Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Belle is a disaster for the E6: how to move on?

Counsellor
BellX_1

Belle is a disaster for the E6: how to move on?

[ Edited ]

Many and perhaps most who upgraded to Belle did so because the phone prompted them to perform updates. It is considered to be the responsible thing to do. As with PC's; don't skip updates, it may harm your computer or data.

There was never any warning displayed as to the impact of the upgrade. For example a reduction in available screen, reduced usefulness or widgets or reduced function of the D-pad, were never mentioned. That was negligent. A backup was made during the upgrade process - giving the false impression that the previous version could be restored. That was misleading.

Nobody could imagine, unless they were regularly checking news and details on developments at Nokia, that their E6 would emerge from the process horrendously defaced and only half functional. Many E6 users use the phone for work and don't follow trends and developments, and can't be expected to do that. Had they been properly informed, they would not have upgraded. They have the right to get back the product they originally bought and used and the assurance that this will not happen again.

Belle has a ridiculous UI for a business phone, and much reduced functionality compared to Anna. Belle is a disaster specifically for the E6 because the screen is way too small for all the unnecessary eye candy (monstrous widgets) and Belle lacks important functions that Anna had.

If anyone from Nokia reads this, please respond. Complaining customers are still customers. Complaining customers are more useful than the ones that walk away in silent anger, because you can learn from them.

As to how to move on: Getting rid of the E6 and trying to forget about it is one thing, but does anyone consider some form of legal action? After all, when you buy something that has properties A, B, and C, and 6 months later the manufacturer single-handedly decides that the product now has properties C, D and E, to all intents and purposes the product is now defective because it lacks properties A and B.

For example, if the product were a washing machine ("New sleeker user interface, you can now start it by swiping the door, and the water temperature control is gone, it is now 60 Celcius always for everything because 95% of users find that easy"), and no matter what smallprint there is in the warranty, it would be utterly unacceptable.

Current N900 and former E6 user regretting Belle upgrade
--
Devices owned: 2110, 2110i, Cellular Data Card, 8110, 7110, 6210, 6310i, 6100, 9500, 6233, 5140i, 3109c, N900, E6-00
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mappo82

Re: Belle is a disaster for the E6: how to move on?

I fully agree. I spent money for a business phone, thinking I'd get a good product paying less than for a Blackberry. Symbian Anna had what I needed and that's why I chose E6. Now I got this USELESS upgrade and THAT'S NOT what I spent 300 euro for! I want my business phone back, Nokia must make this possible or provide E6 users with a decent update, as soon as possible.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Just playing devil's advocate, you don't have to use the huge widgets, you know? Just use the single 1x1 app shortcuts and other smaller widgets. Your E6 already has buttons to go straight to Contacts and Email etc.

And there are a huge number of under the hood advantages to Belle. See my AAS articles for the full list... e.g. http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/14188_The_Nokia_Belle_update_roll_ou.php

My own E6 hasn't been updated yet, mind you. Here's hoping I don't end up hating it too? :Cool:
Steve Litchfield
3-Lib (Tips/resources/Info for Nokia smartphones and Communicators) plus All About Symbian
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BellX_1

@slitchfield: on the mentioned page, it is stated that "Improvements in screen real estate, with slimmer top status bar and optional (in some apps) bottom toolbar, meaning that all phones will have a larger useful display area."

But on the E6 the bottom toolbar decreases available screen size in most apps, most noticeable in Web browser where the full view has gone. The bottom toolbar is not optional, you can't configure it yourself.

And: "Homescreen widgets will now come in up to five different sizes (1x1, 2x1, 4x1, 2x2, 4x4) and allow a greater degree of interactivity.", but on the E6 they are in only one size, always with large borders and other visual effects.

So beware of differences between phones, perhaps some aspects of Belle work differently depending on the type of device.

"Notes now brings up a white (and AMOLED-unfriendly...) editing screen.": that you can change by switching themes, "Dark Solid for Anna" does a good job. It is a shame that the lines of Notes have gone though.

When switching themes, I found you have to restart the phone, otherwise the theme doesn't get properly loaded in all apps. Stopping/starting apps is not enough. So when experimenting and loading one theme after another, you may end up with disfunctional combinations of black-on-black and white-on-white, but it may not be due to the last theme. Also you may end up with a good combination that isn't around anymore the next time you restart your phone.

--
Devices owned: 2110, 2110i, Cellular Data Card, 8110, 7110, 6210, 6310i, 6100, 9500, 6233, 5140i, 3109c, N900, E6-00
Please use plain text.
Sage

To be fair, usable screen real estate IS larger in almost all apps on the E6, surely? It's only in Web, with the new 'can't remove' toolbar that we hit a problem. Have to say that I rarely use Web anyway, most Internet services are best accessed through clients....

But yes, Nokia, if you're listening, make the toolbar in Web vanish and pop-up when a corner icon is tapped, like in Anna, please....
Steve Litchfield
3-Lib (Tips/resources/Info for Nokia smartphones and Communicators) plus All About Symbian
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BellX_1

@slitchfield: The usable screen is reduced also in Calendar, Mail and Contacts; less items fit on the screen. In Photo Editor, Photo browser and Camera the bottom bar is overlayed thus _technically_ not reducing usable screen, but these apps are now not as easy to use anymore. A third party app that I used all the time before looks squished and its font has resized such that it is unreadable.

As said, there are workarounds for everything; using a paper calendar, using web and Jabber client on a tablet or N900 via Joikuspot on E6 - but that's all quite cumbersome.

