2011-09-19 15:27 - edited 2011-09-19 16:12
here's my experience: got an E6 last thursday on Orange UK v021.014.261.01 (made in Finland):
before i post a review on amazon hoping to get some feedback on some of the 'features' of this phone......
-video codecs + vga out
-very solid but slim physical build
-browser (its fast enough... but.the screen is too small to surf. It is big enough too google a shops opening hours or read an emailed article link - flash breaks sometimes - but then to a lesser it breaks on desktop browsers too - flash sucks..)
-email & messaging adaquate..
followed these power saving tips::
- set up x1 exchange account (every 1h - headers only) + googaSync every 30min + x1 imap every 15min
- live home screen widgets (email & cal).
1st test: took it off full charge 5pm Thursday.
-1h gps, 1h angry birds, 1h mp3's, 1h surfing d/l apps on wifi.
-Go to bed with nearly all bars, wake up Friday morning and phone is dead. FAIL!!
Wifi is the problem. As it auto-connected, and was on all night.. I have noticed that many 3rd party apps and the nokia home screen wanlan wizard widget will connect to wifi even if you have disabled it in the man connection manager! Some 3rd party apps even remember connection you have deleted and join the wifi automatically!! So far i suspect fring, skype & whatUp. I still need to check if they have settings that can switch bad behaviour off.
2nd test: took it off full charge 5pm Friday. A weekend - can it last?
- Have removed all known wifi accounts. On start up i remove all apps that start up on thier own(apart from F-secure). Take care to keep multiple open apps to a minimum, use the handy slide button to turn off the screen when finished using. Power saving mode in on.
- 3h+ gps maps, 20min of calls, 2h of sufing, 2h of local mp3's, 20min angry birds, 4 text's recieved replied. 15 emails read, 5 emails replied.
- Sunday morning 2bars left. Phone died 9pm Sunday. RESULT!!
So for medium usage without wifi i can get 2.5 days. And probably last a long bank holiday weekend if i'm frugal. I have had an HTC desire and Galaxy S and could never get more than 1 day with this sort usage, With a iphone i can get 1.5-2 days..
NOKIA! please consider these suggestions:
1) control of basic connectivity from a widget
2) connectivity that cannot be overridden by 3rd party software
3) control of screen brightness (maybe volume+upKey?)
4) control of the wifi strength (the wifi amplification is awesome better than any phone i have used - can we have lower settings to save battery as most of the time when I want to use a hotspot its very close to me). does power saving mode do anything here? i cannot tell it is not documented?
1) can ovi maps have a separate volume control, as when listening with music i can't balance the two (even though you do lower the music volume automaticaly and that is great)
2) can maps have a bike setting - something in between walking and car, car with street names - i like how i can turn off the screen(using side slide) and still hear apps (p.s. ovi maps is sooooo good!)
3) notification light, and low vibration- such a f**kup, need a fix asap for these please. There are so many LED's on the phone and the only inportant one is broken!! I hear some models have ok vibration - what country of build? Can this be fixed via software?
4) When first looking for apps i was very disappointed, and nearly returned the phone. After checking out non Ovi stuff + beta i felt a little bit better. Get all thoses beta apps out for the E6, and support developers.
5) Motion detected 90degree screen turn. (not a important request, but sexy, and sexy sells)
6) Unified messaging - not only text+sms. but also msn, skype, aim/google... (that would make blackberry messaging defunct, ovi could do thier own version of a secure aim?)
7) Can we have a flexible flash blocker in the browser. i.e. click on flash object to load - rather than either on/off sub-setting.
8) next time you release a phone of this price please make it able to photograph something in focus that is less than 1.5 feet from the lens.. i like to photograph stuff that is written down - to type out later -and cant do this with its lens.. otherwise the camera / flashlight is very good..
Apps I need:
1) Still looking for a music player that plays by directory (the nokia music app does not work for me, i have maybe 5% thumbs showing, cant view music groups as text, cant play by artist (only album artist and after 6 clicks!), cant play by rating(or change rating). meh..
2) please provide full goggle sync application (if you did this via ovi i might use ovi for personal data) - other wise i'm buying googaSync and even then i still dont have task syncing...
3) DLNA client (pretty pretty sexy please!)
4) wifi smb client
5) decent calander/email screen widget - see Jorte for example..
Build quality is an issue: I will have to get a replacement due to the headphone socket being loose and cutting out when being wobbled. Also i have not got the backlit volume buttons on my build, that has been reviewed on web..This phone has been relased too early. I hoped that the EU released hardware would of learnt from the early aisan bleeding edge post-beta sales (many phone shops in UK stopped selling it in august saying it was recalled to fix faults). - who was greedy at nokia?
nokia tech: thanks guys, keep up the good work, hope this feedback helps... i might actually keep this phone, i have 10 days till i have to return it (in the last 3 years i have returned 4 phones)...... I can see the notifcation light being an easy fix(use another light), the next upgrade has to have an ok connection widget? (anyone?), but i'm not sure if the vibration issue can be fixed via software? Everything else i can live with. Should i keep this phone guys? help...
