Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E7 Charging port

Counsellor
PaulDTroy

MMh Interesting, because my N8 usb port was 'worn out" after about 9mths use.. I got rid of it and bought E7.. Hope it lasts..
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mjae_1

All the stories here same as mine. Six months old, no damage, no abuse but charging port failing to work. Pathetic. I have given up on this phone and on Nokia. Sick of the rubbish.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kotian9

merr3301 wrote:

My E7 is 6 months old. The phone has not been damaged in any way but the charging port is faulty. I have tried different chargers and the same problem, , you have to wiggle the lead to make connection. Vodafone told me that this would be a wear and tear issue and therefore not covered under warranty. RUBBISH I say! If it has worn out then the phone is not "fit for purpose" I have spoken to Nokia who have advised me that they are seeing a problem with the charging port on a small number of the E7's. Nokia need to make Vodafone aware of this issue and Vodafone need to start listening to they loyal customer of over 20 years!

Hi all

I am also having the same problem with the E7 charging port .. nokia care point says its a physical damage and that they cannot do anything about it .. its not like we are using such ports for the first time .. 5 months and my device has stopped charging.. if i intend to repair this phone by paying the service center how much would it cost in general .

thanks

Please use plain text.
merr3301

As an update to this post. Vodafone did eventualy agree to replace the phone but not untill I spent the best part of a day informing them of my consumer rights. I've had the replacemnet phone for just over 3 months and guess what, the charging port has fauled again. Vodafone are replacing the phone again, this time without a fuss. I have to say that I think the E7 is a fantastic phone apart from this issue. Let's hope Nokia get to grips with this problem.

Please use plain text.
kepriad

[ Edited ]

I bought  my E7 on october 2011 on bangkok thailand while on holiday along with N8 and c6-01.

Well i don't have to tell my tale in detail, but in short E7 is my problem with charger port.

in my view the charger port is faulty. I can tell this because the data cable charger and hdmi cable that i got on all phone is about same but the usb port on E7 is slightly bigger (the outer ring) with compared to other phones N8 and C6-01. I even compared it with samsung phone.

I have a friend (mobile phone repairman) and he told me that E7's port does look good. 

He told me the only solution is to change the usb port.

i live in Nepal where there is only one nokia care centre. They told me that since i didn't buy the phone in nepal they will be unable to repair for free ( though i have a global warrenty card).

Even in my country i found only few people with same problem, majority has no problem, it comes to only one possible reason for faulty hardware is that one of the batches of USB port is faulty, and nokia should not  hesitate to replace it.

I would like to know if anyone had gone to Nokia care and solved the problem, and if yes have you got any feeling that they have replaced the usb port?

By the way i'm still confused that charger and data cable is of different type (charger is  USB B) and Data and pen drive cable ( USB A) fits properly in same USB port. Any technology expert out there please elaboarte for my knowledge.

Moderator's note: Post edited because it contained information about unofficial ways to modify the device hardware. Doing so might void the warranty of the device, and possibly damage it. Therefore it is not allowed to discuss about dismantling the device on Nokia Discussions forum.

Please use plain text.
tallpat62

I have had the same problem with E7 as everybody here. I have it 10 months. I brought it down to the Nokia Care centre in Arklow. They knew about the fault and sent the phone back to uk for repair. They said there is a 25month warrenty on these phones and it either would be fixed or I would get a replacement. I just got it back two days ago and the battery is still going flat after 4 hours of little use. Its such a dissapointment. Its the first time in 10 years of being loyal to nokia that I have had this kind of trouble with a new phone. I liked the phone very much until this started happening but if I dont get sorted I will be looking to change to a different make next time.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
claudio_b_p

I have an external charger that I carry in a waist bag. I charge my phone using it in a belt case.

One day I did a bad move and the charger moved inside the charging port.

After that I have problems charging.

I read the manual and it says that a misuse voids warranty.

That was about 6 months after I buy the E7.

All microUSB ports damages this easy or just E7's?

Greetings from Paraguay.
Claudio Bogado Pompa.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lancelet

And I thought that I was the only one with the fragile charging port, Does Nokia ever go through these discussions, coz it needs to, Even I had the same issue and now Nokia is asking me to pay Rs.5000 +service taxes, I am based in Mumbai, India. stating that my phone has a physcial damage. What the hell I have used Nokia N-gage and Nokia E90 and never had any issues, my E90 still rocks and is still going cozi can even charge my Nokia E7.

