Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E51 battery life

Contributor
craft

E51 battery life

I just bought a E51 3 weeks ago. Although it's a good model, my phone has a very big problem: the battery doesn't last no where near the 310 h that it should. I personally think that the problem is with the phone I got and not the model it's self.

After a while I started to notice that I was charging the phone way to often. I tested it once and without using most of the features (I only talked for about 5 minutes and scrolled threw some pdfs) it lasted about 34 hours.

I am aware that using bluetooth or wlan takes up a lot of the battery so I have them turned off almost always.
When I bought it, it was sealed and bought from a serious dealer. I will go to the shop in a while to force them to repair it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a function within the phone that takes up a lot of battery and is on by default? Or is there a program that I can install which will monitor what program is consuming how much?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
friedbrains

Re: E51 battery life

try to set the Network Mode to GSM only, it also helps reduce battery usage...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Dear all,

I have done an upgrade for my E51 to the latest version 200.34.36 and the battery is running out after 3 days instead of 6-7 days. Any suggestions?
After upgrade I have restored all my settings.
The battery is quiet new (3 months).
Should the Network mode to be set up to GSM only?

Regards,

Catalin
Please use plain text.
Contributor
craft

[ Edited ]
English:
I switched to GSM only like you said, but I can't tell if there's a difference just yet. I recharged it again last night and this time it lasted me for 25.5h.
I also have the latest upgrade according to Nokia Updater. Any other ideas?

Message Edited by craft on 22-Jun-2008 09:25 AM

Moderator note: Non English portion of post removed. Please bear in mind this is a user to user discussion forum conducted in English

Message Edited by dazz19 on 23-Jun-2008 05:05 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
friedbrains

22-Jun-2008 04:04 AM
catalin6100 wrote:
Dear all,

I have done an upgrade for my E51 to the latest version 200.34.36 and the battery is running out after 3 days instead of 6-7 days. Any suggestions?
After upgrade I have restored all my settings.
The battery is quiet new (3 months).
Should the Network mode to be set up to GSM only?

Regards,

Catalin

as mentioned above, to conserve on battery, try to turn off autosearch for wifi, set to gsm, turn of wifi and bt as well...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a similar problem. After installing firmware 200.34.36, my phone battery lasted only 1 day with minimum talk time (~15 min), no WIFI, no BT, 5-10 SMS. Prior to firmware upgrade, I charge my phone 2x a week.

I hope Nokia recognize this problem and issue fix.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

The day I received my E51, i upgraded it to 200.34.36. I can barely get a 3/4 a day with Mail for Exchange running in the background.

This is with wifi switched off, locked to GSM mode.

The E50 and E90 easily lasts at least two days, in the exact same locations, same amount of usage, same network, same mailserver, etc.

I returned the phone and got a new one. I upgraded the firmware as well, not aware of this thread, and to my disappointment, the battery life is absolutely terrible. Now I wish I tried 100.x for a while... that would have let me definitively say it was the firmware!

no fixes yet? I find it difficult to believe the E51's battery is meant to be this poor when running a business app!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
craft

Is there anyway to put the previous firmware back?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I got the E51 battery problem solved !! This is what I did:
1. Using Nokia PC Suite 'Backup', I copied everything and save ithe file in local drive.

2. Re-install update 200.34.36. BTW: according to Nokia bulletin, it is not possible to roll-back.

3. Once the update completed (you have to make sure the process is finished !), I restored using 'Backup'.

The phone battery is back to 'pre' update condition.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
craft

Just did what you said. I somewhat doubt it works but who knows.
I have 100.34.20
If I'll be back here in about 12hours then it doesn't work.
Anyway, thanks for being the only one that at least proposed a solution.
Please use plain text.
Employee

If you disable Mail for Exchange, does you battery life go back to normal? If so, I'm guessing something changed in your access point and this is not allowing the MfE heartbeat interval to increase. What is the heartbeat interval shown in the MfE settings?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I just switched sims and started using it as a voice-only phone, and the battery life is great!

I set the heartbeat interval to 7 before... but for some reason it's now set to 1! I've changed it back to 7, hopefully that fixes the problem.

