Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E6 arrived from repair - with Belle - please h...

Advisor
tbger

E6 arrived from repair - with Belle - please help me find my way through ...

Hello,

My E6-00 has just arrived back from Nokia after a microphone problem repair and a version update.  I originally asked them to remove the service provider's videos played when the phone starts up or shuts down, but I got a completely upgraded OS in general.

I'm pretty happy with it, except I cannot seem to find some basic features that were there on the previous OS.  What I'd like to ask is, can I still apply and use them ?  Here's what I'm talking about ...

1.  Notification area on homescreen has completely disappeared.

2.  Messaging application no longer lets me choose which memory to use to store messages (???).  Message icon (a while envelope) is blinking at the bar on the top of the screen, which (as far as the manual goes) tells me I'm out of space for messages (!?).

3.  Next to the blinking envelope icon, I also have some kind of a 3/4 square next to it.  Anybody knows what it means ?  I did look up the manual at Nokia.com but didn't find anything.

4.  Since there probably are differences between the Belle and the previous operating systems, is there a manual especially for the Belle version ?  The manual I just downloaded from Nokia refers me to a notification area on the homepage, which doesn't exist in my phone as mentioned.

That's about it so far.  All in all I'm very happy with the new OS and I have to say I do feel it's faster.

Thank you very much

Roy

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: E6 arrived from repair - with Belle - please help me find my way through ...

Notification area is now a pull down from top of screen and push up on three line horizontal bar icon at base of screen to disappear.

Blinking envelope usually indicates a SIM message for deletion. Unfortunately no option to specify where SMS are stored now.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tbger

Re: E6 arrived from repair - with Belle - please help me find my way through ...

[ Edited ]

The icon still blinks even though I re-installed the SIM message settings (that were sent to me upon launching the fresh phone from repair). Is there anything else it might indicate ?

The manual I received with my phone isn't for the Belle version, as well as the manual I found on Nokia's website.  Couldn't find one on Google as well.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tbger

[ Edited ]

I Googled the blinking envelope issue and figured "SIM message" means a message that is probably stored on the SIM or something like that. It's not the operator or setting messages as I'd previously thought.

To go to SIM messages one have to go to ...

Messaging > View Folders > Options > SIM messages

... and delete all messages from there.

I didn't have anything unread (obviously) but it still helped, strange.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tbger

There's that square-like icon on the notification bar I don't know its indication.  Any help welcome.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q765/tbger/image201303140002_zpseb378482.jpg

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tbger

This icon indicates that new updates are waiting to be installed.

The other problems were either solved or had no solution unfortunately.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DESe6

I am sorry you were forced into the Belle "upgrade".  My E6-00 currently is in the trash can behind me in pieces.  This is a result of the Belle debacle.  Since I upgraded to Belle, I have seen my phone go from a useful tool to a brick. Battery life went from several days to less than a day; I was able to overcome this by downloading App Stop and running it periodically. The phone restarts randomly and if it goes unnoticed, several QT apps start and drain the battery. The only way to stop them is with App Stop or something similar. With Belle, I also had problems with connection; most of the time if I lost signal, I would have to restart the phone 1 or 2 times before it would reconnect. Places where I had fair connection with Anna, had no connection on Belle. The phone went from being responsive with Anna to sluggish with Belle. I was a diehard Nokia fan prior to this E6 experience but I will never buy another Nokia again. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tbger

I totally understand what you're talking about. From the moment I got this phone I've been regretting buying it. I've never in the past had so many problems with just one machine, be it a phone, a laptop or whatever. This device has broken all records proving it is sort of defective to begin with. Microphone problem ? Reception problem ? Man we're on 2013 aren't we ? Never ever had any of these problems before with any cellphone.

I think the whole touch idea in this phone make it really hard for the device to handle everything. More than twice since I got it back from repair, I had to restart it after the touch screen stopped responding. Business phone anyone ?

Screensaver keeps acting the way it used to -- pops for 20-30 seconds then turns screen off completely -- makes it pointless to begin with.

Sometimes when getting a call, the screen is completely turned off ! not allowing me to even see who's calling.

I can keep going on and on but the point is clear -- I totally regret spending 270 USD on this toy, it's nowhere near a business-class phone with all these problems making it anything but a reliable device. My 6120 Classic was way better than this one. And no I really don't need all those gadgets such as a touchscreen or nice operating systems as long as the phone can't handle them reliably. I just need a working phone that would leave my peaceful mind busy with more important stuff.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tbger

[ Edited ]

I just waked up in the morning using the E6's clock alarm.

You can turn if off only by touch screen -- which I couldn't do because for some reason, it was (once again) locked and refused to respond !!!  I was stuck with a ringing phone waking up my other roommates ...

Not the most clever thing by Nokia letting you turn it off only by touchscreen -- considering you're not very sharp when waking up .... plus, a touchscreen that stops working every now and then is a two edged sword ...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DESe6

I have regretted spending the money too. But, like a fool, I went back for seconds. I bought my first E6 then upgraded to Belle, hated it and sold it. I liked the E6 on Anna fairly well so I bought another one, determined not to upgrade. Then one day the maps upgrade showed up so I decided to upgrade the maps. Somewhere along the way, maps completely dumped off the phone, never to be found again. I was forced into the dreaded Belle upgrade once again so I could restore maps. I can only say one thing, tbger, you're lucky you only spent 270 USD on your E6. I spent over 500 because I wanted a European version for the language packs and had to purchase it from a vendor outside the US.
I have lived with the Belle “upgrade” for nearly a year but the phone has taken several "frustration" beatings and in my last bout of frustration, the phone turned to dust. It has been said for years that Nokia phones are nearly bullet proof. Now I know why: they have to be in order to withstand the beating they take from being thrown in frustration. My last throw was intended to be a death throw so I could finally make myself realize that Nokia has dropped the ball and it is time to move on.
I am now using my old E71 (way better phone than the E6, where it counts) while I am waiting for my Galaxy S3 to arrive. I feel a bit like a traitor. I will miss many of the features that Nokia had. But, I guess I had already missed them since they had removed them with the E6. My question to Nokia: How is it, with newer technology, that an upgrade phone loses many features? In the end, the E6 was only really a decent camera and even then, it wasn't that great
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tbger

:squint:^ I totally understand you. I too have had lots of daily use troubles and inconvenience with this phone since upgrading. I originally opened this thread in order to get some help getting around the new OS, but the longer it goes the more problems I encounter, that simply make this phone really hard to use. Here are a few more points I have to mention:

1. when browsing, to get to the address bar one either has to go all the way to the top of the page, otherwise one would open the notification scroll bar. I think this point hasn't been tested when adding this notification area.
2. When receiving a call, the phone sometimes turns the screen completely off, as if it is put on my ear (it does do it then, which is fine). This way i cannot know who calls me unless I set a specific ringtone for every one of my contacts ... This has happened to me at least 10 times.

3. As far as I'm aware, when browsing, there's no zooming option other than double tapping. Tapping only works in some cases (e.g. It doesn't work on this website ... Pardon for spelling mistakes, as the font here is tiny).

4. Alarms can only be stopped via touchscreen. That would be fine generally, but it can't be done when screen is locked ! this bothees me a lot.

5 cant get to select all text here using ctrl A for some reason, to back it up in case connection breaks, so ill post it now
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tbger

6. Browsing arrow disappears from time to time on websites. Sometimes it doesn't appear at all, inother times it disappears while browsing.
Please use plain text.