Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E6-00: what's wrong with Belle refresh (and ot...

Counsellor
strelamcqueen

E6-00: what's wrong with Belle refresh (and other topics) ?

I've been following this forum and have always been up-to-date with E6-00 firmware. I've been almost happy with Belle and was expecting hardly the Belle refresh version for the Music player upgrade. What I got was - ? I don't know. Just the new version and no instant visible change. However... :

- the Music Player is the same. Meaning, no song search and still ridiculous user interface

- the phone tries to establish the data connection quite often even if no application is open

- the phone is hardly responsive from time to time (while looking for the network connection)

- the phone does not want to connect to the wifi. Restart helps.

- the phone loses the network operator and does not reconnect. Happened once (when roaming). Restart helps immediately.

- the Microsoft Apps: pursued upgrade. I personally do not need them. The screen is simply to small to use them effectively.

- (not a complaint) the battery life: I think the battery life is not really affected by the OS. Those complaining about shorter battery life should check how much time they spend using the phone, being connected to wifi, etc.

I'm very disappointed with the E6-00. I try to keep it positive but it keeps me down with every (new) issue. Does anyone has advice what to do with upper mentioned issues? I bought the phone ~2 months after it was available. I'm assuming that these first production series can have hardware issues? My phone was on reparation twice: for the notification light (hardware thing) and bluetooth issues (voice not heard over the bluetooth headset). The latter is still present I think...

I consider buying E71 since there's no other good (Nokia) phone on the market. What makes me sad the most is that my iPod touch does wifi connection and other things smoothlessly... But I don't want an iPhone (which is in principle the same as iPod touch), I just want a good Nokia.

Regards,

P

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Re: E6-00: what's wrong with Belle refresh (and other topics) ?

hi mate,

as this is a user to user forum only for Nokia products and services, you are always welcome to leave feedback with Nokia directly by clicking the Nokia Support link at the bottom of this page.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DESe6

strelamcqueen:

I agree with your post except for the fact that Belle hosed my E6.  Meaning: if you look at all my other posts, it's all about the GPS data functions that were awesome with the E71 then went away with the E6 on Anna.  At least with Anna, there was an app called LeGPSData2 that restored most of the E71 GPS functionality.  LeGPSData2 is not compatible with Belle. Sooo, I am currently using my E6 ONLY because of the decent camera. 

Belle made the UI look pretty but that's it.  I found the same problems with the responsiveness that you mentioned and issues with not connecting to my home wifi when I try to browse the net at home.  There's nothing like downloading a bunch of big files only to discover that I've chewed up a bunch of data because the phone didn't connect to wifi.  I put the wifi widget on one of my home screens and I make sure that I manually connect to wifi now before starting the browser. The Microsoft app via the upgrade were a joke. They actually took over Quick Office so that Excel and Word opened with MS Office Mobile.  This would be fine but they open so tiny they are unreadable and they are not editable with MS Office Mobile for some reason.  I removed the MS apps immediately.

My battery life suffered a lot after Belle refresh.  With normal use as before the upgrade I would get home with about 50% battery with 3G ON.  With Belle refresh,  The battery won't make it through a full day with 3G on and I end up with about 25% battery at the end of the day with 3G off.  Good thing I don't use much data through the day!

This is actually my second E6; long story but the first I upgraded to Belle and was disappointed with the loss of LeGPSData2 app.  This one I was forced to upgrade to Belle refresh because while updating Ovi Maps one night, the update completely deleted the Ovi Maps app and I could not get it back without updating the OS to Belle refresh. 

So I am with you.  I too am very disappointed with the E6 but most of my disappointment comes from the software 'upgrades'.  If Nokia would just leave well enough alone, all would be fine.  I am sorry I have no advice to take care of the problems you and I are facing.  I am in search of a new phone now and if I don't downgrade to an E72, I won't be getting a Nokia again.  It's a sad story because I have been a die hard Nokia fan for a long time.

DS

@adrianhughes:

HUH?  stelamcqueen is asking advice from other USERS.  That's what the forum is about.  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Yes DESe6, but some of those he is asking about, nothing can be done about via apps or firmware updates. Which is why I referred him onto Nokia directly.

Am sorry to hear the problems you are having, perhaps a reset may help the cause.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
strelamcqueen

Well, yes. Reset would probably help for some time. I thought to customize my phone just once without customizing it back again. I'm not talking about the homescreens but in general (albums, contacts, etc.). This can be done with Nokia's application but I don't have either time or will to do it all over (and over) again.

I just don't get it why they make such obvious malfunctions, bugs to every new update. A quick test with 20 users would discover these things in a week time. And I really don't get it about the Music Player - no search function.

I'll try not to complain anymore as many people did already but nothing helped. I don't think any of the user-reported issues were taken into account.

All in all, no new good phone in the market for those not liking the Android, iOS or Win. I bet the E6-00 related issues show up also in other Belle phones as the platform is the same.

adrianhughes: Agree, I should be reporting the issues with Nokia. I just wanted to express my disappointment also here and hear if anyone is seeing the same with their phones.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DESe6

@adrianhughes, Sorry if my comment seemed a bit hostile.  With all the problems I was having with my beloved E6, I was pretty upset.  My wife always tells me to not act when I am angry.  One day I will learn.  Anyway, the good news is:  I was able to find the LeGPSData2.sis file  on a Russian website and install it so all is back to normal with my E6 again.  I guess I have to eat crow all around this forum.  I still don't understand why the Nokia Store says LeGPSData2 is not compatible with E6 on Belle.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

No worries it's all good DESe6, mate...we all have our frustrations sometimes. Glad to hear that you managed to get it working again mate, hope the overall E6 experience has been good to you :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.