Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E52 Contact search entry problem arising after lat...

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

E52 Contact search entry problem arising after latest firmware upgrade.

Press the Contact button once, the Contact list screen shows up.  At the bottom of the screen is the search bar.  When I press any of the alpha-numeric keys, the alphabet (or number depending on how many times I press the same key) appears momentarily but disappears within less than a second.  So now I CANNOT do a search.  I have to scroll up or down!

I've since tried multiple things:  re-boot phone several times, take out sim card + mem card and then do software reset, re-install the firmware under Ovi Suite's Software Update menu option.  None help so far.

Can someone help please?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: E52 Contact search entry problem arising after latest firmware upgrade.

Only me having this problem?

Please use plain text.
Mouling

The search is also not working on my phone after firmware upgrade.

Further more the the option button also does not work in the contacts view.

Please use plain text.
Mouling

short update on this

When I reset my phone the option button is working again.

After entering a few contacts by hand also the search is working for this entries.

When I reimport all my 230 contact from sd card the option button and search stoped working.

Please use plain text.
leehouzhi

I just found out I have the same problem too, the search function is not working after the firmware update :smileysad:

Does anyone knows how to fix this problem? Please let us know asap. 

Please use plain text.
JamesHeng

Me too, I bought this E52 0n Feb 2010. I face the same problem with my phone, i can't search name on my contact via key in the alphabet. I believe it is the firmware problem which Nokia need to get the solution for us.:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
mschrijver

I have the same problem too after the new firmware update.

I currently work around this by using the search function in the main screen, but this is a lot slower than the contacts-search itself.

Annoying bug!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Pexer

I have a similar problem with my E72.

Making contacts almost useless.

I noticed that it appears after Mfe sync. Not always, but randomly.

Can work for hours, and then all of a sudden stop.

When I've tested and have been able to reproduce the issue it has appeared after Mfe sync.

Could be a coincidence...?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I don't have such an issue with my E52. Running on the latest firmware. I guess format/reset may fix it :/

Owner of E52 - E as in Experimental.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

princmk, good for you!  But resetting it didn't help for me.  I did that, and the Nokia Care center did that again.

They suspected corrupted contacts.  So experiemented a bit by wiped out all contacts and entered in a few new ones to try... still didn't work.

Please use plain text.
Sage

HRMPF corrupted contacts......  yes well...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Pexer

peteralmere wrote:

HRMPF corrupted contacts......  yes well...

Yes, and it's such a waste of time reseting the phone... :smileysad:

I'm really so disapointed with this flaw...

As I said: I'm having this problem on my E72.

Does it solve on the E52 to reboot the phone? It does on mine, but after a couple of hours of use it's back.... Randomly as it seems...

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Did you ever try switching off the phone overnight? Or do you do this regularly? Alternatively take out the battery for about 25 mins. If the memory is fragmented it will be restored this way.

How many contacts do you have in the phone? Are you sure it's not too many? In that case the phone memory is oveloaded.

Please use plain text.

I have the same problem.  I have chinese entry in my contacts.  After I delete all the the chinese contacts.  The search is work. 

Do you have contacts that are in different language?

I think this is really a bug.

Please use plain text.

In my E52 I've never witness search difficulties in contacts despite cyrillic alfabet. However, with the new firmware I found another bug: I synchronise my device with Exchange server, so all my contacts (about 500) were imported from Outlook to E52. Everything was fine, until the moment when I decided to update the firmware. Now E52 from time to time just deleting some contacts even on the server! :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi dao101,

Yes I do have Chinese entry also.  And it used to be fine.  Different language isn't the issue as I have deleted all contacts and manually re-enter a couple of contacts just to experiment.  With just 2 contacts such as Aa, Bb, the darn search still does not work.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Please use plain text.
Contributor
howe217

I have the same problem after the upgrade 2 days ago. Sent my E52 to Nokia care (was relief to find out I wasn't the only one with E52 and same problem), they blame it on the Sim card, told me to clear all my contacts on the SIM card and it works.

But later when I copy back all the contacts on to the phone memory and without any contacts on SIM, the same problem appear again. 

1.Can I downgrade the firmware back to the old version?

2.Can someone from Nokia confirm this issue, and advice me how to solve this temporarily? I have over 1000 contacts, it is very troublesome to find a contact without the search function.

Please use plain text.
Sage

giewfinder did you read my post? pls read again. I did not say what you may think. I said pls:

1) Switch off the phone overnight (this is just a suggestion)

2) Don't overload your memory with too many contacts. (this is mandatory)

Some people have over 1000 contacts in their phone memory. And tha is simply too much. So if you have fewer contacts and the problem persists it is a phone problem. If you have 1000 contacts the phone can not cope with them all.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

peteralmere, sorry I misunderstood your previous post.  Is it well known issue that Nokia phone (or E series in particular) can't deal with ~1000 contacts?  I'm new to Nokia.  Another flaw in firmware?   It seems to imply that the phone needs to load all entries in its entirety all at once during a search.  Well I don't have that many contacts, but I presume it maybe reasonable amount for some people (and the more reason to use the search).

I believe Nokia user manual says virtually limitless contacts.  Which I presume depends on the memory card size.   I would definitely stay away from buying any Nokia in the short run.

Please use plain text.