Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E72 - Honeymoon to Divorce.

Advisor
ristothegreat

I note "Mail for Exchange" is not available as a download for the E72.

I was hoping to use it for gmail emails and calendars.

Instead Uncle Ovi "allows" me to download Roadsync for a fee (even thought the advertising blurb indicates a free trial period).

Honestly, I feel like we are back in the 1990's.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Mail for Exchange is built into the email client. You don't need to download anything.

Just go to Email -> New mailbox (or use the set up wizard), scroll down the list and there is Mail for Exchange.

If you just want gmail emails, there is a specific Google Mail option, but it will only do emails. That uses Nokia Messaging (the push email service from Nokia which you get a free subscription to as part of the E72).

Otherwise just configure MfE as per Google's instructions for email & calendar sync.

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ristothegreat

Thanks deadkenny.

I have configured the MfE supplied in the email wizard (using Google's advice at http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=147951 ), but it does not even mention Calendar anywhere. Nor does it actually work in downloading my email for that matter.

A separate MfE program may have more options.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Regarding access points for email:

You have to differentiate between email accounts using Nokia Messaging (my gmail account was automatically set up by the wizard as a Nokia Messaging account) and Nokia Mail for Exchange accounts (Nokia MfE).

To give you some background: Symbian S60 3rd edition FP2 implemented a method of access point prioritisation using "Destinations". Prior S60 3rd edition versions simply used "Access Points" without built-in means of prioritising between them. Hence, my E72 has a Destination called "Internet" which first attempts to connect to my Wifi access points and then defaults back to my service provider 3G access point. However, not all software is set up to use Destinations yet, since this is a recent development. Hence:

- Nokia Messaging uses Access Points,

- Nokia MfE uses Destinations.

Hence, my Nokia MfE account can use my "Internet" accesspoint and automatically switches between Wifi and 3G. For my Nokia Messaging (Gmail) account this is not possible without resorting to 3rd party software, since you can only select one access point. I am using Birdstep Smartconnect ("SC"), which is available free from Nokia, to achieve the same thing. I use SC to create a access point called "Standard" and set it up to first try to connect to certain Wifi access points and then default back to the 3G data connection.

Whenever you are roaming, you need to be careful though. I don't believe the SC has a function that can determine that the phone is not in the home network and may connect to the network providers data connection abroad (expensive). Hence, I define another similar access point group, which only has wifi connections and switch to that one when i am roaming.

Software version 023.002

- Obviously, no guarantees that the above will work for you, so please be careful so you don't get stung with data roaming charges

Tobes

Please use plain text.
Advisor

to ristothegreat:

take a look at my comment in this thread /t5/Eseries-Devices-and/Mail-for-Exchange-installed-on-E72-1-does-not-work-with-Exchange/m-p/597958#...
Some MfE issues are resolved there.
With regards to the Calendar, apparently recurring appointments without end date may cause problems for MfE. I just define end dates for all recurring appointments. Also sometimes, the software does not seem to synch anything and I found it helps to disable the Calendar sync, let the system sync, and the re-enable the Calendar sync afterwards (give it 15 mins). Hope that helps.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ristothegreat

Thanks  tobes78,

In all honesty, I can get the gmail mobile app to work and it downloads instantly.

In comparison the dinosaur that is Nokia MfE merely makes a simple task really complicated.

I did manage to find the settings on the E72 for including the calendar to sync. Of course, it did not work anyway.

Receiving emails work ... kind of ... and I just love seeing .... "Fetching Content" for 30 seconds before downloading 1 text based sentence.

I cannot send an email at all from my phone.

Lucky I can still ring people with the E72 ... for now.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

tobes78 wrote:

However, not all software is set up to use Destinations yet, since this is a recent development. Hence:

- Nokia Messaging uses Access Points,

- Nokia MfE uses Destinations.

Destinations support (or lack of) has been mentioned many times on various threads on the E72, but not implementing it just because it's a recent development is inexcusable.

The E72 was developed as on the FP2 platform, which at core includes Destinations. To launch the product, all applications should have been switched to use Destinations.

Now okay, I know the way things work in Nokia means delays can prevent that on the initial release when they're trying to rush things out the door (though frankly it should never have gone out the door with all the bugs it had!), however they've had numerous firmware updates to fix this.

We're now on 031.023 and although the email client has been updated, it still does not support Destinations.

Meanwhile they've updated the 5th edition email client to include destinations support. The reason being there because the email client is not integrated into the firmware so it's easy to update frequently via the application update service (another feature that was intended to relieve problems by allowing fast delivery of updates, and yet in the E72 they chose to bundle the email client in the firmware!).

To make matters worse, in 031.023 they have obviously realised the issue and rather than fix it, they bundled Smart Connect in the firmware. Okay, that sounds like a good compromise... but the version of Smart Connect they included, DOESN'T WORK! :smileymad:. Worse still is you can't uninstall it.

Oh, P.S. there's the third configuration option in the email client, which is a manually configured account (i.e. not using Nokia Messaging or MfE). This also does not support Destinations.

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ristothegreat

DIVORCE: Going back to my E71 for now .... then probably an iPhone.

Please use plain text.
Professor
mgoksoy

You'll be much disappointed if you go to an iphone after an S60 Nokia. Better stick to the E71 for now.

mgoksoy
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ristothegreat

If I can receive emails, sync my calendar & contacts online in addition to talking with people on the iPhone. It would mean I can do much more with it than I can with the E72.