Another change that makes Belle hard to use is that the D-pad functionality is gone on the home screen and reduced everywhere else. I chose the E6 because of the physical keyboard and the D-pad. Quick, easy, intuitive: 1 home screen, 2 widgets, 4 icons, D-pad to select icon, click D-pad, use app, press red button, done. Now: Watch tiny screen carefully, aim precisely where to press at a small area and make sure not to accidentily swipe. It only works OK indoors, with patience, and two free hands. Had I known Nokia would reduce use of the D-pad I would never have bought the E6.

--
Please use plain text.
Sage

Ouch. You mean that you can't now switch homescreens or select anything using just the d-pad anymore?

PS. My E6 is still stuck on Anna. Maybe I should switch with someone unhappy with Belle!!
slitchfield@gmail.com
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

[ Edited ]

ouch again.

e6 already has a "tinny" (spelling courtesy: allaboutsymbian.com :smileyhappy: ) screen, and belle makes it all worse?!

i think nokia has got it all mixed up:

1. enterprise / business users

2. teenagers

3. people who just want to show off (could be from both the above)

earlier, nokia had a wonderful categorisation: E series, N series etc. basic spec- wise, both were competitive, but in features they differed. frinstance, e series had office and email capabilities while n series had multimedia capabilities. while both shared a few upgradable features (like N8 being being gifted with editable quickoffice), e7 has (or had?!) a 8mp camera that was good outdoors.

no comments on lumia.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BellX_1

The only thing you can do with the D-pad in the home screen is switch home screens (swipe action) but not move to and select individual shortcuts or widgets anymore.
--
Please use plain text.
Sage

Ah, ok. You've inspired me to screenshot the various parts of the interface on my Anna E6 - when and if I get Belle offered, I'll update and then do an editorial on this somewhat contentious subject for AAS... :Cool:
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Advisor

All I can say is like so many others have.   I really loved my e6 on Anna and never had one problem with it of any kind.   Since Belle it has been nothing but problems!  Programs don't work right and it freezes up randomly.   Some programs I used for my business needs are gone completely and others do not work effectively anymore.  Yes I miss the home screen with my upcoming meetings and other really useful business tools.   I have had this less than 6 months and I can't afford to ditch it and spend another 350 euros!   If I had been having problems before then I would say it was worth a try but going from 0 problems to nothing but problems is simply unacceptable.   This is Nokia's idea of increased functionality?   Very unhappy and stuck too!

Please use plain text.
Sage

Hmm.... programs not working properly and device freezes sounds more like remnants of Anna and incompatible apps getting in the way. If it were me, I'd *#7370# it and resync on my data and core apps....?
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Contributor
E6LB

Steve, please do a review of the Nokia E6 featuring Nokia Belle. I will wait for your review and decide based on your review whether I will update my E6 from Anna to Belle (v.111.130.0625) or not (read 'later'). Thank you!

But hey, Nokia promised and delivered - 'Same phone, new experience' (Official Nokia Belle Video on Youtube). Sorry for being sarcastic.

Cheers,

Lars 

Please use plain text.
Sage

Well, if Nokia would only approve Belle for my SIM-free product code 059H6F1 then I'd love to oblige....
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Steve and maybe others,   I did the complete format and reinstall then sync twice and nothing is different.   Still the phone is very unreliable.  Yesterday after meetings I thought it had been silent for a while which is unusual and found it was frozen for the last 2 hours.   I had to turn off and restart to get it going again.  The apps are only the ones that are supposed to work on Belle!  All others have been removed or not reinstalled.   Several I used daily are not available so I lost their functions completely.   Some others were update for Belle and work ok but some I think went backwards.   From the first day I purchased this phone until the Belle update a week ago this phone preformed flawlessly.  Since Belle it has been unreliable and very frustrating.  I realize a lot of people feel the same way here and in fact we are talking to the wind as it will not be resolved just like Apple never resolved the o/s problem on the 3g Iphone after messing it up with ios 4.  I should have learned my lesson from that mess but I have always felt confident in Nokia being stable with their products so when my phone told me it was time to upgrade I trusted the message.   My fault and this time I will have learned and not do that anymore.  Once I get a working phone I am happy with again it will not be upgraded!  For now I am stuck as I can't afford to do anything but limp along with this mess.   Just wish I had my E6 with Anna back!

Please use plain text.
Sage

All a fascinating story developing here (for me, as a Symbian writer, at least...!) When you say 'complete format', did that include E: and what apps had you left installed on microSD?

The real test is to wipe both, yank the card out and then see how the phone behaves 'naked'. i.e. with your data and email all in place but no apps. I'll bet you that most of the freezes and glitches go away?

The Wi-fi bug is a real pain and has been plaguing my E7 for months, mind you. I'll lay odds that Nokia hasn't fixed that and that, worse, the E6 has now inherited it 8-(
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Sage

What about in the app menu. Does the d-pad now work there at all?
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BellX_1

[ Edited ]

Yes, it works in the app menu. I use the app menu as an alternative to the home screens. D-pad also works in most menus. I wish I knew how to get rid of the apps I never use on the app menu, or how to sort them in some way, becuase there are many more on the app menu since Belle (and somehow the ones I need most often are all the way at the bottom).

--
Please use plain text.
Sage

But you've been able to do that for years on Symbian!

Just tap on the 'more' (three lines) icon and choose 'Arrange'. Or, to get rid of icons, just make a new folder 'Rubbish' (etc) and long tap and move unwanted icons into it.

Honestly, it's easy and should really speed up app navigation for you.
Steve Litchfield
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
crimson_wind

Anyone noticed significant battery performance decrease? When using Anna, battery limitation was not a problem for me, but now it looks like Belle is more power consuming firmware.

Please use plain text.