Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E-70 WLAN Issues

Counsellor

10-Sep-2006
07:45 PM
rufao wrote:
seraphim hit the nail on the head - you need to check the router.

there is no way of checking the ip on the phone.

just because you are not near the router, does not mean you cannot check the ip there

You didn't get my point - I am talking about HotSpots and public routers. Not something that I have admin acess to.

But if you say there is no way to find out IP - I guess there is some room for a little java script development on S60.

Thanks
Nokia E-70 Firmware ver 1.0610.05.07 30-05-06 RM-10
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

if your in a hotspot and you plan to run javascript to find your ip address, you will only get the external ip, not the internal.

if you are in a hotspot, just ask the admin for you address.

wht do you need it?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

10-Sep-2006
07:55 PM
seraphim wrote:
if your in a hotspot and you plan to run javascript to find your ip address, you will only get the external ip, not the internal.

if you are in a hotspot, just ask the admin for you address.

wht do you need it?

I guess something equivalent of ipconfig batch in dos shall give me my local ip.

I wanna make it manually assigned static for that particular AP.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

you realise that isnt available on symbian phones?

you will find that no public hot spot will allow you to have a static ip....

or do you only use one public hotspot?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

10-Sep-2006
08:09 PM
seraphim wrote:
you realise that isnt available on symbian phones?

you will find that no public hot spot will allow you to have a static ip....

or do you only use one public hotspot?

what isn't available....?

If manual IP is in routers IP range - why wud it not be a valid IP?

I use a few of them very regularly. Trace back to a few posts to see how this DHCP IP retention idea emerged.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

the ipconfig command, or an equivalent...

do you actually know what you are talking about? the things you say are very strange...

when it comes to a public hotspot, you will not be allowed to have a static ip in the wlan there, unless you either know the admin or apply for a static ip.

even if you write some javascript on a webpage, it will only show your external ip address - not your internal one.

symbian doesnt have any command line interface, or command to get the internal ip address of a phone on a network (to the best of my knowledge anyway).
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Incorrigible.

Heard of Symbian S60 SDK? Read word "development"

As usual personal comments ignored.

:smileyhappy:

Quote of the day:

Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion.
Robertson Davies
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)

Yogi,

Your commets and actions here on Nokia Support Discussions are far from contrstructive. There is no place here to make comments against someone based on there sex.

This is your final warning on this matter - improve the tone of your posts.

Any further off topic comments here and this thread will be closed.

To make it very clear - comments made on sex, race etc will not be tolerated at all on Nokia Support Discussions.

Regards
-
Karim
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have no problems connecting to my wireless network when I'm close to the router, but it's well nigh impossible to connect when I'm on one of the repeater access points. The router is a D-Link 604T, the access points are D-Link 2000AP+. No other devices have issues connecting to the internet, only the E70.

I've patched the E70 to the latest firmware, it made no difference. The E70 reports 100% signal strength and yet still can't connect.

Any suggestions as to what I can try?

Karen
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Is this forum active? I'm rather surprised not to have had any response at all - the problem is ongoing ...

Karen
Please use plain text.

I just got the e70, WOW...!!
i try to connct hrought the WLAN, i have a router at home and everything works great.
When i setup the access point i am asked for the WEP key. The network is setup for 10 digit code. the phone allows me only 5 digit for 64bit encryp and 15 i think for 128bit, even though my router wlan is setup on a 64bit encryp and has a 10 digit key? PLEASE HELP
Please use plain text.
Advisor

a 5 key code will be ASCII, 10 key will be the same code but expressed in hexadecimal format. Lots of converters out on the 'web if you search. It's long been the bane of installers when you install a router that only accepts HEX & have devices that only accept ASCII ...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I've had the E70 for about 1 week now and I cannot get any reliable use out of the WLAN either. I have tried all kinds of things including formatting, firmware upgrades etc. I notice similar behaviour to what was stated in the original post to this thread. IF I set a static IP to the E70, while the E70 is trying to connect to the wireless AP (Netgear WTG624v3) I am able to get ping responses from the E70 from other systems on the network. Then E70 eventually fails and web page never loads. Once I select disconnect from the advanced menu in the browser the E70 IP stops responding to pings.
Current E70 firmware is 2.0618.07.10 RM-24

On a large enterprise network comprised of Cisco AP's, I can connect and get a few pages but then it drops. Signal strength is very eratic and eventually hits 0% and fails even though a PC right next to me has a solid 85% signal and no issues. Once i turned down the Tx power to 10 mw it seemed to help a bit but still not stable according to the connection manager monitor function.

Surprised there hasn't been any official answers posted here yet.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yes, I'm very disappointed by the lack of official response. And I note that the E70 no longer seems to be available here in Australia, I wonder if it's been possibly withdrawn as a lemon - which it's not, other than this WLAN issue, from my viewpoint.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm in the states and it was just recently released here, independant of official GSM carrier support which isn't a problem just the WiFi. I think the phone is very well equipped with software like music player, email, camera, voip etc but just need to get the WiFi working. After talking with Nokiausa tech support 3 times, they told me to send mine back to the distributer I bought it from in exchange for a new one so I'm working on that, hopefully the next one will be a success.

markus
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Let us all know how you get on - I suspect there are quite a few people with this issue. But I get the feeling it's OS related, not hardware ... too unpredictable to be hardware, like the not infrequent OS hang-ups I get, like Win95 used to do to us all.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I will, it will probably take about a week or so if they don't give me any trouble with the exchange process.

How long does a fully charged battery last on yours? I'm curious as the one I had only lasted 2 maybe three days and Nokia claims WLAN Standby Time up to 8 days I understand that can vary a lot depending on usage of the features etc but 2 days doesn't seem like much.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Two days, if I'm lucky. The battery goes without warning from 5 bars to switching off due to lack of power. My old 6310 could go nearly three weeks!

And I hardly use WLAN at all - 'cos I can only use it near my router, & I'm not often within its range ...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

OK so it's not just me for the battery life. I wonder if any of that is due to the WiFi staying connected after exiting the web browser. I figure the setting in tools/settings/wireless LAN I think it's called "show availability" has a large impact on battery life as well. When I got the phone, that was set to "never" and during various troubleshooting I had turned it on to every 10 minutes.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Just tried that on my E70. The battery lasted just under 3 days ... not impressed, Nokia!
Please use plain text.