Everybody, feel free to see how many people have clogged this forum with questions about why their E series phones can't get emails. Life was not meant to be this difficult .... in the 21st century.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

It is better to divorce than to make your life hell.

Why on earth should we wait for nokia to make our life just more miserable with stupid updates.

Why don't they listen to the posts and complaints!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ristothegreat

Actually, I just purchased an Android based phone to play wih. I know it will have some issues. But I also know it will definitely sync online with my gmail emails, calendars and contacts. And I know that it will constantly improve.

The E72 has been the most frustrating phone I have ever purchased. Symbian has had its day and I genuinely think its time is up. I understand why they have made it open source now but I think it is too late for them. Especially given the fact that Symbian has no chance of ever existing on anyone's desktop.

Anyway.
Bye Nokia
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hhassan30

have you used something like smart connect. you name an access point, and then in smart connect you associate as many access points (wifi or gprs) to the said access point. your email client can use the cover access point and it will not know what it is using. it will think it is 3g. this works well for me with a couple of apps, like fring for example. i have an e71. i always think about upgrading. they have a super deal on an n97 here now (vancouver canada) through one of the providers, for free. but, at the end of the day, i have laboured in and out with my 71 that i really do not want to spend another year labouring in and out of the 97 (and i hear that the first buyers of the 97 really got a bum FW package to kick everything off - although it is much tighter now). I think my next phone is going to be an N900, a year or so away.

Nokia E65, E71-2 (30) [410.21.010 RM-357]
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

I mentioned it earlier. Smart Connect is now part of the firmware.

It's Nokia's poor workaround for not implementing Destinations support properly and not implementing in all bundled applications.

Problem is the bundled version with 031.023 is broken.

Smart Connect have now issued a patch though. I'm also seeing a patch (same patch?) available via FOTA for *some* product codes. Not sure if that will update phones already on 031.023 though as they haven't increased the SW version, only added the patch to the over the air download.

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Advisor
blee4

[ Edited ]

Best review ever, I bought an E72 last week... great looking device... terrible operating system. I'm putting down my iPhone for a month and giving the E72 a fair review. If anyone at Nokia is listening, you're reputation is NOT fair off from the American Automakers GM and FORD and you don't have the US Government to bail you out. SO get your butt into gear... either KILL off Symbian or FIX it but don't sell people these patch work phones. You can't buy consumer confidence once it's gone it's gone for good.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ristothegreat

I received an SMS from Nokia stating "important updates available for your phone". I then followed the instructions which ultimately told me "no updates available for your phone!  ?.

Quite typical in terms of Nokia logic. Right up there with suggesting the E72 is the ultimate messaging phone that struggles to receive messages.

On a brighter note, I am running Android 2.1 on my new Samsung i5700. I was running Android 1.5 for about 24 hours. The Android 2.1 upgrade vs 1.5 did in 6 months what Nokia may never do in terms of improved functionality. I look forward to the next 6 months.

btw, I did manage to eventually make the E72 work in terms of full syncronisation with Gmail. Here is how you do it:

1. Set up an IMAP email account for your email. (remember to make up a dummy address first to bypass the stupid Nokia messaging invasion of privacy first)

2. Set up a Mail for Exchange profile for the same Gmail account but do not syncronise your emails (only the calendar + contacts instead).

Alternatively, enter your email address and password on your Android phone and be done with it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

ristothegreat wrote:

I received an SMS from Nokia stating "important updates available for your phone". I then followed the instructions which ultimately told me "no updates available for your phone!  ?.

Quite typical in terms of Nokia logic. Right up there with suggesting the E72 is the ultimate messaging phone that struggles to receive messages.

On a brighter note, I am running Android 2.1 on my new Samsung i5700. I was running Android 1.5 for about 24 hours. The Android 2.1 upgrade vs 1.5 did in 6 months what Nokia may never do in terms of improved functionality. I look forward to the next 6 months.

btw, I did manage to eventually make the E72 work in terms of full syncronisation with Gmail. Here is how you do it:

1. Set up an IMAP email account for your email. (remember to make up a dummy address first to bypass the stupid Nokia messaging invasion of privacy first)

2. Set up a Mail for Exchange profile for the same Gmail account but do not syncronise your emails (only the calendar + contacts instead).

Alternatively, enter your email address and password on your Android phone and be done with it.

Your characterization of the confusion in the Nokia world is perfect; it's everywhere you look. I've documented much of what I've encountered in posts to these groups, but have gotten little in the way of help, because I suspect here isn't any way to help. The stuff is broken. I have an E71, which I'm about to sue for divorce on the grounds of Nokia's utter software incompetence. Like you, I will  migrate to an Android phone. I just need to find the right one.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DarkReaper

Very true. I guess this is my first Nokia and most likely the last? Too bad I would've to wait for my 2-year telco contract to end. Very in-depth advice.

Please use plain text.
chyps

All I would say is that the E72 has to be the best phone I've owned (having returned to Nokia after a few Sony Ericssons). Of course, phone technology and features continue to evolve and improve too but for me, the E72 has all the functions and features that make my working life a whole lot easier.

Only gripe - the camera function is not user-friendly and the camera takes too long to start up. My Sony-Ericsson operated much quicker and was also easier to operate with its dedicated camera button.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
eseriuser

After all updates my e72 is working ok now; far from satisfying but ok. The problem why nokia start selling this phone with many problems at first place?

Beceause of the dissapointment with E 72  I am not going to buy any E series in the future.

Please use plain text.