.
zszalbot

Der Iris9290,

First of all, thank you very much for a very detailed answer. A couple of points to mention:

• I do not think that the setting how long emails should be kept on the deivce matters in this case. My setting is one month. But I assume that when I get past the one month period, only emails older than one month should disappear - the newer ones should still be on the device. But this is not what is happening - all my emails are gone from the device. It happened to me twice yesterday.
  • Secondly, as you can tell, Belle is quite a new baby of yours, so I am left wondering whether it makes sense to reinstall it as I have had it for about 3 weeks or so. 
  • Though I do not like it, I can in fact delete the account on the device, and reconfigure it to strart afresh. I am not sure this is going to help but I will try and let you know if I am back in the same situation.

Warm regards,

Zbigniew Szalbot

Please use plain text.
zszalbot

Update: reinstalling the Exchange Sync Gmail account helped in the sense that messages are back on the device, which means that a bug had caused their removal earlier.
Please use plain text.
txtmsg

I am observing the exact same behaviors on C7 with Belle. The entire mailbox will empty randomly and I haven't been able to figure out where or when.

Strangely, it was working fine for over a week and this only recently began to happen.

I tried removing and re-adding the Gmail account. This brings the messages back on the first sync but they are just as likely to disappear as before.

Currently, my setting for "What to Sync" reads : "Remove mail after: None."

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stillnumber1

+1, this is happening on my N8 and is soooo frustrating.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JonathanVl

I have the same problem on my E6.
Deleting and re-adding the account didn't fix the problem.
At first everything seems back to normal, but after a while the messages disappear again...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rodfajardo

I'm having the exact same problem.

Please help!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

No solution for this?
Please use plain text.
txtmsg

i stopped trying to use c7 / belle to access my gmail account. it is broken beyond repair. there are a couple apps from cochik mobile that work in a pinch but are not reliable enough for day-to-day operation:

http://www.crochik.com/mobwebmail/

http://www.crochik.com/gapp/

unfortunately, after many loyal years, this issue is going to push me away from symbian. really sad.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
constra

same here E7.

And can't login to Hotmail, MSN anymore since 1 month.

No solution?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Why this post it says "solved" when you doesnt solve the problem
Please use plain text.
trinkner

[ Edited ]

Gmail emails have disappeared from my N8 Belle using MfE several times in the last few days.  I have forced the phone to reload them by first killing the Inbox (by clicking in the Mail Settings: What to Sync: Email: No)  and then recreating the Inbox (by clicking in the Mail Settings: What to Sync: Email: Yes) .  This is really annoying.  I can't reproduce the bug, but it happens often.

I use the Belle email widget to display my emails, and use the default Belle Mail program to read/delete/send/forward emails.  Sometimes the phone will go a few weeks without this buggy behavior.  In the past few days, it has happened often.

This bug is NOT solved.  The above steps are a poor work-around, but it will get your emails to display.

Please use plain text.
vishnunn

This is happening to me as well. I am using C7 and exchange mail to sync my gmail inbox. For me, messages get deleted from my mobile, but actually it is removing the "Inbox" tag. So all the emails vanish from everywhere and they can only be seen in "All Mail" folder in gmail.com. I can select "Gmail" (Instead of Exchange) while setting up email on my phone so that this problem does not appear, but Contacts can be synced with Gmail only if I setup mail as Exchange. So I am stuck with Exchange and this bug.
Please use plain text.
nuno_pinto

i also have the same problem on my wife phone.
She stopped using it and his now using LUMIA.
This is a bug on lattest Belle version because this prblem started only after i installed the latest Belle version
Please use plain text.
nuno_pinto

Re: C7 / Belle / Exchange Mail / disappearing messages

Could it be related with Google action on stopping Exchange Active Sync support ?

http://googleblog.blogspot.pt/2012/12/winter-cleaning.html

Please use plain text.