Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Browsing pc files through WiFi on E52-help?

Advisor

Browsing pc files through WiFi on E52-help?

There are may extras on the phone,but none is explained right.

So - I have a laptop and an E52.

I have created an access point on the pc so that I'm using the Lan Internet as a wifi access point for the phone to browse the net.

Everything's OK, but I wonder is there an app or something else so that I can browse and download files from the pc - music or docs, through that wireless connection. And if there's a way - pls explain me how, what apps and options should be used.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Re: Browsing pc files through WiFi on E52-help?

You have to setup a VPN connection. But it is not that simple. Your router or accesspoint has to support this and you need a fixed IP and certificats. There is a lot of info on the net so, good luck.
‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm asking for some kind of an app, like for the 5800 - it connected through the wifi and shared sertain folders.

Another question - why isn't there an option to just connect to a given wifi access point - the phone's only option is to start browsing, there's no connect/disconnect which is pretty damn stupid, while I have at least to apps which don't ask for connection, but expect to be connected, and I have to open a web page in order to connect to the wifi?!?!?!?!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Please use plain text.
Advisor

You don't need to connect to an access point for the phones to use it. If an app is configured to use an access point it will connect when necessary. You can manually connect however by selecting "Search for WLAN" from the scanning wizard on the home screen and use the left softkey to connect.

SJ

Please use plain text.
Advisor

That's the problem dude - when I press the left soft key /labeled connect in the case when in the Search for wifi menu/ it asks me to start browsing or to swith searching off, there's no option to manually connect to wifi.

And I have to programs, that expect to be connected, this may be a soft problem, but they try to connect without asking for an access point and thus they can'y connect - one is a VNC client, the other - an FTP.

Please use plain text.