Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

E75 Problems

Contributor

E75 Problems

Hi everyone. I have several issues with my E75 and would appreciate any feedback from other users.

Firstly, I have set the default numbers for voice calls, SMS, email etc for all of my contacts. Yet every time I send a message or make a call I get prompted to choose the number. The default number settings are not being used. When I check the contacts the default number settings are all correct and haven’t been lost.

Secondly, I am now on my second E75 handset as the first one suffered from extremely low signal strength. This one is the same. I am currently waiting for a new SIM to see if there is any improvement. Where my previous Nokia N82 and N79 both had a signal strength of about 25% - 75%, the E75 spends most of its showing ’No network coverage’. I am on Vodafone in the UK and apparently they don’t use USIM cards on their 3G network, just SIM cards. Does anyone know if this would make a difference? In areas of good reception the phone works fine with full 3G/3.5G etc.

Lastly, there seems to be some inconsistencies when applications access the Internet. I have set up access points for GPRS, WAP, and wifi. I have also set up the 'Destinations’ with the order in which I want the access points to be used. This works great for the web application which happily connects via my wifi  if in range or via GPRS if not. However the email application seems to insist on using specific access points NOT the destinations. This is really annoying as it checks email using GPRS even though I am within range of my wifi network. To change the access point to use wifi means changing both the incoming and outgoing access points for every email account and then changing them all back to GPRS again when I leave my home/office! What is the point of having the great idea of using 'Destinations' if some applications don’t use them?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: E75 Problems

I have the same problem with my all brand new E75, bought in Sweden. It´s a black and silver model. As soon as I take the phone in my hand an hold it, signal strengh drops to almost nothing. But if a place it on a table the signal strengt goes upp 2-3 "steps". This is of course a major problem and make the phone practically impossible to use in all rural areas.

As googol, I would very much appreciate feedback from other users.

Please use plain text.

Hi,

Did you already received your new sim card? I have the same problem with my E75 in the Netherlands, bad signal strenght and sometimes no network coverage and then it takes a long time before the signal is back. My n79 and e65 do not have this problem when i used the same sim card.

Also the battery is very bad. I have mail for exchange that is synchronizing every 15min. with the exchange server and about one and a half hours of calls on a day and i must charge the phone before the end of the day because the battery is empty.

I hope it is a firmware problem that can be fixed soon!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi aschalke.

Yes I received my new SIM card and it made no difference at all. I spoke to Nokia and they have taken the phone back for a credit. It's a real shame as I loved the phone.

My own thoughts on this are that the major phone companies are so focused on adding 'value' to their handsets, making them all things to all people that they have forgotten that a phone is primarily a device used to speak to others. The handset can make coffee and toast for all I care, but if I can't speak to anyone in it then it is just an expensive paper weight.

If you do get a firmware update and it fixes the problem would be kind enough to post your experience here. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi everyone,

I got a replacment phone, it did improve the reception/signal strenght a bit, but it is still the extremely low if I hold the phone. In rural areas impossible to use, if I hold it in my hand. But on the upside, it has forced me to use handsfree all the time:smileywink:

It is a great moile device though, besides as a telephone, hope the fix it.

Please use plain text.

Also experience all of those problems, except the GMS signal, which is pretty fine with my phone (Netherlands). Battery performance VERY bad, Exchange sync is not stable (have to reset my phone a few times/day and phone seems to be very slow, for example when opening/searching contacts or opening mail for exchange.

Hope there will be a firmware update soon which can solve the problems, else I have to buy an other phone. This is dramatic for a business phone.

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Traction, wich provider do you use? I have KPN Mobile in Holland, and my other phone (N79) with KPN Mobile had two stripes more on signal strenght.

I think MfE is the problem when it becomes to battery life, because when i don't use the phone for making calls (on saturdays) and MfE is set to sync every 15 minutes the phone is also empty before the end of the day..

And my MfE is also very unstable, when i set it to sync it takes a very long time before there is some action. Also the always on (push-mail) option is not working well, because the phone does disconnect the internet connection when it must stay online. And syncing for the first time tooked hours. First the mail was filled, but all my contacts tooked multiple syncs and a few hours before it was filled.

If i compare it to MfE for the normal e-series (e65, e71, etc) this one works very strange..

