Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E72 No tone/vibration upon receiving SMS

Registered Member
funkydude

Re: E72 No tone/vibration upon receiving SMS

Guys!! I was about to hard reset my phone, but managed to resolve this issue by changing modes and changing the message tones. No need to hard reset your phones.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Can you elaborate the exact steps?

funkydude wrote:

Guys!! I was about to hard reset my phone, but managed to resolve this issue by changing modes and changing the message tones. No need to hard reset your phones.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
peterh45

Have had same problem no vibrate or sound with sms message .Hard reset did work but when restore messages notes etc (phone settings not selected) problem reoccurs :smileysad:

Very annoying always a Nokia fan but now considering HTC Desire/Legend .

Also had a problem when updating firmare to latest version a while ago process stalled and phone had to go back to Nokia .

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
axlb

had the same problem!

Several resets didn't solve the problem,

after restoring all data without restoring phone data the problem still persists!!!!

after removing all sms from the inbox to another personal box

the sms sound and vib came back!

good luck

axl

Please use plain text.
Dadan

Reset worked.

Thanks fellas!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

I updated my E72 to the newest firmware 051.018. But unfortunately the phone still does not vibrate nor make a sound when I get an SMS. Ringing is fine, Email alerts are fine, but SMS just doesn't do anything but show the notification light that I missed something. I'm not very eager to do a hard reset as it will take me a day or so to set up all the apps on it again.......

Anyone found the reason for this problem? Is it some application I installed? Just doing a hard reset every time something doesn't work is not really a good solution. Maybe I should demand my E71 back....grr...

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I did the hard reset 2 times but it didn't worked... nothing works !!! :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

It's not the reset that solves the issue. You simply have too many messages in your inbox (or sent items, I minimized them both). I had a whopping 2800 messages in my inbox (I never delete anything :smileytongue:) I copied all the older messages (> month) to a custom folder via the Nokia PC suite. Reboot your phone and voila, your sounds are back!

Why does the hard reset also work? Because it removes all the messages, but when you copy back all the messages you have the same problem again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

no way ! when I did the reset I didn't copy any of my messages back to my phone... I didn't install any other program.... nothing ! I just did the reset (2 times) and check my sms ringtone and I tell you, nothing works ! :smileysad:(

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have removed the battery and I've waited 4-5 minutes and now it's ok....  :smileyhappy:) **bleep** Nokia ?!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
heehee

sooo happy. Issue is something in software that cant handle over 2000 msgs. I deleted my messages to about 1000 using Nokia PC suite and voila my sms tone is back.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
1st_paladin

I had to get it down to around 200 SMSs before sound came back. Is Nokia looking into this? My wife has over 1000 SMSs in her 6120 with no problems. Ok maybe, it's a little slow :-)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dmagliano

Hi Guys...

So, i´m having the same problem, noticed it today. But through the last week i´ve been missing some sms alerts, tought would be noise place where I was or anything like.

Didn´t tried hard reset yet. But, I don´t have more than 1000 mesages, have only 82 in my sms inbox. Even in my mail, i have a few...

Any suggestions?!

If I may extend a Little, I´ve been a Nokia fan, came from a N95 with 3 years of hard use and no problems. Bought 2 E72, one for me and other for my father...

Mine have this bug with sms sound now. The SIP-Voip phone came messed up, you can configure, but you can´t activate the phone (the solution nokia gave is messy) my father can´t configure a Gmail acount in his phone. Not if isn´t through Nokia Messaging, but I did in mine...

Resume....nokia seems to have completely screwed a Perfect phone. So many problems, so many silly and lazy bugs....

Do any of you have the same impression...

Sorry for the offtopic, but this things have been upseting me a lot.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi, I completely agree! The E72, potentially a good phone, has had lots of 'small' annoying issues. However, do you have the latest firmware? The latest I have is 051.018 and this solved several issues for me.

As for the SMS sound, how about the sent Items folder? Is that 'too full'?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dmagliano

thanks gharf.

Nope, not even in sent items, both (in and out boxes) have only 80 or less messages.

I updated to 051.018 a few weeks ago, started after that (but not because of that) i worked fine for a few days.

I´m trying not to reset it, will be boring to re-install lots of apps, and I have paid for some of them...so I´ll have to reinsert lots of codes and keys....well....boring.

But maybe I´ll do it...

Thanks...looking forward for some correction.

Does anyone at nokia reads this forum?! What does this worth if complains here are not analyzed?!

Please use plain text.
MaartenD

I could solve this problem by deleting a bunch of text messages.

Now I would like to change the menu so that I could see all e-mail accounts at once. And is it not possible to have all e-mails reviewed immediately in html format?

Furthermore, I have to restart my E72 a couple of times per month in order to be able to receive any text messages. Rather annoying.

I feel that this E72 phone is not likely to win any prizes for user-friendliness nor reliability.

Pls people of Nokia, correct this faux pas.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vyom1987

I feel nokia has really lost it.

When the software had so many bugs why did they release it, and even after realizing the problem they are releasing the software in other regions also. I'm  from India here the latest update was released late ,  knowing that the software had problems.

Al least in western countries the after sales service is good , but here in India Nokia takes it customers for granted.

My advice is that never buy nokia because is now beccome a passe

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jmrozek

There is no excuse for why a major phone company should be having a simple little problem like this. I have never had a phone do something like this. I love my Nokia but with technology these days how does a corporation let little stuff like this happen.

Sorry just makes me mad every time I get a text and nothing happens, so the frusturation is building.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
electroblaze

its really lame that a premium 'communication-oriented' device should have this annoying problem..i can understand a budget phone or a music phone not handling text messages that well..but not being able to deal with 1000 messages is ridiculous! and Nokia seems to be doing nothing apparently!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MUKUND7191

Hi, Guys

I am also facing same problem,

i think that its firmware version problem. bcoz in old version there has no any problem like that but after updation of firmware it occurs a problem.

Please use plain text.