Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E6 Unable to answer call when keys+screen lock...

roddw1

Re: E6 Unable to answer call when keys+screen locked

[ Edited ]

I reported same problem to Nokia today and was told to take the phone to a care centre. However, having done some research on the net, would appear that this is a very widespread issue that has not been fixed by the latest software upgrade!!

As the issue is intermittent, it is extremely unlikely that the care centre will know how to identify or fix it and in my mind it is completely out of order for nokia NOT to acknowledge this as an inherent bug. A bug that if you use youe phone for business as I do can be very costly!

I would urge all who have this issue to write to Nokia and demand action (after all the most basic job of a phone is to easily allow you to take an incoming call)!

I bought the phone against advice from family and friends (now all Samsung or I-phone users) and depending on Nokia's response to my refusal to leave the phone at a care centre  - this now for me also is last chance saloon for Nokia!

Links to other threads on the same issue here

/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/E6-Unable-to-answer-call-when-keys-screen-locked/td-p/1163559

/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Problem-with-Nokia-E6-answering-a-call/td-p/1176123

VERY ANGRY! NOKIA DO SOMETHING!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Guje

[ Edited ]

My E6 has now been "repaired" by Nokia service.

They changed the answerbutton circuits and updated the phone to the latest software. But I still get phonecalls I can't answer. So...:smileymad:

I was told by the service that they discovered the problem but they could not get it repaired, so I got my phone back in the same condition.

This is already my second brand new Nokia within two months that has been returned unrepaired from their service. 

Their quality problems seems to be well known also among sales people here in Nokialand so I think I'll  take the rumors seriously - and act on that.

I mean, You can't use phones you can't connect to people.

More on the same issue:

http://www.helpowl.com/q/Nokia/E600/Technical-Support/problem-receiving-incoming-calls/153456

Please use plain text.
roddw1

This was my 3rd email to Nokia, having being fobbed off with the repair centre facre.............

"I understand your position, please try and appreciate mine........................it is obvious that this exact issue is known to Nokia as from the links I have sent, multiple owners of the E6 are reporting precisely the same issue. The fact that the “answer call” key works when the phone is unlocked, more or rules out a hardware fault. This is a software fault where the phone is not unlocking to receive incoming calls.I use the phone everyday, 24 hours, it is a business lifeline. If it is the only option, I will take the phone to a care centre, but before I take a day off work and maybe be forced to live without the phone for days all I want is for you to confirm that

1. Nokia are aware of this issue
2. Nokia has fixed this issue for other owners via the care centres"

This is errrmmm, their reply (I can barely beleive it!!!!!). Note the total failure to answer the question, acknowledge the issue...................

Dear xxxx,
Thank you for keeping in touch to us.

We apologize for the inconvenience causing you. Rest assured that we will do everything to solve your problem.
In response to your concern, when we receive your phone our certified technicians will do everything to rectify the issue. We strongly suggest that you send the device to our main repair center (via UPS/Freepost) for an assessment. The steps on how to send the device are included to the previous emails. However, if you may prefer to visit our Care Center please call the NCP first to make sure that the issue can be accommodated.

If you have any other concerns, kindly include it in your reply so that we may be able to provide you with a resolution to further assist you. Should there be a chance that we fail to hear from you within 5 business days, we will deem the provided resolution as accepted and a customer satisfaction survey will be sent accordingly".

Suffice to say I can't wait for the satisfaction survey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meantime, I'm going to try the press to see if we can get some help here - a phone that cannot receive a call - that's new, that's the Nokia E6!

LISTEN TO YOUR USERS NOKIA - THE PHONE SHOULD EITHER BE RECALLED, OR A SOFTWARE FIX ISSUED

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Guje

Thank you roddw1 for your posts.

Same problem here to get any professional and honest answers from Nokia - if you succeed in getting any answer at all.

The "answer call" issue IS a software bug. Immediately when the incoming call stops, the answer button starts to work.

I've been a software developer longer than Nokia so I've already learned my lessons to distinguish hardware- and software errors. Let's just hope that Elop forwards at least some of his experiences from MS.

I think your Nokia-answer is good enough for me. Here in Finland such an answer is against customer rights. For example, one rule states that a single repair should be enough. Another states that the repairtime for things used every day should not exceed 2 weeks. The seller is responsible for that. Lesson to learn: Be careful of what you are selling.

