Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Hotmail not working on Nokia Messaging

Hotmail not working on Nokia Messaging

Hello,

My Hotmail account has stopped working on my Nokia E63's Nokia Messaging.  My Gmail account works there without any problems but I stopped receiving new messages on Hotmail.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nokia Messaging, deleting and readding my Hotmail account but nothing seems to work.

Is there a problem with Hotmail's servers?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: Hotmail not working on Nokia Messaging

It would seem the service has failed, Your not alone,

Stoped working Yesterday for me, and not had anything since cannot send cannot recive

Setup Gmail on it to check its not my Service Provider or software and that works, 

So it would tell me Hotmail have done some sort of update or something to knock the service off

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

The free POP3 and SMTP access will be available to all, each and every Hotmail users eventually. However, during the initial rolling out stage, the POP3 and SMTP support on the Hotmail account will be enabled in stage by country and regional market. Windows Live blog announced that Hotmail users in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, Japan, Spain, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands are the first to enjoy the free POP3 and SMTP service as part of Hotmail wave 3 roll out. Good news is, all Hotmail users should have POP3 and SMTP enabled and turned on in their account by end of 2009.

To setup mail client to access Windows Live Hotmail account, use the following Hotmail POP3 and SMTP configuration settings:

Incoming Server (POP3 Server): pop3.live.com
Incoming Server POP Port: 995
Incoming Server POP SSL Encryption: Yes (On or Required)

Outgoing Server (SMTP Server): smtp.live.com
Outgoing Server SMTP Port: 25
Outgoing Server Authentication: Yes (On – Use POP username and password or Hotmail credentials)
Outgoing Server TLS or SSL Secure Encrypted Connection: Yes (On or Required)

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the message,

This was working fine untill yesterday,,,,

Anyway i have looked at the info you have Given but you dont have the options to change any pop settings, 

it kind of reconises the @live or @hotmail and auto fills all the info in for you...

Left me a little stuck any advise?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Maybe this will help you:

http://email.nokia.com/account/faq.action

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Sorry mate its not working,

I went in and didnt select Hotmail and selected a Custom Option, 

But a bogus Email addy in and changed all the details POP details etc

Setup the account, Actived and downloaded my messaged, 

Its not working on a Push service no more tho,

I have sent a number of test emails to the account and i only recive them when i go to send and recive, 

A few days before hand checking my emails manuly this is what Nokia sent me:

Dear Nokia Messaging customer,

Recently, our email service has been unable to connect to your email service provider, preventing email delivery to your phone.

This may occur due to one of the following reasons:

1. Through your service provider, you have changed the email password of your email address. If so, you must update your Nokia Messaging service account with your new password. Email messages will then be delivered to your phone.

2. The server for your email address is down. For more information, contact your service provider.

3. You might have inadvertently changed a setting in your Nokia Messaging service account. Log in to your Nokia Messaging account on the website ******** NOKIA EMAIL ACCOUNT LINK******** to determine whether your information needs to be updated.

Sincerely,
The Nokia Messaging Team

*** This email was generated automatically. Please do not reply to it. **

And yes i can login to my account using the same username and password that is on my phone,

this is not the default mail client thats on the phone, the Nokia Messaging Service, Push email is what i am on about just incase there is wires crossed

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Push needs IMAP not POP. You have to make sure that the port and SSL settings are correct. Show me what you have.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shoooter

dave7802
I had the same message a few months back when my hotmail stopped working.
What I did was log into http://email.nokia.com> edit settings and re-enter my hotmail password.
The service then started working, even tho I had not changed any settings. I didn't understand why this had happened, its almost as if the password had expired online...
Maybe worth a try?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this message helps, hit the kudos button........:smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the help guys

Its working now,

And it was not the password on the account....... i was just about to try it when i said i would go over all the settings again on the phone

Allthough i uninstalled the Nokia Messaging 5 times and redownloaded and reinstalled

For some reason the Sync setting where different from Default... Never had to change these before.

Sync While Roaming was set to Always Ask, Changed to Always Sync

Went to options, Tools, Go Offline, 

The Put it back Online and its worked......

Had emails for 7 hours no issues, 

So i dont know if it was the Sync Option  (Why it stoped working in the first place no idea)

Or just putting it offline and Online sort of refreshed its account details  

(Even tho i re-enetered these in about a Billion times)

Strange but its working, And again thanks for all your hope, 

Some of this will be usfull for anyone els who faces of an alike issue a number of things for them to try and resolve the issue, 

I hope the original postere got there issue sorted.

Thanks again Chaps :-)

Please use plain text.

It seems to work now.  I did nothing and it just started reworking by itself.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi,

I just went into settings and re-entered password. I have a Nokia E71 and if it is sent to sync always it kills the battery. I had to go back to syncing every 4 hours to get best battery life.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

According to Nokia (and the people on the careline will doggedly repeat these instructions), you need to go to the nokia messaging site, log on, reset your password, then it should start synching again. This is despite the user not changing one single thing.  No one at Nokia has been able to explain why this happens, nor when it will happen/what triggers it, resulting in a hugely frustrating and time-wasting exercise each time. 

