Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E-70 WLAN Issues

Mobile Guru

Re: E-70 WLAN Issues

ok, but get this.

my organisation tested the e60, e61 and e70 back to back to see which model would be used to replace our 9300i's

the e60 at the time hade no blackberry and the e70 has a camera - so we settled for the e61.

but.

we also tested each model on a wlan. all passed apart from the e60. there were 10 of us using these for three weeks.

i used the e70 on hotspots, at home on a zyxel and dlink router. i also used it at work with a linksys ap - no problems at all.

in fact, i preferred it to the e61 as it was smaller.

so no, there is no widespread issue with the e70, this is more than likely just an environmental thing.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

07-Sep-2006
08:04 PM
seraphim wrote:
ok, but get this.

my organisation tested the e60, e61 and e70 back to back to see which model would be used to replace our 9300i's

the e60 at the time hade no blackberry and the e70 has a camera - so we settled for the e61.

but.

we also tested each model on a wlan. all passed apart from the e60. there were 10 of us using these for three weeks.

i used the e70 on hotspots, at home on a zyxel and dlink router. i also used it at work with a linksys ap - no problems at all.

in fact, i preferred it to the e61 as it was smaller.

so no, there is no widespread issue with the e70, this is more than likely just an environmental thing.

OK.... so could you kindly elaborate what exactly is an "environmental" thing and how is one supposed to deal with it?

I see most people complaining here that it does not work for about half of APs, more than half of the time. Are we supposed to blame it on so called environment at so many different places?

Message Edited by yogi on 08-Sep-2006
04:57 AM

Message Edited by yogi on 08-Sep-2006
04:58 AM

Nokia E-70 Firmware ver 1.0610.05.07 30-05-06 RM-10
Please use plain text.
Sage
awesome

07-Sep-2006
08:04 PM
seraphim wrote:

Okay, could you please explain to me why my Nokia 9300i doesn't have this issue if it's environmental thing?
Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri AKA Awesome
Arab Portal
Phones: Waiting for E9x with Scheduled SMS on it, and 9300i features..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

i think what seraphim is saying is this:

not all wifi vendors observe the same quality or adhere to the 802.11b/g standard as much as others.

I was in a similar situation to seraphim - i needed to test the e61 and e70. I had no problems connecting the e70 to any wlans i tried.

basically, if you have a problem with the connection i would reccomend that you ask nokia to look at the issue for you. you never know - there could be something there that they can help you with.

if they cant, then you need to take it up with the manufacturer of your equipment - could be as simple as updating the firmware.

when it comes to your 9300i, well thats a completely different phone. its great you can connect with it, but you have indicated that the issue is with your e70 so lets see if anything comes of that one.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

quite true - the environmental issues are precisely those, where you are and the equipment you use
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

09-Sep-2006
01:03 PM
seraphim wrote:
quite true - the environmental issues are precisely those, where you are and the equipment you use

... thats right. And a good device/equipment is one that has minimal enviornmental issues. Particularly true for a world-phone. I would expect my smart phone to be compatible with a vast majority of APs and work properly out of the box.

Unfortunately, a majority of "real-world" users have a contrary experience.

It is easy to say that get help from Support center. But a world traveller would neither have time nor knowledge about these centers, which do have have very good reputation either.

....my two cents
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

right, i am not sure what you are talking about now...

basically, you two are part of the miniscule group of people who get problems connecting over wlan. so it cannot be the phone.

your previous comments confuse me - this has nothing to do with travelling the world
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

09-Sep-2006
08:29 PM
seraphim wrote:
right, i am not sure what you are talking about now...

basically, you two are part of the miniscule group of people who get problems connecting over wlan. so it cannot be the phone.

your previous comments confuse me - this has nothing to do with travelling the world

No need to acknowledge your lack of understanding, its quite obvious.

Do they pay you?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

im sorry, but i really have no idea what you are talking about - you realise this thread is on the e70 etc?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

09-Sep-2006
09:53 PM
seraphim wrote:
im sorry, but i really have no idea what you are talking about - you realise this thread is on the e70 etc?

