Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E72: How to use Access Points Groups (Destinat...

Counsellor
ymmv

E72: How to use Access Points Groups (Destinations) for E-Mail??

For accessing my e-mail I would like to use my wireless LAN connection at first and only if there is no WLAN connection available I would like to use the packet-Data (GPRS, 3G) connection.

I can define a "Destination" which contains both WLAN and GPRS connections with priorities.

I can not, however, select  this "Destination" in my mail settings. Only a direct connection (exactly one WLAN or GPRS/3G connection) is available.

• What am I doing wrong?
  • How could I set prioritized access groups for e-mail? *)
  • What exactly is the use of "Destinations"?

Any help is really appreciated.

*) IMHO, this is an absolute basic prerequisite for a smartphone.

E72-1, product code 0586718, firmware 022.007
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: E72: How to use Access Points Groups (Destinations) for E-Mail??

Your observations are correct. If you use Nokia Messaging then the connection options are as you stated. However, if you are using MfE, you get to choose Internet which is the list of access points in Destinations. Depending on the email you are using, you may have the option of using their own clients, for example Gmail.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Simply put, the email client on the E72 does not support Destinations, except within the MfE component which strangely does.

So you have no option but to manually set the access point and change it every time you move location.

The email client is incomplete. On launch, all E72 apps should have supported Destinations out of the box. The email client and a number of others don't.

This has been fixed in newer versions of the email client, but this is only available to models where the client is independently available (and particularly to 5th edition models at the moment, which is daft as none of these are targeted at business users who predominately want to use their phone for email!, unlike the E series).

The E72 email client cannot be updated outside of a firmware update, and there you have two problems.

1) The client hasn't been updated in firmware I think, so far.

2) You may have to wait 6, 12 months or forever for the firmware for your specific product code, aka variant (even whilst other codes already have it).

The E5 has been announced and looks like an updated E72 at half the price. Cheaper materials, less attractive, but I bet the software is more complete. You'll have to wait until Autumn for it though, but I doubt the E72 will have its firmware fixes by then.

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ymmv

[ Edited ]

deadkenny wrote:

Simply put, the email client on the E72 does not support Destinations, except within the MfE component which strangely does.

So you have no option but to manually set the access point and change it every time you move location.

It is very interesting that the choice of access points is somehow implemented individually in every single application. Why would that make sense?

Normally internet access is handled by the operating system. This may be a major flaw of symbian then.

I can understand though not approve of that special model variants sold by mobile network providers have limitiations but this is not the case here.

As for the E5: I agree that it is a step down from E72. I guess there will be a E7 or the like, but it will be announced not before the E72 is sold out. (I think Nokia learned this by now.. :smileywink:

E72-1, product code 0586718, firmware 022.007
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Don't quote me on this but I think it is the limitation of the current symbian OS.Lets see if it is resolved with the upcoming symbian^3.

Most applications have their own access point controls while some others seem to just follow the settings for the default web browser. I just configured my phone to not use packet data automatically because I am travelling abroad in a couple of weeks. Took me about an hour and you could write a book about it.

Please use plain text.
Sage

3rd Ed FP2 and 5th Ed introduced Destinations support, but I think it's a layer on top of the existing API. Applications have to explicitly support it, and any that don't end up with the basic Access Point functionality, and individual apps have to store which AP its using. The OS is still driving the AP functionality.

I can see why they'd do it that way round to ensure legacy applications still work, but I feel they should have just added the groups in as APs that legacy applications could pick up as if they are just another AP.

However what is not excusable is that the launched apps with the E72 (at the time the flagship E series and FP2 product), were lacking support for Destinations. All Nokia apps are supposed to now be supporting Destinations.

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gabriele339

I use SmartConnect, it is free and lets you create a destination which is seen as a single access point.

The only problem is that it only works when the phone is not in offline mode.

http://www.birdstep.com/Products/Birdstep/SmartConnect/

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

I was using Easy WiFi which does similar (and has the advantage of auto logging into known pay and free hotspots as well as any you define), but it kept corrupting the AP database and ultimately killing the phone to a point of having to format it. I've heard similar of Smart Connect though that was on an E71. Problem I think is with the APIs these types of apps have to use to manipulate the access points, and somehow the phone screws up the database and it's not recoverable.

I'm steering clear of such apps at the moment.

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jorang

My advice would be to test out Psiloc Connect - http://connect.psiloc.com/ It states that it's not compatible with the E72, but in my experience it is. Psiloc Connect estanlishes a new access point available from all apps on the phone. To my knowledge Psiloc Connect is the only app handling all your access points without having to predefine them in groups, prioritize ans so on. Psiloc Connect just handles this as you wan't it to - using anyone of the predefines wlan connections if available. If not 3G/EDGE/GSM kicks in if you want it to. In my opinion also quite affordable. Make sure you set wlan scanning on to make Psiloc switch from 3G to wlan as soon you are within range (translated from Norwegian som probably not exact: Control panel - Setup (or maybe Options) - Connections (or maybe Network) - Wireless LAN. Than choose Yes, 10min and then Automatic) Have fun!
JoranG
Please use plain text.
Sage

Hmm, forgot about that one. I did notice it as a plugin to the Psiloc stuff that comes with the E72. I think I gave it a go on trial, but can't remember why I decided not to use it.

My advice with any of these though is to backup the phone first before installing them. In fact, backup before installing any new app. I've spent far too much time reformatting and reinstalling from scratch due to corruptions thanks to apps I've installed. I don't think it's the apps that are at fault either, but the Nokia APIs they use to manipulate the access points, and the thing just gets in a right mess over time.

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

Smart Connect is now built into the new FW upgrade 051.018 and it works fine.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star to the left. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Sage

swa10 wrote:

If I recall correctly, Smart Connect was also already included in the previous update (031.023). However, it had a bug that prevented it from working correctly. There is a patch from BirdStep (specifically for the E72) to fix the bug so that it worked.

I think the Smart Connect included in 051.018 already has the patch fix pre-included. So it should now work if the patch wasn't applied before.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

d_t_a wrote:

swa10 wrote:

If I recall correctly, Smart Connect was also already included in the previous update (031.023). However, it had a bug that prevented it from working correctly. There is a patch from BirdStep (specifically for the E72) to fix the bug so that it worked.

I think the Smart Connect included in 051.018 already has the patch fix pre-included. So it should now work if the patch wasn't applied before.

For me it even worked without patch for 031.023 as I had SC 1.3.6 installed which remained installed after upgrade!

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star to the left. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheG

[ Edited ]

Smart Connect (with patch) only half works.

I found it introduced major lock-ups error messages - the old "invalid server" message re-appeared.

The ONLY reliable connection method is to forget all about WiFi and hope that your inclusive data contract is enough.

With ANY other connection option you WILL have issues with the E72.

Please use plain text.
Sage

swa10 wrote:

d_t_a wrote:

swa10 wrote:

For me it even worked without patch for 031.023 as I had SC 1.3.6 installed which remained installed after upgrade!

Thanks for that info.. I hadn't tried installing and using SmartConnect prior to firmware 031.023.

I suppose the newer SC 1.3.6 can't be installed if SC 1.3.55 is already pre-installed fromt he firmware ROM of 031.023 or 051.018?  Or do you think it's still possible to use a later version of SC even if SC 1.3.55 is already included in the firmware 051.018 ROM?

Any difference between the 2 versions?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

Builtin SC seems better as it also creates a destination with same name as the group. I do not recall this functionality in 1.3.6.
Please use plain text.