Because I don't have that much time nor interest for Nokia to get their phones to work I'll get my money back a second time. First time it was an N9 with a defect GPS they couldn't repair in two weeks, now it's an E6 they couldn't repair. Two different phones. Two different service places, one big, one small.

Good luck with the press Roddw1. Use me as a reference!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I will chime in here with the same problem.  I have contacted Nokia and the service center/shop where I bought the phone in Florence, Italy.  All I get is reset/reload/same old, same old.  The problem for me actually got much worse after the Belle upgrade.  I had almost no issues with Anna at all.  Wish I could go back but??????????????   Right now I would just settle for a phone that I can answer incoming calls with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Please use plain text.
Advisor

The only answer Nokia care can give is reset/reload etc. and that fixes nothing! A $500 phone less than a year old that cannot answer phone calls is stupid and unacceptable. Nokia you are losing a long time customer but you really don't seem to care!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rdmu

It's not a 100% solution, but it works for me at the moment in most (but NOT ALL ! :smileyfrustrated:) cases (as stated in September last year when creating the issue) :

when getting the incoming call, try (quickly) to unlock the keys and the screen by using the Key lock switch and then immediately push the answer-button. Don' push the Key Lock Switch for too long, nor too shortly. It took me a while to get the "right" timing.

It might just help a little bit to avoid us throwing - what could have been an expensive but useful phone - against the wall.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Finally took the handset into the Nokia service center.   Told them it was white screening and loosing info and of course the no answer ability when the phone was in locked mode.  Also told them I had been in contact with customer service 3 different times and each time it was backup/reload and that would fix it which of course it never did at all.  Even with trying to use it without restoring any of my information on it!  So I was told it would be about 10 days before I would get it back.  In 36 hours I received an email that it was ready to pick up.  Upon my return I asked them what was wrong and was told they erased it and reloaded it and that should take care of it.  UGH!!!   That is the forth time for that!   Their response was "oh we have a different way of doing it and it needed an update".  I had the latest listed versions on it from Nokia but it needed an update?   Hummmmm?   Ok I go home and started it up.   It froze on me three times in the process!!!   Then I looked at the firmware version and it was the same number but did say something about a custom version?   So now it says there are updates available and needed on it.   Three in number and it fails to install them 3 times!   Finally it says it does it but there is a outdated certificate and it only allows me to accept it one time and not permanently!   Then it won't let me set up email accounts which I had that problem several months ago so I used the old trick from then but it took 2 hours to complete.   It now has answered 2 calls and froze up 2 more times.   Calendar is unresponsive most of the time too!  SO THIS IS A FIXED UNIT FROM NOKIA?   Before taking it in at least most of the things worked most of the time.  Never had a calendar problem with it before.   Emails worked after they were finally set up.   But now everything is suspect!  There is no way they could have even tested it!   Just wipe and reload that is all they can do for a fix?   Before the Belle update this phone worked so well and I loved it and after it has been nothing but a problem and basically unusable.   I gave nearly 500 for it at purchase one year ago this past week and got 6 months good service out of it.  Not very cost effective, Nokia!  Gave up tonight and went out and purchased a new phone and you can be sure it was NOT a Nokia after using them for 10+ years previously.   It is no wonder Nokia's market share is plummeting.  Sorry Nokia but you have failed a very loyal customer and frankly I cannot afford you anymore.  

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
broncos6

I can't believe me eyes when I just read the 28 listings in relation to the same subject.  I just went through a long support on line chat a Nokia rep who surely must have been aware of the problems this phone is delivering to Nokia customers.  Any business with the smallest devotion to customer service would have been all over this problem in a heart beat.  Why not you Nokia.  I have only had my E6 for 2 months and I wish I had taken the time to investigate the discussion page. Like all other E6 owners I cannot begin to express the frustration at not being able to perform the most basic of tasks with a telephone and that is answering a call.  I mean, is this the most ridiculous situation or what. A telephone which will not let you answer calls at the push of the call button.Then only to find it has been a well recognized problem and yet the phone is still available for sale. But by the look of things Nokia is totally disregarding customer feedback so what then is the point of having a discussion/feedback vehicle.  If someone has a solution then please let me know.  I have no choice other than return to my supplier, lodge the complaint, refer them to this discussion page, and hopefully get my money back.  All this for the want of a phone that will do the simplest of tasks.  