I dont know what the people where thinking that made the reviews of this phone, they all mentioned that MfE is working perfect/battery life is good and signal strenght is very good. But from the first day i had this phone i have problems with these things..

I'm almost gonna use my old reliable e65 again..

Message Edited by aschalke on 06-May-2009 09:48 PM
Please use plain text.

All the same problems here.

My provider is also KPN but, as earlier mentioned, no problems with signal strength.

I did send you a private message with my email address. Please contact me by email.

BR,

Marcel

Please use plain text.
Professor

so if signal drops when holding in your hand where is the antenna located?
Please use plain text.

Hi all,

just to let you know that with Nokia E71, a lot of us have the same problem you have with E75. Search the web for Nokia E71 reception problems and you will see plenty of it. Here's a small selection:

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com//discussions/board/message?board.id=communicators&message.id=274...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/08/04/nokia-e71-2-reception-issues-mmm/comment-page-3/

And a shocking video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IN&hl=en-GB&v=gi1gHDa7-X0

regards,

toni

Please use plain text.
Advisor

The video says it all! I could produce a similar with my E75! I have tried with 3 different operators, the same effect so it is a bad phone, bad design i'll guess. I have little comfort in the fact that it is a very nice device apart from that.

My very old Nokia is by far a better mobil phone.

Is anyone from Nokia reading this, what about a comment? Or 2 even...

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well Nokia have just confirmed that they have received my second handset back. Expecting a credit any day. A real shame.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I just had to, the quality is not very good, but you get the message I'll guess:smileymad:

And this is when the conditions is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRvTROBsXxk

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I am too facing the same problem on e75 
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

You do seem to have a few issues with your phone. Luckily I am not having issues but let's see if we can get you sorted. By the way, if this is a branded phone, then there is no telling how your firmware is affected. Mine is unbranded and unlocked.

As far as contacts are concerned, do you have any double contacts or say a contact with the same name but two different numbers in the same contact field. Such as: Joe - Mobile: 1234567, and Joe - Mobile: 1234567? If so, this might be confusing the phone and it does not know which one to choose.

The lack of USIM might also be an issue. As I am not in the UK currently, I can not verify this for sure. Take a peek in this forum: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1002793.html and see if you can get more info there.

You are correct but many times it is the fault of the developer for not making their applications Destination aware.

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi sapporobaby. Thanks for your reply.

The phone is unlocked and unbranded, bought directly from Nokia.

Regarding the contact issues, no there are not any duplicates which might confuse the handset.

Still not sure as to whether a USIM would have made a difference as apparently Vodafone don't use them. However I did get a new sim from Vodafone and this didn't improve things at all.

Regarding the connection issues, I agree that sometimes developer do not make their applications Destination aware. However as the mail program on the E75 is written by Nokia I would have thought it would be Destination aware.

The whole thing is academic now as I have returned the headset and had a full refund from Nokia.

Please use plain text.

I too am on my second E75 as I couldnt believe how bad the signal quality was on my first one!

Guess what.the second ine is just as bad!!!!

This must be a known fault with the E75 - it is terrible!!

I have been losing calls, missing calls, and not able to get a signal at my house or office - I have never had these problems before!!

I did a quick, albeit un-scientific, experiment theo other day.

I put my old N85, my wifes Nokia 6288 and my Daughters Samsung Tocca - all 200mm apart on the same surface - all facing the same way as my Nokia e75...............all have Vodafone SIM's

The N85 and 6288 had two bars of signal - the Samsung nearly full signal!.......and the E75??.......................NOTHING..................not even an operator signal!! 

Shoudl I send it back and revert to my N85 or will there be a quick fix...SOON????

Please use plain text.
Advisor

hey my phone is also not branded and i am in India using Vodaphone same issue upside down i get full signal but straight 1 bar signal
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi, I am having the same problem as you with sending mail.

I only want to send Email when in a WiFi hotspot.

How do I change this - I can't seem to find where this is located the place about the incoming mail etc.

Thank you

Amy

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Hey Amy,

I posted over in the other thread about a possible solution.

As for the facing of the phone. It sounds like some sort of polarization issue. Most likely, there will be a fix coming soon. Usually happens about 4 to 6 weeks after the release of a phone.

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.