Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E72: Web-based apps try using connection other tha...

Registered Member

E72: Web-based apps try using connection other than WLAN?

I bought my wife an E72 yeasterday. After we charged the battery up and turned it on, everything seemed to work alright. I set up the WLAN connection on my wireless at home, and I tested the use of Facebook, MySpace, etc. Her SIM card needs to be topped up, so the phone keeps saying "SIM Registration Failed." We're going to top it up this morning, so no worries about that. This morning she tried using the Facebook app, but instead of conecting via WLAN, it says "Connecting via IDEAS" which is the Singtel SIM card here in Singapore. I've manually connected to my Wifi network here, and even went to the connection manager to set the priority to 1. The app still doesn't connect via WLAN, and instead tries to use the SIM. When she does top up her card, this could be a quick money waster, especially when we have an abundance of Wifi connectivity....so how do I get the web-based apps to use WLAN over anything else?

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Re: E72: Web-based apps try using connection other than WLAN?

Change the packet-data connection settings from when available to when needed and change the Facebook connection settings to always ask before connecting.
‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hadimassa, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I was able to do this for the Facebook app, and now it works without any problems. Can something similar be done for the Ovi store, or other services, like downloading languages for the dictionary app? Both of these options attempt to use the Singtel IDEAS method to connect, but because it's a prepaid phone, it's not possible. Any way to make them use the Wifi, or can this not be done over this type of connection?

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

JimSG wrote:

Hadimassa, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I was able to do this for the Facebook app, and now it works without any problems. Can something similar be done for the Ovi store, or other services, like downloading languages for the dictionary app? Both of these options attempt to use the Singtel IDEAS method to connect, but because it's a prepaid phone, it's not possible. Any way to make them use the Wifi, or can this not be done over this type of connection?

Thanks in advance!

I'll bet you can.:smileywink: Check the English manual on page 137 about Accesspoint Groups and Priorities.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/e72/guides

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.