Please use plain text.
Wendim57

I have the same issue with a two week old E6. Updated to the latest Belle software to cure a few problems (no vibrate on Silent for example) but the answer call issue remains. My husband thought I was just unable to operate the phone but, after trying to use it himself for a few days, agreed there must be a fault. Looking at this thread, I'm relieved its not me. I have e-mailed Nokia but not expecting a resolution any time soon. What poor support for an expensive product. Should have bought the cheaper (and working) Samsung!

Please use plain text.
RoyMumbai

I had the same problem of not being able to answer the call normally with my Nokia E6. The problem now stands resolved.

All that I did was remove most of the un-necessary applications that I had installed in the past on my Nokia E6. Looks like it is a software bug from one of the 3rd party applications. Others having the problem may try the same and post thier response.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SurenE6

Re: E6 Unable to answer call when keys+screen locked [solution is here]

Hi All sufferers, I had d same issue & I tried all possible options but nothing worked.

The only solution is to replace its chip-board which will be done at Nokia care. Only & only replacement of board will bring you the phone in correct working mode. I had a vry bad time when I 1st encountered d problem. Nokia care took 10-days to find a replacement for my board.

My phone is working well since the repair (in last September).

Hope u would like my post.

thx,,,,,Surendra

Please use plain text.
RoyMumbai

Apart from my earlier post, I also checked for this problem with Nokia's online support and they have told me that there is no hardware issues with the Nokia E6.

The solution provided by Nokia's online support for this problem was to take a back-up of important information on the Nokia E6. The Phone book and other data can be copied or backed up to the external microSD memory card on the Nokia E6. After the backup has been taken I was told to type *#7370# and immediately after this the screen pops up with click yes to proceed. On proceeding further the device will get reset. This will also mean all information on the phone memory & mass memory will get deleted and reset. However all information on the external microSD memory card will remain without getting deleted.

After the reset, the boot up sequence for the first time will take around 5 minutes. Just wait till the Nokia E6 re-starts normally. The Belle OS remains intact and most of the standard default applications including QuickOffice were found to be function normally. After the restart, the Nokia Store application on the E6 does not seem to connect, which I still need to sort out. However I am able to download applications from Nokia OVI Store to the mobile device via  my laptop running Nokia Suite PC software.

The problem of not being able to answer incoming call normally on the Nokia E6  have been sorted out.

Please use plain text.
jolv

We'll I have hard reset my Nokia E6-00 three times all to no avail. In fact I have now received a 'new' replacement E6-00 from the Nokia Service Centre and I immediately put my sim card in and called the phone and I could not answer it! And I've tried three different sims from three different providers. Back the phone goes.

So I would be very interested if anyone other than new member RoyMumbai has had a successful resolution to this problem.

Please use plain text.
mvdijck

Same problem here.

I'm a system administrator and there are a couple of users with the E-6.

They all have the same problems.

Cannot answer, cannot type etc.

different errors.

even on the one we recently both 2 weeks ago.

Please come with a working solution because this will effect our choice what the new standard will be with the mobile phones. We going to have to choose between nokia windows ore apple iPhone.

But i don’t think than we are going to choose for the nokia's when  the wount fix this problem

Please use plain text.
mvdijck

Repair did not solve the problem,
The end-user still has the same problems. No improvement.

Nokia will not share with us what they have replaced or what they have repaired.
So repairing the other 8 phones will not help :smileysad: I think

We have a total of  9 Nokia's E6 phone in use.

Nokia cannot offer a temporary solution while the 9 phone are in RMA.
I need a replacement phone  ( ore 9) while the repair is in progress or we have 9 people without a mobile phone for the repair period.

Also Nokia will not take the phones back. The seller only offers a repair RMA process.
Nokia will only replace the phone's after 3 repair attempts. This will mean a total of 10 weeks without a phone ?

Nokia where is your customer service???

We also still have users with the nokia e71 and e 72.

We are going to replace all the nokia’s with a windows 8 phone. I don’t not think that we are going to buy the Lumia!

We need 17 new  phones next week.

Anyone who wants to replay?

Please use plain text.
troubledone

Boy, I wish I'd read all this stuff before I spent over £250 on this phone. Having the same problem as you guys. Samsung, here I come..... next time.
Please use plain text.