Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E71: WLAN preferred, 3G only if WLAN not available...

nomax

E71: WLAN preferred, 3G only if WLAN not available?

[ Edited ]

Hello together,

I am just configuring my E71 and I really enjoy the surfing on 3G as well as its WLAN-capability.

Is there any possibility to configure the E71 preferring WLAN connections for data transfers first, and only if not available then switch to 3G network?

It is a bit annoying to choose every time the connection I´d like to for browsing and so on - therefore I would like to configure an active WLAN connection as the primary connection and only if this one is not available (no network reachable) switching then to 3G.

Has anybody experience how to conf it this way?

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Sage
Lexusfan

Re: E71: WLAN preferred, 3G only if WLAN not available?

Move both WLAN and 3G access points to Internet folder in Settings / Connection / Destination, then change WLAN's priority to 1st. If WLAN is available, the phone will automatic use it. If not, it will use 3G instead.

Please use plain text.
nomax

That seems to be a bit weird - I changed the priority, but even tough it still chooses the 3G instead of an existing and proper working WLAN...could it be a conf. error or something like that ?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Lexusfan

What application that needs internet connection are you using ? You should check that application's settings to see if 3G is set to be the default connection.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mydigia

Hi,

I do not have anything like that in my menu, I have a Nokia E71, and want to prioritize WLAN over 3G, but I don't have the menu "destination" under Settings -> Connection. I have the latest firmware installed.

Please help.

Thank you,
Ali.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@nomax

You could install Birdstep Smart Connect from Nokia Store:http://store.ovi.com/content/10328#

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.