Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Belle on E6 - first impressions

feitefar

Belle on E6 - first impressions

Hi, I installed Belle on my E6 yesterday, and I'm a bit disappointed.

I'll start with the what I like:

• Phone seems to run smoother now
  • Back button is nice
  • Drop down notification is nice
  • The "free" grid on home screens is a good idea

but..

• The grid (on E6 at least) allows for very little content to be placed on each homescree, I   mean only 8 shortcuts? In Anna you could fit 12 in addition to clock, profiles and notifications. This is a big letdown for me.
  • The standard widgets take up huge amounts of spaces, and the smaller versions give very little info (digital/analog clock)
  • Battery indicator is no longer available (when pressing battery icon in the corner)
  • Email notification takes up a lot of spaces only allowing two additional shortcuts on a homescreen. When using both private and work email it takes up two whole screens, kinda defeating the point of extra homescreens to begin with.
  • Calendar widget takes up huge amount of space showing very little info (one line only)
  • Lack of some kind of weather widget
  • Generally very few useful and customizable widgets.
  • It feels like I get very little info to fit in the homescreen (because of the widget sizes and limited shortcut space)

Those are my impressions so far. I get sort of get the feeling that belle, although, looking and running nicely seems a bit half-hearted for the E6. I'm interested in how other E6 user see Belle?

Please use plain text.
feitefar

In addition: 

• This has been mentioned in other post, but it would be great to have new incoming emails notified in the same way as sms and calls 
  • The choices of notification sounds seems to be vastly reduced from what was available in Anna.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
atlochowski

I'm E6 owner too and I must to agree with yours opinion in 100%
Please use plain text.
Cihan

[ Edited ]

By the way I agrree both of you but what about battery life. It seems increased.

Please use plain text.
schamu

I share your disappointment and agree with your observations. I hoped for (expected?) a more tailored user interface for the E6. It worked on Anna but it looks like Nokia did not have the attention/time to pay to E6 specifics.

I think that the majority of our complaints with the UI are easily fixed with updating the widgets (smaller, custom size ones) and giving us application icon customization options (if the text is removed from underneath the icons maybe we can have 4 rows of 4 icons on one homescreen). Just a couple of hints for the Nokia designer folkes lurking around :smileywink:

However, I have some issues which are not UI related, but probably serious bugs limiting functionality... I have read about wifi and other connection problems in other threads. I have one too, and it is also a strange one. I did not have any problems with the update and setting up my inboxes (gmail and work exchange) was easy enough. Everything worked all right while I was on my home wifi network, but next morning I noticed that my gmail inbox did not want to synchronize (exchange worked fine on 3G) and I was unable to connect to the Nokia appstore or other services. I tried several hard resets during the day, but nothing seemed to change. I was so frustrated that I reinstalled the Belle update as soon as I got back home (redownloading many gigs of maps and all). Everything worked again (wifi), but next day the same story...

I'm starting to regret the early jump to the new OS. At the moment it gives me more headache than joy. And while I can find joy elsewhere, my E6 is an important tool which I cannot (and don't want to) substitute with something else right now. I really hope that I won't have to...

Looking forward to the bugfixes and the UI improvements. Please, NOKIA, make it quick, because people are running out of patience and there are plenty of alternatives...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
albyzas

Realy pitty what happened with you guys! I waited so long for Belle and I'm using E6 for already 8 months and thinkimg to update my phone. But despite from this info I think I'll wait couple of weeks until Belle will function 100% P.S. Be strong!
Nokia E6-00
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Vitoro

I absolutely agree with the post starter.

Belle's Calendar and E-mail widgets can be handy for bigger screens like E7, but they are useless on E6's tiny screen.

In addition I find navigation panes in the bottom and on top of the screen in applications like Web browser, E-mail, Contacts, Calendar etc to be inadequately large, they are using too much space. In web browser I couldn't find full screen mode with those panes hidden, so I started using Opera Mobile as a default web browser, just because Opera supports full screen mode.

Belle looks really nice and has good performance, but it's design is not E6-friendly. Nokia developers have to understand, that for E6's small screen every millimetre of space is of great value. 

And I wish there were more keyboard-shortcuts for most used applications. That's why we buy qwerty-phones - they have physical keybord, right? :smileywink:

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Almost all the cons are UI related and all UI-related cons are because of the inappropriate design for the small screen size. The widgets are huge. They have not-really-needed text unuderneath too. The new tabs and the task bar are huge considering the overall screen size. It's like the designers never actually tried to see what they came up with on an actual phone.

One more thing to add though, since the last update to Anna; the phone logs no longer contain any logs for the LAN and data connections.

Finally, I have to say that I hate losing the battery staus feature.

