Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: HD recording freezes in C6-01

Mobile Visionary
timkamat

HD recording freezes in C6-01

I'm using sandisk 8gb class 4 memory card in my NOKIA C6-01. Today I noticed that while recording a video in HD,the frame freezes every few second while audio recording continues. It keeps on freezing and resuming intermittently and the result is bad video with "still image like " patches.I have recorded HD video in the past on the same card and same phone before. Tried everything including formatting memory card to fat 32 file system, but no luck. Surprisingly enough, my another nearly meagre 128MB card can record HD video smoothly on the same phone. What could be the issue with the card, and is there any way I can solve this issue and keep using the card? Or do I need to buy a new card?If needed to buy a new one, can anyone suggest me a best option?
In Love With My C6-01:Now running on Nokia Belle!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

hi mate,

sounds like you have a decent memory card so i'd say something is going wrong with the phone. have you checked if there are any firmware updates available for your device via Nokia Suite on your PC? if any, please update to the latest version offered. you can also try re-installing the current firmware thru Nokia Suite, and if that doesn't work, then Restoring the phone to factory settings.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

I opt to disagree with you. I have checked st with a old 128MB card and found that the HD recording does not freeze. Then again I checked it with another 2gb card I have. Made a video moving between brighter and darker areas and found no freezing all along the 4min length of the video. While with the 8gb card I have described above, it begins to freeze several times even with a smaller video clip me just 25 to 30 seconds. Seems something has gone wrong with the card or it might be some app installed in the card. I am now planning to buy a sandisk 8gb class 10 card and let me see how it works!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

i have recorded 30 mintues of video with my Nokia N8 and a 32GB SanDisk microSDHC Class 4 card and had no problems. i just feel that if its recording fine with lesser capacity cards, there must be something wrong with it handling higher capacity cards.

Anyways, do let us know how it goes, and hopefully its resolved soon.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

I checked the card using the h2testw application. The write speed I got was just 1.45MB/sec and read speed was 18.7MB/sec. I used a memory card reader for this test, So any influence of the phone is ruled out. Being a class 4 card, the write speed should have been 4MB/sec. I guess that is the issue which has been the cause of the video freeze because the the card cannot write faster data.
In fact, I have used the same card with the same phone before to record HD videos. Seems something has gone wrong with the card recently.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Class refers to theoretical maximum write speed that the card should write at, i have never gotten 4MB/sec out of a Class 4 card lol, 3.33MB or 3.50MB, yes. So that 1.45MB/sec sounds like there is something awfully wrong with your card.

As you've said, might need to get a new card.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

I am not able to decide whether to go for a new card or not. Though it looks like the fault with the card, what if it was due to phone? I just hope to get a high capacity card from a friend So that I can check it on my phone before taking a decision on buying a new card.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

Checked my other old 128MB card using h2testw application. Surprisingly, the write speed I got was an amazing 8MB/sec! So its for sure that something has gone wrong with my existing 8gb class 4 card. I have already ordered for a sandisk mobile ultra class 10 card from flipkart India. Expecting the delivery on Monday.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

Got the new card this evening and checked by installing a few apps. They seem to work faster and smoother. Recorded a couple of videos in HD and observed no freezing. Will check tomorrow using the h2testw application on office pc.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

glad to hear it's all working now! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.