2011-10-16 9:44 - edited 2011-10-16 10:21
I would suggest to use the newest Firmware, I believe it has a better WLAN power management. I can't tell for sure but with Skype and WLAN on I have now a power usage of 0.06W in standby (and I thought it was more like 0.3 to 0.5W before this release). 0.06W should give me 4 days of standby (in stead of only 20h in the latter case which could cause a sudden drained battery over one night)
I hope more people can give feedback on the new firmware and battery life, since it is also for me the biggest issue. I bought the phone to have a week battery life with light usage. (I'm now at 4 days, almost there).
EDIT: I did a more in depth test now with 2 E6 devices (one with new and one with 22.14 firmware). The difference in standby between both devices with WLAN and Skype is 0.04W (6 days standby) and 0.07W (3 days standby). So the difference is not as much as I expected but still almost twice as efficient in standby, which is always welcome.
I advice to install the newest firmware as it will improve battery life.
They battery power has increased dramatically after software upgrade.
How much is to soon to tell, but improvement is significally indeed.
Good work Nokia
I have a E6 white (made in china). Only had phone for a few weeks but the Battery is not great at all. Dead within around a day. However what is more worrying is the fact that even if I have half the battery power left if I switch the phone completely off at night the battery will be Completely dead by morning. I have tried taking battery out when half full then putting it back into phone in the morning anfd found battery still half full so i suppose this kinda rules out a faulty battery. I have upgraded the software to no effect. WORRIED !
If you switched it off then it is a faulty battery. If only in standby then it could be that the phone was connection to Wlan but with the newest firmware that should be better now.
My first battery charge with the new firmware: 6 days and still 20% juice left!. That was what I'm looking for, a week between charges. I'm happy!
"what could i do ?"
@ kermit39, There is nothing you can do, Except wait, The update is obviously not available for your region, Network or product code yet.
Be thankful you have already had an update, As there are still some of us that still have the original firmware that came installed on our E6 the day we purchased them (021.014), And still have not been offered an update.
So i guess you'll have to do the same as us, And just wait.
I know you have it now, so it's a bit late to say... but I always only buy Nokias with Finland or Bulgaria on the white label and avoid Made in China, Malaysia or anywhere outside of EU and Nordics.
Even buying from Ebay, always ask the seller to confirm the Country on the white label under the battery.
Nokia need to add or adjust/fix these issues
1. The wireless DO NOT disable completely. It always runs
2. Even select GSM only, we still can connect internet ! (with slow speed)
3. There is no "offical" disable/enable light sensor and controling keyboard backlit for E6
we buy a SMART PHONE, a bussiness phone; not an OFFLINE device or a player divice that has call function !!!
WISH it can be better when Belle come
1. Nokia phone is assembled exactly the same with same materials in China/Finland/Bulgaria and wherever you want. It has nothing to do with battery issues.
2. While using GSM you can surf the internet with slower connection, it's not a bug.
3. Nokia lied to its costumers trying to create a successor for the great E71 + E72. There isn't a chance they had such long standby time in any test. Absolute lies.
I am very dissapointed with Nokia (second time now, N8 older).
Nokia should work 24 hours a day to resolve this problem, and this is definitely a PROBLEM.
As an owner of a hi-tech company, working with tens of SW & HW engineers I do not see how this problem cannot be resolved in a short manner of time.
Releasing a version which is compatible with all regions, fixing a lot of WLAN / BT / 3G problems (battery consuming) should take a maximum 1 MONTH (far exaturated).
Nokia has now much less costumers than it ever had.
If keeping the current customers isn't an important issue for Nokia I don't know what is.
Nokia releasing this phone with such a deceiving ad is an act of dispair.
This is the last time I trust Nokia.
Next time I will read reviews and search for bugs for a month before thinking of buying this awful piece of hardware and software you call 'smartphone'.
max2005b, I hope the read your message, you are absolutely right that Nokia could speed up the firmware fixes. Or at least interact more with the costumers and give them feedback on what they are doing to fix things.
Having said that, the E6 still is a great device. I've been the lucky one that got the latest firmware, and I can tell that the connection management is now much better. But even before this firmware battery life wasn't that bad.
Today I'm at day four from my last charge and I'm still at 35% of battery. Comparing to other phones like Iphone, BB or android devices this is still 2 to 3 times better. And if you look closely to the battery specs of those phones the this is an accordance with the Nokia E6 numbers.
I've got some good news (I think).
Test was made with 'Bluetooth On, WLAN Scanning off, Screen Brightness Default, No screen vibration'.
About 90 Mins of talk, Whatsapp on, Mails 15 Refresh (1 MailBox), Dark Theme, A bit browsing, about 10 SMSes, installing 2-3 apps from OVI.
Usage from 08:30 to 18:30
3G: 25% Battery left
2G: 80% Battery left
Problem is when using 3G.
Try it and let me know if it solves your problem too.
I don't have a great use of 3G, my internet is working fairly on 2G aswell.
I put my phone mostly on energy saving (2G) but if I use 3G my phone doesn't drop so fast. If I should make an estimation I get 3 days on 3G and 5 days on 2G (light use: with whatsapp and mails every 30min, 1h/day of internet and socials ans some calls)
So I think it's not only the 3G. In my case it was WIFI and GPS that really drains the battery and WIFI is much better with the 25.007
What a also did is turn the light a bit down and deleted F secure