All in all, Belle is a great update that needs some minor tuning to be perfect.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xevilman

OK, so I downloaded this update a week ago.

Looks nice, however not so E6 friendly.

Still here is no notification light for missed calls or received messages. My suggestion would be, that after received message or missed call, the entire keyboard could be flashing in some longer intervals. This would be really nice and useful...

Next thing that bothers me is the size of e-mail boxes. Previous two line display was just right for visual notice of new messages and quick overview of content. New message box is too big for E6 screen. I liked that feature where I had three inboxes on one screen and not one screen for one inbox.

New icons are good looking and a bit too big E6 screen. I wish they were a bit smaller like in Anna operating system.

And what happened to the battery indicator with those small lines. That was a great way to assess remaining battery life. I don't like the new tiny battery icon and this should be immediately changed back to previous indicator, new is useless!

There also seems to be some problem with new music player. It seems to run smoothly but for one song only. When I push forward button, nothing happens. Do I really need to select the next song manually every time? I hope not...

And one more thing. E6 is a keyboard device if you like it or not. In this winter time when it's cold outside ad I wear gloves all the time, touch screen is not a big help. In Anna system I could browse all the icons on the screen with big navigation button and in Belle this function seems to be gone. It's not a nice fact, that in this freezing weather I need to remove my gloves first, to do something with my cool, good looking and envy flaming E6 black phone. Please get this feature back. Browsing only back and forward for different home screen is not enough.

And for the end, what's with the android look imitation??? Shouldn't Nokia be more Windows oriented company? Ditch this android imitation and get moving toward windows look. Windows 8 is coming and it looks like that it will be THE operating system for all devices on the market, so it would be a good thing to keep up with trends.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JWHK

I agree that the Belle is a big improvement but I totally agree with xevilman's comments!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
giveitall

I agree with the comments above. I am dissapointed with the calendar widget. I should have waited a few more weeks before I ugrade to Belle. Hope that NOKIA makes Belle more E6 friendly

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xevilman

[ Edited ]
And one more suggestion. I keep my E6 in this sexy leather sleeve from Samsonite that is just perfect for E6. This phone does not have a strong vibration function and screen shuts down when something is near the sensor.

It would be nice if the screen should be on until you can answer the call. After that, shutting down the screen when it's near your face, it's a welcome function.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
xangelfacex

[ Edited ]

I was so happy to get the Belle update

The first impression was really nice I like the new look but like the author said  on the nokia E6

- A lot of tones disappeared (Email 1 but no email 2 3 or 4, Alarm 1 but no alarm 2 3 or 4 and so on)

- Only 4 profiles : General, Silent, Meeting and Offline
- It's not possible to remove the shutter sound on the camera like it was before

Please use plain text.
alphatejas

i was actually looking for an insight on how the belle has featured on e6.

i guess i should just stick to anna for now.

it really is sad on the parts you just mentioned about lesser space.

plus, the unavailability of lots of apps just spoils the fun of having the update.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Vitoro

xangelfacex wrote:

- A lot of tones disappeared (Email 1 but no email 2 3 or 4, Alarm 1 but no alarm 2 3 or 4 and so on)

- Only 4 profiles : General, Silent, Meeting and Offline
- It's not possible to remove the shutter sound on the camera like it was before

You still can add new profiles manually through Settings.

But I agree on alarm/reminder/email tones and especially on camera shutter sound!

Imagine that you're in a meeting and willing to take a quick picture of some whiteboard drawing or presentation - I don't think your colleagues or bosses will be happy hearing those camera clicks or beeps. Not nice at all.

Please use plain text.
atulbhagwat

Your first impressions are correct.

Also this mobile runs on firmware basically designed for Touch type full screen phone and is adapted for E6 in hurry. So are these complaints.

To take of all these things they need to redesign everything for size which seems Nokia is not willing at the moment.

These are my impressions and I am also trying to adjust to whatever is offered.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
arunkmr

I am also a Nokia E6 user, I am 100% agary with your Belle openion, Current Belle is designed for Nokia N8, E7 and other Big tpouch screen.  I will recommend nokia to release new belle software for Nokia E6.

No use  of 6 Home screen, for bussiness user  want email, calender, socal and contact on single screen, which is not possible on Current version of Belle for Nokia E6.

----

AK

Please use plain text.
Contributor
giveitall

Battery life on my E6 is much, much, much worse after the Belle upgrade. I regret upgrading, almost everything worked better on Anna. Nokia please improve!!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xevilman

I think it's about time that someone from nokia posts message about how hard they are working to improve this Belle software.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xCyberMagexx

I like Belle much more than Anna,only bug i have when updated to Belle is with wireless connection on home page is low and unstable but when i check Settings-Connectivity-Wi-Fi-My connection Details it says signal Strong (100%).

Please use plain text.