Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: E72 first impressions (not very happy i am afr...

Counsellor

E72 first impressions (not very happy i am afraid)

Hi.

While i am still a rather new user to the E72 (previously i used a E51) i would like to summerise all my thoughts. Sofrware version 031.023.261.01.

1. The phone should never ever send an SMS to nokia or anywhere else when the phone is started the first time. The only option there was was to select OK. And so the message was send, please remove this. Already here you get a feeling that nokia does not care about business users.

2. On my phone i have the following writing (T9 or similar) languages: Swe, Fin, Eng. On the E51 i also had Norwegian and a few others. It would be really good if a few other languages were added or if it was possible to download extra languages to the phone.

3. The antennas are placed in bad positions. When holding the phone in the hand, 3G-signal strengths falls close to zero, this was never the case on E51 where all antennas are at the top.

4. The acrobat reader LE 2.5, requires registration. This should not be needed at all, the applications should start without any registration at all.

5. The e-mail client should allow to set up accounts entirely offline, without sending any information to nokia AT ALL. Again this is a business phone.

6. When using POP3 accounts in the e-mail client it should be possible to send a bcc copy to oneself automatically (just like it was possible on E51 and E71).

7. When using IMAP4 accounts in the e-mail client it should be possible to send a bcc copy to oneself automatically (just like it was possible on E51 and E71) or there should be an option to set the client to automatically transfer the message to a specified folder on the IMAP-server.

8. The e-mail client (using IMAP) disconnects when e-mails contains strangely encoded characters, this is very bad as it is impossible to continue until the problematic email is gone.

This was not a problem in the E51 and E71.

9. The connection grouping is probably a good thing, however i would like to use the E51 connection selector.

10. When changing SIM-card the internet browser automatically selects a standard connection, even if one previously set it to "always ask". This is a problem also on E51.

11. Even though i have manually removed email-notifications from the start screen, the notifications keep popping up.

12. I removed the balloon messages from the start screen, but it looks impossible to get them back. Not that i want that, but i cannot find them anyway.

13. When pressing the left soft menu key (Select probably in English). There is always a topmost option called "Show open programs *" This should be possible to turn off as it is only annoying. It is also possible to hold the House button and see all running programs.

14. When holding the House button, it should display the open programs and select the next program on the list, not the one that is currently used. On the E51 you can switch between applications faster and with less clicks.

15. In the menu, there are "messages" and "e-mail". But under messages all email accounts are available.... why?

16. The build in web browser is considerably less good on scaling the webpages then the browser on E51. The fonts get ugly on E72, on E51 they were scaled down.

17. The web browser does not display the ALT or TITEL tags for unloaded images (when surfing without images). Hence it is impossible to click links that are based on images when browsing without image loading. This was not a problem on the E51.

18. It is not possible to add the internet radio to a quick launch button any more.

-

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: E72 first impressions (not very happy i am afraid)

19. On E72 When using IMAP with many folders, you really have to make a lot of clicks to change folder, this was better on the E51 and E71 client.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

20. When connected to e-mail accounts on the E72, there are no indicators on the main page for e-mail accounts that show you which accounts are connected. (Home -> E-mail).

On the E51 one could see which are connected.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

21. In the e-mail client on E72 there is no difference between delete from phone and delete from server. Hence, if you set the client do download only headers, you will not be able to keep certain messages longer then until you have received N number of new emails (30 by default).

Also, you will have a lot of unneeded data stored on the phone as you read an email and figure out that you want to save the email, but not on the phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
brijeshdshah

22. the Phone also gets hanged up very fast if u start working with 2 to 3 application at a time nad there is no alternate other than restarting it. i am not so happy using the e72 rather e51 was much better option as my earlier phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

23. When sending a SMS to a Contact Group, you are asked whether you want to send the SMS to a number or an email address that may exist for some of the contacts in the Group (althouhg the phone knows that you are sending a SMS and NOT an email). The workaround is to define for all contacts with emails, the phone number as default for Text messaging. However, apart from time consuming, this information is not saved through the BackUp function of PC Suite, or transferred through the native Switch function, so you need to re-configure it every time you change phones.

