Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E71 firmware v400.21.013 power consumption

Registered Member

E71 firmware v400.21.013 power consumption

I recently upgraded the firmware of my E71 from version 300 to 400.21.013. Previously the battery lasted in normal use approximately three days. After the upgrade the battery drains in half a day. Has anyone noticed similar problem and is there a solution for it?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I noticed the same problem. Battery goes dead much much faster than before update... That's not much of improvment with new firmware!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

@AnttiP

@aslesp56

You could always try installing the Nokia Energy Profiler v1.2 to see where consumption arising from:http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technology_Topics/Application_Quality/Power_Management/Nokia_Energy_Profi...

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Sage
riversandlakes

Yeah, investigate with the Profiler.

Are you sure v400 chomps on power? v300 gives 3-5 days depending on usage.

E71! Lovin' It! :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
xinighung

i havent noticed this problem. i recently upgraded from 300 to 400.. hmm, but normally on my previous firmware my battery lasts 3-4.
------------------------------------------
E71-1 (40) || RM-346 || 400.21.013
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

First of all, can you share as to how you moved to the new FW? I am on 300.21.012. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

i have the same problem..before i updated firmware to v400.21.013 it was lasting 3-4 days but now with v400 it cant even last 24 hours. what might be wrong with updating firmware v400.21.013
Please use plain text.

Did you who experience a higher power consumption restore any settings/files after the update?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

I notice that iON Battery Timer is still estimating average battery life @ 3 days, but do wonder whether the fact that you are now forced to install Nokia Mail just to add a "Mailbox" has anything to do with issue although you can still decline to utilize or uninstall afterwards. 

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.

I did update to firmware 4 and I noticed the same with the aforementioned. After 10 hours or so the battery level drops significantly.

I restored contacts via nokia suite. Keep in mind that restoring via sd card always introduce serious problems when upgrading firmware (gps stops working, wifi halts,etc). For the same reason I am always biased to restore settings even from nokia suite. I restore only contacts, calendar and messages.

I did not installed any other software except nokia energy profiler and it showed the same amount of watts consumed as before(~0.02W - ~0.04W while locked and screen turned off).

Then I figured what was wrong.. Although the battery was dropped to 2 bars(1st day), it stayed to 2 bars for one & half days then dropped to 1 bar and stayed for one day more and all this while I was using the phone to make or receive calls.

So, clearly there is a bug in the "power level consumed figuring out algorithm".

I hope that helps..

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

I just want to add that this is a serious bug due to enormous psycological effects to the user.

If you dont know when to recharge is like a car with broken fuel gauge.

So, I assume that they will fix it shortly.

I only pitty myself that I have to do all the upgrade procedure from the start.

Other than that the firmware is ok. I hope not to introduce new bugs with the new firmware.

Get it right Nokia!

Message Edited by u01iz on 09-Dec-2009 04:12 PM
Please use plain text.

I also noticed the same problem. Before update I get 5-6 days battery life, now only 1-2. :smileysad:

I also tried to uninstall email client from apps, but batery life is same..

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

do you guys having this problem in e71 have Garmin Navigation software installed in your device?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

do you guys who have this problem in e71 have also Garmin Navigation software installed in your devices?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

My E71 had a problem with Garmin. Garmin was running background process (in the options it was disabled!) and i turned it off again now it's everything back to normal or even better power consumption!

So try to find the background service with some processes listing program and you'll have the solution.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

To resolve this problem follow the steps below;

1-) Delete files cardrunner.dll and cardrunner.rsc in your device, paths to the files in your device is as below.

E:\sys\bin\CardRunner.dll

E:\resource\plugins\CardRunner.RSC
2-) Then start Garmin application and go to  “tools ->settings -> System” and  disable the option "Launch Background service"

And that's it..

Message Edited by yaltek on 09-Jan-2010 01:58 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

It happens on the E63 using the same firmware.Before lasted 3-4 days with bluetooth on, now max. 36 hours.
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Noticed that too... on the 300 firmware nokia energy profiler showed constant energy consumption about 0,05W when not used.

Now just after the phone turns on the power consumption goes normally  (http://www.image-share.com/image.php?img=133/168.png), but if I ever use the bulitin WLAN desktop app/plugin it consumes every minute nearly 1W of power even if it's not used and scanning is turned off (http://www.image-share.com/image.php?img=133/169.png).

I have no WLAN availability scanning (it's turned to 'never'), and I always turn the WLAN desktop scan off.

The funniest thing at all is that when I 'delete' the WLAN scan from desktop (in personalization options)  the power consumption goes again as it was before using any WLAN connection (http://www.image-share.com/image.php?img=133/170.png)

Magic?

Message Edited by thonka on 12-Jan-2010 05:53 PM
Please use plain text.