Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E7-00 how to find the menu?

Advisor
Accepted Solution

E7-00 how to find the menu?

I know this may sound a bit simple to a lot of you. I just bought my first smartphone, a Nokia E7-00. I also downloaded the English (and German because I live in Switzerland) user guides. I also managed to download and install the latest software for the E7. So far so good.

Here's my problem:

Both the user guides (Eng. & German) for the E7 (Bella) keep mentioning some kind of icon which looks like this:

[]O

OO

(I will call it "that icon")

This is apparently the icon for some kind of Menu. From there I should be able to e.g.

Select  "that icon" >  Contacts

or

Select "that icon" >  Settings and Calling >  Speed dialling.

or

Select "that icon" >  Settings and Connectivity

etc etc.

But on my E7 I do not have any icon that looks like that anywhere, nor do I have a button called "Menu" (which the Nokia website mentions e.g. as "Select Menu > Applications"..

I am at my wits end.

When I switch it on, the E7 shows the signal strength and my Provider at top left, the antenna, a battery shape and the battery strength at top right, a "Go to Music", then beneath that, a globe, a square white box, an envelope and four heads (which wants to connect me to Facebook etc). lower down  is "New Mailbox" (with Ovi etc), Phone Setup which doesn't offer me any options apart from the ringtones etc and images and at the very bottom Options ooo Call. The Options only allows me to see open applications, edit home screen, change wallpaper etc.

But no Menu with any settings.

Can anyone PLEASE help me ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
treo680

[ Edited ]

What happens, when you push the hardware "home" button in the middle below the screen?

This should take you straight to the Menu.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@helvetica1

Item in question is one of three at bottom of screen as here:

Meni key is listed as (3) on Page 6 of user guide and is only button at base of screen:http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/apac/phones/guides/Nokia_E7-00_UG_en.pdf

Seriously if some thing has gone wrong with Belle update you might have to consider re-installing existing software with such as standalone Nokia Software Updater:http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor

>What happens, when you push the hardware "home" button in the middle below the screen? I don't have a home button. >Menu key is listed as (3) on Page 6 of user guide and is only button at base of screen At the bottom of my screen I have (permanently it seems) Options ooo and Call and that's it. I have managed to find a workaround by adding Menu, Applications and Settings as shortcuts but it's a shame that I've had to waste those 3 out of my 4 possible shortcuts. Another thing that doesn't seem to work is this "from the status bar, swipe down, then select... blabla". I can swipe all I want and nothing happens. I do not appear to have the kind of status bar that is illustrated I don't think it has anything to do with Belle, because it was the same with the Anna version which was on the phone when I got it on Wednesday. My latest problem is trying to get Nokia Suite (from Nokia_Suite_webinstaller_ALL.exe) to work (12 hours and counting, so far), but I will add a new thread for that.... Jeez, why does everything have to go wrong or be different for me, when it works for everyone else .... Many thanks for all your help anyway !
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

helvetica1 wrote:
Options ooo and Call and that's it. 

Essentially your device is still running Anna with only three homescreens not the six under Belle. Something has got corrupted along the way infortunately which is why Belle online user guide doesn't make any sense to you!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor

@ aspergerguy

A thousand thanks, kisses, hugs and good things to you.... THAT is exactly where the problem lay. I thought I had updated to Belle but apparently it had only been two Anna updates..

Mind you, attempting to get my hands on Belle posed more problems because Nokia Suite 3.3 went into a loop of installing, then - after the lamp of my floppy disk drive flashes (i.e. the floppy drive which I have in my PC because I still need stuff from my ancient floppies now and again) it fails with a "Needs to be repaired" message. This was happening all last night and again today, so after a total of 15x installing, uninstalling, deleting, checking the registry, re-installing etc etc I decided to see whether it worked on my laptop and lo and behold, Nokia Suite installed and downloaded Belle for me...

So thankyou aspergerguy - that was the solution to the problem. How clever you are to think of it and help a maiden in distress :smileyembarrassed:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
treo680

[ Edited ]

Glad you got your problem solved! - However, I fail to see how you could not have a hardware home-button on your E7 :smileysurprised:

Furthermore, imho "Belle" is more of a "downgrade" to the E7!   I prefer to stick with "Anna" as are probably many many more users world-wide - I cannot think of another reason for Nokia to suddenly offer a "Belle-Demo" to "Anna"-users.

Obviously, "Belle" isn't that popular (and for good reasons, if you ask me - if I wanted an iPhone, I'd bought one! If I wanted my business phone to look like an Android-phone, I'd bought a Samsung Galaxy-something!)

@Nokia: "Belle" probably was the worst Symbian- (sorry: Nokia-) OS ever!! As the recent figures show, Nokia isn't doing so well - as you seem to be intent of p***ing off your most avid customers, you may actually have deserved this!

<end of rant 673> :smileywink:

Please use plain text.