Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E5 Restart problem

Advisor
kparicharak

E5 Restart problem

Nokia E5 - such a beautiful phone. I love it. It is feature packed, no-nonsense phone. But lately it has started restarting on its own. It happens couple of times in a day. sometimes it restarts even when i am not operatint it. At times, it simply turns off (without restart).
Is there any solution on this? I see many people with the same problem with their E5.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: E5 Restart problem

ok have you checked for a firmware update,have you installed any apps?

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kparicharak

Firmware is up-to-date. checked using ovi suite and software update option on mobile. I installed some applications like e-moze, Waze and google maps. I suspected e-moze is causing problems, so i uninstalled it. But still the problem continues.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bubada

I am crazy about this problem. I bought this phone two weeks ago. Aside from restarting many times both when talking and leaving it alone, it is lagging, network setting is awkward. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kparicharak

Visited Nokia Care. They reupdated the software (same version). Before inserting memory card, I foramted it as per their suggestions. But the problem is back. It has restarted some 3-4 times a day. Not sure what my next step should be.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kparicharak

So I again visited Nokia Care. They kept the phone for 2-3 days. When I collected the phone, I found that they have just reinstalled the software. Now this is what exactly they have done last time also. But somehow Nokia care does not want to do anything more that reinstall of software. As expected, this did not work. My phone is again started restarting.

Nokia care says there might be problem with memory card. What kind of problem? They think it is virus problem. So can you please scan my memory card to confirm? No Sir, we do not scan the memory card. So I don't know how exactly they are going solve this problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
shadeslayer84

So what happened finally? did you got the problem resolved or you dumped your phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
eljunPacomios

Huh! A virus problem they say? Another assumption Nokia Care should have not told.

This has the same problem as this 2 links:

/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/E5-won-t-start-after-multitasking-freeze/m-p/840827/highlight/false#M8...

/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/Nokia-E5-Restarts/m-p/771610/highlight/false#M77935

This is very alarming for Nokia. For me, allow me to say this. DEGRADING. I am very happy then, but turned out to be very DISAPPOINTED. I do not want to say these words but I want to speak to everyone who had this really bad experience.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kflyer

If your phone is under warranty, and the issue is a defect, I believe you're qualified for a replacement phone

Mobile Royale - Latest News, Reviews and Software for Mobiles

Aero Everyday - Aviation News and Insights

GoMobile Forums-The best mobile technology discussions

Please visit http://alifeofmisery.blogspot.com or www.miserylife.tk and help someone smile.

Dreaming of a 5320XpressMusic - 128MB RAM makes up for the 2MP cam !
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kparicharak

Update - I have given phone back to Nokia Care for third time.  This time they have sent it to 'company'. It's been now 12 days. In meanwhile, I am using my old Motorola V3i. It was really good phone in its days. 

I hope this time is final. One of this will happen 1. Nokia will fix the problem 2. They will replace the handset 3. I finally fall for Andriod craze or go for safe and boring Blackberry.

Frankly, I really liked E5, so i sincerely hope this problem will get resolved.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
shadeslayer84

Talking of Android, even I cannot keep Android out of my mind. The UI is just spell bounding. I myself have considered several time selling off my Nokie E5 and going for an Android. There are so many of them in the market. Its just the form factor of this phone that holds me back. But my next phone is surely going to be an Android.

BTW, Best Of Luck kparicharak

Please use plain text.
Advisor
eljunPacomios

[ Edited ]

Best of luck kparicharak. After two of my Nokia E5-00 phones have died down for less than a week use (the first within 3 days and the other within 2 days), I immediately replaced it with another unit. I am now happy with my Nokia X6-00.

Just a piece of suggestion if you do not mind, If I were you, I would replace the phone already and not hope that the phone will get fixed again.

For me, it was not easy, I had to talk and negotiate with the retailer, contact the admin of the mall, and emailed the Department of Trade and Industry just to have my two phones replaced with another model. Both my old Nokia E5-00 phones bugged down and never turned on again in less than a week. In just a week time for two phones.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Shenoy

I have downloaded Emoze, Waze and Google maps. all are wokring fine. I didint find device restart problem so far.

Which RM and SW version you are using right now:confused:press *#0000# to know this) 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
raengIT

I buy nokia since the 90's. I always love them and i use to buy a new model each 2 years...

Now i live in Bologna, Italy, and in this christmass i bought in the "Marco Polo Expert" a brand new e5. (ticket 20/12/2010 14-07 475)

After 3 days i could notice that it restarts alone sometimes. (sometimes i hear inside my bag the nokia intro song - it's my E5 restarting...).

Actually is not a big deal, since it works when i need it...

The problem is that sometimes it restarts also when i'm in a phone call with someone!!!! It's very embarrassing... yesterday i had my boss in the other side of the line and i shut off in his face. It was difficult to locate him again and explain the problem.

I took it back to the store where i bought it and they said that i should contact the nokia assistence.

How bothering! I paid 249 EUROS in this mobile and with less than 1 month i need to take it to the assistence???

I'm very dissapointed with NOKIA, and it is a pity because i liked a lot this model...

Now i'll take to the assistence and i'll keep feeding this forum with the nexts chapters of this story.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oneomega

hey guys,i bought e5 two months ago...really guys..it's drivin me crazy:smileymad:..it restarts whenever i uuse some application..but i cant say particular app.it restarts even when i am not working..it switchoffs some times..i have no idea what to do abt it...pls help me out..would nokia will replace my handset if i complain to them...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kparicharak

For some reason my last message posted in not appearing.

Anyway, upadte is I have now got new E5 as replacement. Using it for over a week. There is no restart yet. But keeping my finger crossed, as last time this problem started in two weeks.

Please use plain text.
amoresca

i have the same problem with my E5, i bought it 4 months ago and while to talking to somebody on the phone it just died down, i thought no charge on the battery. I charge it  for one hour it did not re start and charge it again for two hours still did not start. I went to see a technician and they told me that it is a software problem and need to reformat it and they are charging me for $35. Can i download a software to reformat my E5. Can somebody help me with this problem. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

Your only reformat options would be through Nokia's Ovi Suite or Software Updater, but these require the phone be charged and powered on. If you can't start the phone at all, I would be skeptical that it could be fixed by anything but some new hardware. But did the technician try a new battery? I doubt that's the problem, but it would be the simplest repair.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
laralies

I'm also a dissatisfied owner of a Nokia E5! The phone simply turns off without any reason and it has been to Nokia care about a week ago, the phone worked for 2 days and now I'm having the same problem again!

Curious: when the phone is cold it works, when the temperature is normal; it doesn't! Bizar...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Knightangel

Its due to heavy usage of the device...

Please use plain text.