Anybody kindly let all know if any sol

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
palaidniex

I also had this problem within 8 month this port was worn out.

It was changed as Warranty. Only moment - it is now white (seams a bit strange in black housing), but may be it is more "rigid"...

So - for some time it will not be a problem, but changing this port in service created up another problem - periodically not working screen lock button... It is VERY frustrating. Ant now I have left my phone for 3 (!!!) times. Nokia say only on 4th approach in service they will do something more serious. And you think - changing the phone? What a naive thinking - they will refurbish this phone or partially change it - leaving old battery in refurbished phone. Sounds great and customer satisfaction oriented after 3 times and 2,5 months in total spent in service. Such a wonderful service approach for one of most expensive phones on their range. Now I've got the phone from service and I'm not sure that it is repaired and screen lock occasional functionality problems are solved...

Nokia 1611, 2210, 3110, 5110, 6210, 6310, 6310i (up to these models totally satisfied)
Then don't remember model, then E50 (mostly happy), then N97 mini - phone with briliant keyboard, but poor touchscreen, then business phone E07, phone that can not make a photo of contract, invoice or business card. poor design of usb port and 5 months at service did it - my nowadays phone is Apple. Company gave me Asha 300, so frustrating, that I use my old E50 instead...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
msbionik

Wow.... I am actually having the same problem! I've had my E7 almost a year, but haven't been able to use it in the last 6 or so months!

Mine doesn't even recognize a charger or make any kind of reaction when I plug it in. I sent an email to Nokia Care... Will post the results.

One more thing... Couldn't we ourselves replace the port somehow?

Recent phones: N91, N95-4, 5800xm, N900, E7, & now the beautiful N9
Please use plain text.
Ralphox

I was VERY happy with my E7. I've been using Nokia phones about 12 years ago and I had nothing to complain about them...

I used my beautyful E7 almost like a mobile office and I was pretty happy with it.... until the day that it became to have problems with the charger... and then with the data cable... It start with a sudden interruption of it charge and by the end it was not charging at all... same story I've read A LOT above.

I took it to the Nokia technical service and they just told me that they can't solve it! Just that!.

From now I leave Nokia FOR EVER, this is the worst experice I had with any cell phone and I think that this is a mayor hardware design failure that they just tried to hide.

I wish I had read all these posts before buying this piece of  **bleep**-designed cell phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
clairefg

Same problem with the Nokia E7-00, it was difficult to charge after it was a few months old and it got worse. I decided to try and get it fixed while it was still under warranty but as I was in Finland Nokia UK told me that they would not be able to fix it and I should return it to the UK for someone to diagnose.

I contacted Nokia Finland who told me it is covered under european warranty and I should bring it in to a service centre.

Took it to a service centre who said it would have to be sent away for repair, went back two weeks later to collect and I have two options pay Nokia 238 euros for parts and 58 euros labour of 40 euros and they will give me my broken phone back?? Apparently I have to cover the postage and packaging that it cost to send the phone to Czech Republic??

I gave then a phone with a USB port barely working and they send back a phone with no usb port at all, just a space where it used to be and a bill for the privilege of completely breaking my phone.

I waited 6 months for the release of this phone, I have only ever used Nokia phones for the last 12 years and now I am disgusted and bitterly disappointed in them. Do not buy this phone, I won't be buying Nokia again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gdavidf

On my 3rd replacement handset since September last (now May), charge faults on all three handsets.

Achilles heel of an otherwise great handset other than wifi?

Former Psion 3a-5-5mx & Psion netbook (Symbian) user who had an E63, E71
Now an E7 casualty remembering the 8 replacement Nokia Orange (or was that Lemon?) 2140's I had in 1996...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lwsbrck

[ Edited ]

I'm in a similar boat. My phone is currently with my local nokia care centre. I've had it since October, which I received under warranty for my old N900 (which, unsurprisingly, broke from USB port) but because the warranty expired on the original N900 they will not fix the E7 (which i'm pretty sure for such an expensive phone should last longer than 7 months) and to get it fixed they need to send it to level 3, which will cost me £120 MINIMUM.

