Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 9300i internet radio - workaround! -.ram vs .r...

Contributor

Re: 9300i internet radio - workaround!

BRILLIANT!!! this is the sort of selling point Nokia want to be promoting ;o) this way I'll be able to come in to the office during the World Cup!(I'm on a conference call, honest...)Thanks Harry74 (are there really 74 harrys???)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Happy to help, Martin. Yes, it's a shame Nokia didn't make it work out of the box -- and I'm still hoping it might somehow work on WEP encrypted networks too. (As for the screenname -- arbitrarily chosen. Don't think there are another 73 harrys. are there?)
Please use plain text.

I've applied that brilliant workaround on my 9300i, and it works a treat.

I'm also using it on a WEP encrypted wireless network and it seems to be just fine? No particular issues with it and processor usage anyway (just the usual rubbish about network connectivity and buffering that seem to play ALL real players I've ever used...)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for posting that info, henley. I'll try again on my office WEP network. (When I've tried it there before it has looked like it's going to work, getting as far as buffering but then given up after about 30 seconds with an error message.)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: 9300i internet radio - workaround! -.ram vs .rpm

One other point to note: the workaround only works for URLs that end in .ram. Going back to the BBC example, some of the World Service URLs (e.g. Newshour, the World Today) end in .rpm. You can get round this by simply amending the URL when you enter it in your 9300i.

E.g. the Newshour URL is www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/wservice/newshour2000.rpm
If you enter that into your phone, it generates an error message. But simply replacing the .rpm with .ram will work (i.e. www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/wservice/newshour2000.ram).

As far as I can tell, .rpm and .ram files are the same, but .rpm tries to play a file in an embedded player (which, as state above, the Nokia 9300i can't do) and .ram launches the Realplayer application.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Great to see all your excitement, congratulations. Tried same on my 9500 with no joy!
Please use plain text.

Got this to work with my N80 via T-mobile web n walk. But not via my wireless network at home (!)

Incidentally - roughly how much data a minute would listening to the radio over GPRS correspond to ?

Thanks
Please use plain text.