24. Mail for Exchange client: Still buggy (i.e. emails look funny with too many empty Carriage Retruns, forwards are still working some times, client in general is slow and unstable)

25. The "Small" or "Smallest" fonts are still bigger than E51's, which, given also the shorter (vertically) screen of E72, make screen content comparison with E51 unfavorable

26. Phone hangs on number of occasions and you need to re-start it (i.e. when email client is stuch or confused, when running more than 2-3 applications, etc.)

27. Stupid applications (i.e. Vlingo) that start up on their own and ask you for things, and which you need to go to Application Manager to uninstall (in E51 you could do that just by pressing the backspace button on the application icon)

28. The phone in general is slower than E51, even with no applications running in the background

In general: Still inferior to E71/E51, even after 4+ years of presence of these older models...

All the above hold true (unfortunately) also for the new firmware version (051.018).

Timos Tsokanis
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

3. The antenna issue looks to be a problem for GSM as well, as soon as i hold the phone in my hand the signal strength goes down very much.

11. issue can be removed, it was an handling error from my part.

Adding:

29. Active notes cannot be found using the search option (magnifying glass). This is possible on the E51. Should be added back tyo E72.

30. Real player stops as soon as the left selector button is pressed. There should be an option to have it running in the background. (sometimes there is no video transmission anyway).

32. From tests i have made it looks to be the case that the phone disconencts the internet connection between e-mail synchronizations. This is a really good thing!

I need to test more, to be absolutly certain, but so far it looks good.

33. The internet radio still does not allow a user to change the name or address to a manually added stream, rather bad if you make spelling error.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hellsway

34. It doesnt have touchscreen

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

34. as for touchscreen, for me i do not want a touchscreen, but of course, if E72 had a touchscreen as well as the keyboard, full users would have flexibility.

35. The recording application still send beeps every five seconds when recording a conversation. This should be possible to turn off.

36. The recording tool stops recording if you try to have it in the background. This is problematic if you are in a conversation that you record and need to do something else, say send an email at the same time or just look in your calendar to set an appointment.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

36. The camera should not make any noises when taking pictures, or the sound should be possible to mute.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

37. When replying an e-mail it is not possible to change which mail account to use for the message. On the E51, i think this was called "send options" on the english version. in swedish E51 it is called "sändningsalternativ".

The possibility to change the sending account after message is written is very good. Especially if you work for two divisions within a company and for some reason have to e-mail addresses, in such cases people tend to use both addresses whereas you want to reply from one (depending on issue).

Another issue can be that depending on network and SMTP-server access you might need to set up multiple accounts just to have multiple server options.

I really think that from all i have found so far, the e-mail application is what needs most attention from developer, and it really has to be dealt with now, not tomorrow or the next week.

It is sad, but there is a great risk that i will go back to the store and give them the E72 back.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I start to feel stupid, here are yet a few things that in my opinion can be improved.

38. In the old calendars (E51) one there is no scrolling over the day, all appointments are just showed after each other. On E72 the day view looks nice at first, but realizing that one cannot see all appointments at once (say 08 in the morning and 17 in the evening, will not be seen easily).

It would be good if it was possible to change to a simpler view that does not require scrolling.

E72 is a phone with a keypad, not a computer with a touchscreen and mouse, hence it is important to make the phone easy to use with keys only. Nokia made a very good job here, especially with the E51 and similar, but now that the phone is more like a computer Nokia forgot that it is actually a phone with some computer like aspects, but not a computer.

39. When adding a new appointment the alarm can only be set to predefined times before the appointment. This is more similar to outlook, but equally bad, especially when you want 1,5h or 36h (none can be set). The old style alarm setting (E51 again) allowed you to set any time in advance specifying the exact time. Much more flexible then the current option.

40. Returning to the antenna issue. I have now had a number of calls, noice cancellation is off. From what i can see, the signal strength is constantly lower then on the E51 used on the exact same spot on the same operator. People also complain that they cannot hear me, they say, "i have full coverage so it must be at your end". When they say this i check the phone and the signal strengt is really low, this never happens on the E51 at this location.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

38. please ignore the issue 38, i just found the planning view, very good indeed.

Please use plain text.