I know -

we all are talking about "E70"

and

you are talking about "etc"

:smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yogi, thanks for bringing in the humour, it's always a great chuckle :smileytongue:

Other than the still persistant aversion of Linksys AP's, I've also noticed that the E70 likes to ignore the DHCP " Leases given to it and decides to check in like clockwork every 30 minutes exactly:

Sep 9 23:18:51 udhcpd[28193]: received REQUEST from 00:17:b0:XX:XX:XX

Sep 9 23:18:51 udhcpd[28193]: sending ACK of 192.168.3.6 to 00:17:b0:XX:XX:XX

Sep 9 23:48:51 udhcpd[28193]: received REQUEST from 00:17:b0:XX:XX:XX

Sep 9 23:48:51 udhcpd[28193]: sending ACK of 192.168.3.6 to }}} 00:17:b0:XX:XX:XX

Extremely strange, since I hand out 4 day/5760 minute leases, anybody else experiencing this?

On a maybe less technically valid point but still worthy of noting, I've noticed that UDP sizes are indeed undersized as per previous post, I notice that when I break the rules (not that it should change the way a packet should be formed!) and try and do NAT traversal with a SIP login to my Asterisk machine, I get loads of:

kernel: ip_nat_mangle_udp_packet: undersized packet

Complaints from my router, the data gets there, and SIP works just fine, but it most definitely is complaining about malformed packets. - Since the NAT-travelsal-does-not-work argument will be used, just ignore me :smileytongue:

I'll be very interested to stick in and capture 30mins or so of ethernet E70-talk and have a closer look at how those packets look coming from a working and a "not working" or "slow" AP (as discussed in this thread), unfortunately I'm unable to do so due to some logistical reasons currently ):

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hmmm .. thats interesting. I also figured that when the images are loaded the connection is dropped. Could it be due to the large MTU size on the router?

So it seeks a new IP address everytime. Which should still be available to it from router. But mine also asks for WEP key rather erratically. Can not say if it will ask for key in the beginning/middle when it drops.

Good point - I will also check log in my router.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yogi,
Images not showing or big downloads failing is typically a MTU issue, but that should not drop your WiFi connection, to be absolutely sure, just grab a big jpg (anything above 1k will be more than sufficient) or other file and see if goes through ok.

I've not had the WEP key-reask issue yet, but that I only use at work which I guess is only 33% of ones time :smileytongue:

Cheers,
E
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Estaga,

It is possible to manually assign an IP address to an access point. When configuring the AP press Options > Advanced and assign IP, Gateway, DNS etc. That should take care of the DHCP lease retention problem.

Cheers!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

well then - at least not 'all' e70 owners are having problems eh? :smileyhappy:

have a quick read of the sip posts here, there are a number of working configs there that should help you.

also, check the e70 faq, it mentions that the eseries cant negotiate connections through stun etc right now, but should do in a future firmware.

i use the e61 right now with no problems on asterisk
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

10-Sep-2006
04:05 PM
rufao wrote:
well then - at least not 'all' e70 owners are having problems eh? :smileyhappy:

have a quick read of the sip posts here, there are a number of working configs there that should help you.

also, check the e70 faq, it mentions that the eseries cant negotiate connections through stun etc right now, but should do in a future firmware.

i use the e61 right now with no problems on asterisk

I guess, it will solve the problem to a large extent if someone can tell me a way to find out DHCP assined IP on E70. Because then one can make it a manually assigned static IP (atleast for the frequently used APs)

Does anyone know how to find DHCP assigned IP on E70?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

if you wanted to find the ip assigned by the router to the phone, you need to check on the router

i must say, you seem to be very aggressive here so far
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

10-Sep-2006
07:30 PM
seraphim wrote:
if you wanted to find the ip assigned by the router to the phone, you need to check on the router

i must say, you seem to be very aggressive here so far

Thats only when I have access to the router. But when I do - I most likely also have a PC/laptop (caz its my home or office).

I would like to know if I can know IP of the phone from phone itself.

Only technical coments please.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

there is no way to check it on the phone, as i said, check the router...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

seraphim hit the nail on the head - you need to check the router.

there is no way of checking the ip on the phone.

just because you are not near the router, does not mean you cannot check the ip there
Please use plain text.