Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

android on c7

Contributor

android on c7

Can i install android  operating system on my nokia c7?since symbian is not user freindly and commonly hanging!!!

and if i do would i lost my data?how can i prevent it

Mohammad arif

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mrizalc601

Re: android on c7

Totally cannot...!
This phone is not a free OS.
It's unlike with the computer since you can decide which OS you want to install (Windows,Ubuntu,etc)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

back up your data on ovi suite then you will not loose it as for android on the C7 forget about it,impossible.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

Can't you wait till the new Symbian Anna becomes available for C7 users?...

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wahidz99

Google android is "THE" platform in the market or worldwide mobile devices.. It's a shame to see Nokia did not take any initiation for an Android device. Nokia's CEO, Stephen Elop is making a clear mistake to go in a joined deal with Microsot for their primary OS. He should've at least considered to come up with one Android phone..

Also, there are so many phones in the market now, most of them are using the same hardware configuration as C7-00... There are so many developers and hackers in the Symbian world, but no one can tell me how to remove the Symbian ROM to install Android

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

I suppose you do not expect the answer here...

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vangelis290189

wahidz99 wrote:

Google android is "THE" platform in the market or worldwide mobile devices.. It's a shame to see Nokia did not take any initiation for an Android device. Nokia's CEO, Stephen Elop is making a clear mistake to go in a joined deal with Microsot for their primary OS. He should've at least considered to come up with one Android phone..

Also, there are so many phones in the market now, most of them are using the same hardware configuration as C7-00... There are so many developers and hackers in the Symbian world, but no one can tell me how to remove the Symbian ROM to install Android

which android phone has similar hardware ? I dont think there is one . In order to have android in your device you need to create drivers for all chipsets-cpu-ram-etc . as you know this is a LOT programming and cannot be done by a single hacker-programmer . It needs a whole team working close to NOKIA for months to have a stable Android running in C7 . As you should know NOKIA cant afford developing a platform along with symbian and WP7 . there are so many manufacturers running android so the market share is not enough for nokia . they want to offer an alternative to android . Wait a year to see if its good or not

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
neo9000

Sounds like trying to install win7 on a nokia handy...

Android phones have better hardware, so it should be impossible

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Its not possible at all.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

Why don't you just but an android phone? sell that nokia and buy another phone if you want android. Unfortunately it will not be easy to get one with similar build quality.
Show your appreciation. Hit that kudos button real hard
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

The closest you can get to Nokia level build quality for Androids are SE units. Yes they arent metal like N8, but SE units are tougher than Samsung ones.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
VishalKaushik

Microsoft has its phone OS in market for a long time and every one knows how good it is. HTC has so many phones based on it, but were they good enough? Well Nokia is doing its second mistake. If they really want to follow Microsoft, then learn from them. Vista was a faliure but Win 7 is suceess, still both are called Windows!!! Can't Nokia build a complete new team that reuses core, upgrades it and present it with new UI? Help make few really good aps like Skype with Video, make social for iGoogle.... I know they can do it. But someone out there within is not with them and with us. I have Nokia C7 for past few months, I know I will see it die soon. Nokia thinks I am fool who baught it and they will not provide their updates to me any more. Few people say I will, but when and why late? This will really bring them down.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@Vishal - Have you even seen the new videos for Anna and Belle? Personally, they're looking good. Also, I've seen WP7, and I kind of like it. So I'm waiting for a Nokia Windows Device. Hopefully they launch a full featured tablet with telephony and messaging capability along with GPS.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
VishalKaushik

Watching videos is no good as they do not show you true
picture.  One can only say something
about it if he has it. It is not even 3 months that I have had this phone and it
seems like Nokia has somehow decided not to give it to people like me. If you
liked the look and feel, there are so many themes on OVI you can use on
Simbian^3. The whole idea was a trust on Nokia, now people like me are losing
it every day.

Of course Android is not a very good option as it will have
100’s and may be more offshoots. I am not sure how companies like Samsung  will support their existing customers when new
versions of Android keeps coming so frequently, will they support old versions
or make new phones with new once.

Coming back to WP7, MS gives very good look and feel to all
its products. Remember Windows Vista (similarly Windows ME), videos and
promotions said so many good things. Even I was amazed by it and bought a new
laptop with Windows Vista Pro as soon as it was out. All MS products should be
watched for a while before buying. All MS OS have a problem their performance
goes down as days pass by. Every day there are so many updates coming in, you
never know when that product will get stable. Then comes in SP1, SP2 …. and not
happy see a new product. Do you think WP7 will be exception? I am afraid it
would not be. Have you heard Virus issues in Linux world? I hope not much but
all Windows are prone to attacks every day.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

1. The video itself was of a phone running the new update, so it shows truth.

2. Never had a problem on Vista or Windows 7, as the only problem Vista ever had was that it was a resource hog which causes the lags and crashes, but my PC hardware was overkill for it anyway (processor speed and RAM amount both more than 2x the minimum), so I cant really see any problems with Vista.

3. Linux doesnt have viruses because there arent many users. Why would a programmer make a virus for something no one uses? Windows have viruses and malware made by people because there are lots of users. Mac viruses and worms are also now starting to appear because of their gaining popularity. In other words, Linux is only safe because there is no reason for developers to make viruses, and the same way, there is only a limited amount of available programs and applications for Linux because there are few people using. In other words, I still dont even see the good thing about Linux when you can even get the full potential out of your computer like a Windows or Mac system would due to the high availability of productive programs.

4. WP7 is not windows 7. The software used is different, which means a Windows PC virus will not work on WP7 the same way a Windows virus will not work on a Mac.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
VishalKaushik

@Kristian : Please follow the links given below and you will find more than what I have said about MS OS.

Criticism of Windows Vista

Criticism of Microsoft Windows

Seven Issues Making Life Difficult for Windows Phone 7

Windows Phone 7: Microsoft's Disaster

I completely understand WP7 and W7 are different things but both follow .NET. Any .NET security vulnerabilities may have impact on devices running either one of them. If you closely follow MS Updates you will see most of them are termed as Security Updates and few of them are for .NET.

When you say Anna is really good so why Nokia is going for MS WP7? Is it not strange?

My whole debate is that Nokia should believe in itself and take initiatives that may include re-engineering core, replacing UI, add user friendly features, make Symbian development platform easier & rich and collaborate with companies those provide SW which make Smart Phone really precious and usable. Secondly whatever efforts they make, they should take their existing
customer in confidence.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

First 2 links
- never had any of those issues, mainly because of how I set up my computer. Those issues would only affect those who do not know how to fully use their computer. The way I've set up my mine, all issues mentioned there are avoided already. Personally, Windows criticisms dont hold water when there are lots of fixes for it. Basically all those criticisms are just against the default settings, but when your PC is customized to the same extent as mine, those "problems" dont exist.

The Windows Phone 7 links, those criticisms are all for me, moot in terms of Nokia WP7s.
-Nokia has been allowed to make internal modifications to WP7, so those cant apply yet. We dont know what modifications will be in place, whether they be security or whatever.
-WP7 is the first iteration of the OS, Mango has just been recently been released I think as well. Android and iOS were far worse when they were first released but they were upgraded rather quickly and overtook Symbian in little over a year of actually taking off. So basically, I wont really pay much mind to WP7 criticisms until they the Nokia WP7's have been available for almost a year.

The Symbian platform's problem is I dont know. I would have personally wanted to stick to Symbian, but the app developers have already stopped making support.
Please use plain text.