Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E 72 heats up on 3g

jaykshah_1989

E 72 heats up on 3g

I live in Ahmedabad,Gujarat.I recently stated using the 3G network on my E 72.

But the phone heats up when surfing the internet and during the normal voice call.

During the voice call it heats up so much that it can't even be placed on ear.

I visited the Nokia Care Centre as well, but they say this problem comes with the advantage of 3G!!

Please help!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

it should not heat up that much that you cant touch it to be honest,i would send it in for an inspection.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
jaykshah_1989

Thanks for you reply!

I didn't say that I can not touch it. But it becomes very hot to place on ear..

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
ashishkumar

I have nokia E63 and I faced the same problem when I started using 3g from Airtel. Phone was heating very much  and wasn’t feeling like touching phone near to ears.

Totally irritating.

Looks like nokia 3g compatibility is very bad and Battery backup was drastically down.

Well I have stopped using 3G now so everything is back to normal.

For the test, You goto Menu > Tools > Settings > Phone > Network > Network Mode

Change Network Mode to GSM instead of dual.

Now You can feel without 3g phone is fine. A temporary solution still things to be done from nokia side.

Please use plain text.
ashishkumar

Sorry to say... But phone heats very much, u cant talk for 5 minutes continues.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ymmv

[ Edited ]

>aykshah_1989 wrote:

>I live in Ahmedabad,Gujarat.I recently stated using the 3G network on my E 72. ..

>During the voice call it heats up so much that it can't even be placed on ear.

For 3G, the radio in the phone needs more energy, so it will becomer warmer, especially if your 3G signal is weak and the phone puts its broadcast level to maximum.

When the ambient temperature is high, the air can take up less heat, leading to a warmer device.

However the phone should never become so hot during operation that it cannot be used any more.

A broken/bad/replacement battery can have a higher internal resistance and heat up a lot. A battery that gets very hot should be replaced because it may damage the phone or can even explode in the worst case.

Maybe you want to check:

- How good is the 3G signal?

- Does the battery get very hot?

- What happens when you switch the phone to GSM only?

- What happens if you are in a "cold" (airconditioned) environment?

Last not least: What happens when you use a Headset?

I had this experience once. My phone was not hot but very warm. When I used a headset it was normal. So the reason was me pressing the thing to my ear with some force during a very long call.. :smileywink:

E72-1, product code 0586718, firmware 022.007
Please use plain text.
jaykshah_1989

Thanks for sparing your time to look at the issue.

To answer your questions

1. 3G signal strength is most of the time perfect i.e.. I see all the bars on network

2. Yes the battery gets hot, this intern makes the back cover and the whole phone very hot

3. When I use only GSM mode, then also the phone gets heated but less than that of while using UMTS(3G) mode

4. When using in cold environment the amount of heat is less compared to normal environment.

I didn't try it with headphones but I don't think that would make any difference as the part which gets most heated is the back cover i.e.. Due to battery heat up.

Let me know if this info is fine or not.

Waiting for a permanent solution.. :smileyindifferent:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ymmv

[ Edited ]

>jaykshah_1989 wrote:

>Let me know if this info is fine or not.

To me (I am not a Nokia official, just another guy with an E72) this sounds all quite OK so far.

The question is, does the battery overheat or is it the phone itself.

To be sure, the best would be to have a second E72. That way you could exchange batteries and find out which part is the culprit.

There is another interesting fact in this context: The battery (or at least its full capacity) is specified by Nokia (Europe Site) for a temperature up to 25 degrees Celsius.

So I would say if the phone gets hot as described even if the temperature is 25° or below, there is definitely a technical problem.

E72-1, product code 0586718, firmware 022.007
Please use plain text.
jaykshah_1989

Okay...I can try this...thanks
Please use plain text.
jaykshah_1989

Hey..any update on this?? That can help me out..
Please use plain text.