However, the last time it happened (before this afternoon) was in early November and that was because they were doing some overhaul to their servers - that time, the messaging website was also down and not all of their careline staff were informed.  The service was down for almost a day.  One would have thought that they could advise customers of servicing schedules ...

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

Hi, I tried all the methodes mentioned in the previous posts but unfortunatly with no success.

I keep getting the Nokia "no connection" e-mail as soon as I renew my password on the website. I also reinstalled Nokia Messaging.

Nokia Care Centre where not able to help me. They said that the problem is at Hotmail and that i will have to contact Windows Live for that.

Is someone having the same problem?

Thanks in advance!

Message Edited by tish77 on 12-Nov-2009 03:44 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hey Everyone

I am having the same problem. Hotmail and Nokia Messaging are not working well together.

Someone from Nokia Customer Care is supposed to call me back. And I'm waiting for tech support from Windows Live Mobile as well.

It's really frustrating having to uninstall and reinstall this program each time it "crashes'. I wake up in the morning with that error message. SO annoying. 

I'll keep you posted if anyone can help us. It's a shame because I love the program Nokia Messaging. It's so easy to use. And fast. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
alun_rodgers

Look on the bright side, I can't uninstall and re-install the client on my N86 because it's built into the software.

As to the issue at hand, I wonder if the Nokia servers that connect to the mailboxes are constantly connected rather than disconnecting and reconnecting at fixed intervals?

Often if I stay logged into my hotmail mailbox from a web page for more than a few hours, it throws up a "you need to sign in again" link at the top of the page and won't refresh the mailbox contents until you do this.

When we reset our passwords the service must re-authenticate with hotmail / g-mail and this performs a similar sign in and recommences mail delivery to the handset client.

Perhaps the messaging team can answer this question and build a disconnect / reconnect procedure into the service at regular intervals?

Alun.

N8-00 (Product Code: 059C5Q8 (UK Generic)) FW Belle (111.030.0609.377.01)
Orange 5.1, NK702, 7110, 8310, 7250, 6230, N70, N95-1, N86 8MP, N8-00
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Since my last post, I have had 10 "Problem with your email" messages from Nokia, five frustrating calls with the careline (nokia need to rename this to be more representative of the level of 'care' they provide) and still no solution to the syncing issue.  I have also removed and reinstalled messenger, but it makes zero difference.  When i change the password through the messaging webpage, it works momentarily - literally:  I get one sync and then a "Problem with your email" emai\l message and then it stops again.  Does anyone have any advice at all?  The nokia staff have been no use at all.  I am seriously considering ditching nokia altogether as no one can tell me what is wrong, what can be done, when a solution may be found - nothing.  Given the level of service i have received, I no longer have any confidence in the company.  Any help/advice is appreciated. 
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I get one sync and then back to the "problem with your blah blah" email. I've COMPLETELY lost faith with Nokia. This was one of the few things that worked without a hitch on my n97. I think that as a company Nokia are now TOTALLY OUT OF THEIR DEPTH IN THE SMARTPHONE MARKET. They're trailing in the wake of HTC, Apple, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, and very soon now Motorola. Every operating system available on a smartphone works better than Symbian. I'd rather be using Windows Mobile 5 at the moment-even that has more support and it's well over 5 years old!

I'm yet another customer who won't be renewing my support for Nokia. I can't think of another example in the modern world where a company has released a product so bad as to be virtually unuseable, and still not acknowledge the mistake let alone apologise. And with the release of the n900 (And presumably the sweeping under the carpet of the n97) I think that Nokia are 'fiddling while Rome burns'. They're losing money, and with the contempt they show for the loyal customers who have put them where they are they don't really deserve anything but to slide out of the high-end mobile market. Stick with your 3330's and you might survive-at the level you deserve to be. 

Please use plain text.

I've had similar problems and I basically gave up trying to fix Hotmail on Nokia Messaging.  It sort of gets fixed by itself within a couple of days.  I'm assuming it's a Hotmail server problem because my gmail account works fine with Nokia messaging.  As for Windows Live Messenger, I don't use it, I use Fring which works great.
Please use plain text.

Me too.  This has happened with some regularity - Messaging problems, I mean, especially with Hotmail - and almost always on a Friday.  This Friday it's happening again.

All day yesterday I had to keep re-entering my passwords, and that'd work for a short while, and today nothing works.  I couldn't even log into this support site - it said my id and email were not recognized so I created a new id.

Very frustrating, and it remains the only think which I am unhappy about with Nokia and my E71, but it is a major problem.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aussea

Oh I am going to cut some slack to Nokia Messaging and the current spate of problems with hotmail/live.com authentications and other issues that are being reported here.

I run Seven Push Mail (Email on 3 - Australia) and Nokia Messaging concurrently often on my Nokia E75. Seven is experiencing major problems with the hotmail/live.com authentication process at the moment too. Take a look at their forums. It has been going on for days. Constant password expired messages flash up when I have Seven Push mail fired up. Its all hotmail's fault :smileyhappy:

I couldn't stand (anymore) all the interruptions eminating from hotmail/push email client relationship over the past few weeks, so I decided to go with a paid IMAP hosting account a couple of days ago. Never looked back. Clean, efficient and reliable delivery of email on Nokia messaging at last. But I still have that live.com account in the background in case.......

Please use plain text.