I remember the interval changing whenever I do a restore from the memory card ... it probably got reset to 1 when i did the firmware reinstall as mentioned by Igoei, which unfortunately didn't help. :smileysad:

I'll be back in a few days to post my findings either way! Thanks for mentioning the heartbeat interval, i took it for granted that it wouldn't change itself. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I noticed something unusual.. I had MfE 2.2.0 installed. I changed the heartbeat interval to 7, after ten minutes or so, it changed itself to 3. If I leave it longer, it drops to 1 by itself.

i just uninstalled it and installed MfE 2.0.0. It has been about 15 minutes and it hasn't changed itself yet... I'll report back if it makes a difference!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
craft

What's this MfE you are talking about? Is it supposed to be a battery drainer? I don't think I have it, unless it comes by default with the phone, and if it does it's probably off in my phone.

I did what Igoei said and it helped. It about doubled the battery from around 25h to 56h. I'm still not 100% sure it's cured.
Please use plain text.
Employee

MfE 2.0.0 has fixed heartbeat, while 2.3.0 and later have dynamic heartbeat. MfE 2.3.0 and alter tries to get the longest heartbeat possible in your environment. FYI, heartbeat only matters for Always on.

When you tell me that your heartbeat is only 1 minute, it tells me that you are not using the best AP for your network. Maybe because you have not paid enough or maybe there are multiple ones your provider allows. Try another one. Here in the US, I use AT&T and get 30 minutes, which is great.

Your battery life is being severely impacted because the phone is constantly being disconnected and then using lots of power to reconnect. This is with 2.3.0.

Anyone using Always on with heartbeat less than about 8-10 is suffering from this problem. Use the right access point, or switch to interval sync (hourly or whatever). With some carrier's access point settings you can simply remove the proxy settings under AP 'Advanced' settings. Other time this will not work at all. Make a copy of your AP before trying this.

MfE 2.0.0 is trying 15 minute heartbeat, and I assume failing (but not giving an error message). In a few minutes it tries again. Maybe this allows better battery life, but you are not really Always on. You may be disconnected most of the time. I forget the exact behavior of 2.0.0 now that it's been a while.

If you pay attention to the MfE application (where you configure your settings), you may see this.

Your AP is configured to drop you after 1 minute because it thinks your connection is inactive. However Activesync requires connections with no activity to maintain Always on.

Here is a link about Windows Mobile implementation of this feature. Nokia has implemented the same mechanism.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997252.aspx

There might also be more information about this in the MfE Troubleshooting Guide.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I found the MS doc and came to the same conclusion. So far, battery is normal with a higher heartbeat interval.

I do get disconnected, but it reconnects within the interval, so i get a few minutes delay if the email comes in at the wrong time. Not really the always-on experience, but it's mostly-on. :smileyhappy:

My provider only has one AP that i know of, and i have plenty of quota left on it. I just removed the proxy setting, hopefully I can use a higher interval now.
Please use plain text.
Employee

Let me know if removing the proxy helps and what your carrier is (and country).

If your heartbeat stays 1, if I remember correctly it is disconnecting after 1 minute, then reconnecting after 4 minutes, meaning you are 20% on. You will still get better battery life by going to interval sync.

Let me know.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I just noticed MfE 2.5.3 is out! I'll install that now and use that to test.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Sorr for the delay. I went for a trip two days after the last post, and i impulse-sold the E51 on the last day of the trip!

Running without the proxy did not help, the heartbeat interval kept on dropping to 1. I checked my E90 and it was never configured with a proxy. The heartbeat was at 1 as well, but i never had battery problems - maybe it's due to the bigger battery.

I've since picked up an E71. Of course, the problem is still there. I changed the minimum heartbeat interval registry entry on the server and it stays at 4 now, even though i specified 600 seconds in the registry entry - strange.

Of course, changing the setting on the server side isn't really fixing the problem, it's still "half-push". It's more 'push' than 15min syncs though!

p.s. the e71's battery life is excellent! The build quality is far better than my E51 too - no creaking.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Afipurbo

i have nokia e51 ,and i was bought new original battery ,and i was upgrading to OS 410.34.001 ,my battery life just got worse ,only 2 days standby (phone on with 3G Mode) ,and only 8h normal usaging (messaging and checking twitter) ,and 4h (surfing ,music playback ,messaging) time ,anyone can help me??
Please use plain text.