This is no misuse, the phone is charged at my desk, on a flat surface, with a nokia charger, overnight (where there's no chance of it being moved). I've been a loyal customer for years, but this is the final straw, I'm getting an Android phone as soon as I get the phone back from the centre (who have charged me £20 despite not knowing what the problem was). Professionals my foot.

Please use plain text.
Sage
seppuku

I have had USB port problems for a few months and I'll be taking my phone to the care center as soon as I find a temporary replacement. Can't do much without a smartphone.

The phone reports USB device error in 29 times out of 30 insertions with the original charger, 9 times out of 10 with the USB cable BUT works most of the times with my Brodit car charger cradle. Anyway, as I need to charge the phone 3 times a day after upgrading to Belle it's become almost completely unusable If I can't leave it charging in the car.

Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Advisor

In our company we have quite a number of E7´s, since it´s a fantastic corporate phone. But the problem and weak point seems to be the charging port. We´ve had a number of these cases, and the only solution seems to be a replacement of the complete mother board, since the connector is a part of it. So far Nokia service has repaired all of them with a new motherboard, and this under warranty. But it takes at least two weeks, since at least in Europe all phones are sent to the Czech Republic for this replacement. So we need a number of spare phones so that people can carry on with their duties :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Sage
seppuku

Got my phone back. Also have the new white port now.

Nokia fixed it under warranty, took 5-6 days. Good stuff.

Since 1610
Please use plain text.
Arghtastic

I sent my phone in under warranty and was told it could not be fixed, so it was replaced--I do not have the white port that everyone reports (what type # is that?) but the port feels VERY tight compared to the old "loose" feeling.  I knew the phone was prone to problems with the USB port and was always very gentle with it (after about 6 months), but it still died.

It took me 6 business days to get a replacement.  Had I had to fight about it like some have reported, I'm pretty sure it would be been an international incident as I had to buy Nokia out of pocket (unlocked) to be able to have it instead of a getting a cheap contract phone.  As amazing as it seems, paying retail prices for a cell phone means that I want it to last.

I wish you all luck.  I am using a 059F6L7 Product Code phone.  This is actually my third E7.  The 1st was dunked in kool aide by my son and was a different product code--the charging port seemed very tight like this newest one.  I could swear this charging port (the piece with the pins on it) is actually wider than the last.

Please use plain text.
penguine7

same problem. E7 charging port easily got damaged. i am careful with my phones for invest in them and i generally need them in my day to day living. i so adored the E& until the charging port gave up on me. this is with only 7 months of usage. nokia care here in the Phil told me that it was not under the service warranty so i had to find a repairman to fix it. since nokia is not acknowledging its warranty, i let the repairman/technician just open up the phone thus voiding the non existing warranty. well, it got fixed after i spent so much for it and after 2 months it gave up again. im so disappointed, its such a good and very useful nokia fone, ive come to love it and can navigate through it with ease except for that cahrging port :smileysad: 
 im glad some of you here had your phones replaced. if theres a way, i would still want my E7 to be rapaired, im not even asking for a replacement. come on, ive not even used it for over a year. :smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
debmalya

"MMh Interesting, because my N8 usb port was 'worn out" after about 9mths use.. I got rid of it and bought E7.. Hope it lasts." ...

Unfortunately, it won't. If you want to know what the road ahead is like, ask someone who is coming back. I'm so diasppointed with Nokia now. It's not about i won't buy another Nokia -- which is of course true, i would definitely not go Nokia again, after two extreme high end devices malfunctioning on me, back to back, the N97 32 GB iteration with a scratched camera lens, and this E7 with a broken USB port, and nokia flat out refusing to honor the warranty on both, while i hear from others on this forum that they fixed their's for free, i kinda think Nokia is discriminating based on the customer's nationality, and it hurts my national pride-- it's about abuse of trust. I purchased these expensive devices because I thought I have the Nokia assurance, and Nokia bitrayed my trust in them. I don't expect anything now. I know these posts mean nothing. I know these threads are not gonna make Nokia change their mind, and I know nobody cares. Nokia doesn't care about losing one customer. Or for that matter, one thousand customers. They are too big to fail. But might I remind you, dear Nokia, Pride goes before a fall. I'm so disappointed. :-(

Please use plain text.