Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Lumia Lust, anyone? What you guys think of WP8...

Advisor
BBorges

Lumia Lust, anyone? What you guys think of WP8?

I guess one can say that anyone using a E-Series Nokia is excercising their choice. No need to (vast) list of good things these phones offer.

Even though my E6 has served me well, I started to consider upgrading to a new Lumia 920, mainly because of the 4G network speed and maybe the screensize, E6 is way too small.

At the same time, I am a bit concerned about WP8 and how it actually performs.

Any E6 user considered the upgrade? Any opnions on the new Lumia 920?

Thanks in advance,

BB

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Lumia Lust, anyone? What you guys think of WP8?

Never used an E Series ..but can say that I am delighted and amazed with the transition from S60v5 (Nokia 5800xm) to WP8 (Nokia Lumia 920) ...  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Having had all E series WP8 is a breath of fresh air compared to the just about dead OS symbian.Move on with the times and get your 920

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
BBorges

Jimmy,

As much as I am comfortable and actually like the Symbian, I think you are right on the spot, I am just delaying the transition, maybe for nostalgic reasons? Symbian is dead and there is no point in holding on to it for long. :smileysad:

I went to the AT&T store yesterday to check out these phones (first step taken!), and they only had the Lumia 900 on stock - apparently the 920 is on back order? - and here are few comments / questions:

- Solid, but bulkier than the E6. The E6 definitely has that easy-to-carry feel to it.

- Fast 4G! Nice and snappy!

- Where is the Ovi Maps?! This is a big issue, I could only see (find) something called "AT&T Navigator" and "Bing Maps". It seems to me like AT&T is pushing the add-on Navigator so they can actually charge for the subscription.

Could someone confirm that even if not installed on the AT&T sets, that I could upload the Nokia Ovi Maps and all the Ovi Package and NOT have to use the AT&T programs?

Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

You now have nokia drive on the 920 and nokia maps which is simply outstanding you wont be tied to AT&T.
Naturally the 920 is bigger ,most new phones are now the E5/E6 Where great phones in their time.
Handy to keep your E6 as a back up device!

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
DESe6

BB,

I am a current E6 user and in a nutshell, I was enamored with the Lumia 920 too.  But, after spending about an hour playing with it and discovering that many functions were no longer present from previous Nokias (e series), I decided it's not for me. There may be apps in the App Store that would replace the functions that are no longer there but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money to discover the apps don't exist.

This is just a list of deal breakers for me (just my opinion too):

No GPS Data editor: This is my most important "gotta have" function. I have an old E71 that had the best GPS Data apps.  The E6 I had originally didn't have a GPS data editor but I found something that worked in Nokia Store. After upgrading to Belle, that app no longer was compatible and there is no other for the E6.

No Keyboard:  Although the virtual keyboard one the Lumia 920 is very good, it will never replace a real keyboard.

OS:  If I am going to have to make a switch, WP8 is a good switch. But, I really like Symbian and the way things are structured within the OS.  

Data Speed:  I am on T-Mobile so the Lumia 920 will only do EDGE speeds. Plus, AT&T won't sell them outright without a contract at this time.  At least that's what they told me.  I am guessing you are with AT&T so data speeds shouldn't be a problem for you.   

The bottom line for me is I will be moving on from Nokia entirely.  This may seem a little dramatic but I really feel let down by Nokia at this point. I was always bragging about what my E71 could do compared to iPhone users. The fact that I had a powerful GPS tool was so important since I travel. The E6 brought many improvements but was also a step backwards in many cases from the E71.  I was able to make the E6 funtion as my E71 did but then Belle came along.  My E6 on Belle will no longer do what I mainly wanted it to do.  The Lumia 920 doesn't bring back any of the lost functions and is in fact another step backward in many respects, for me at least.  As is the case with anything, my comments are strickly my opinion and relate to how I use(d) my E71 and E6. 

DS

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

I also find myself in the camp of not seeing any benefit to the Lumia. For me my E72 with all its stupid design by commitie flaws still performs as a better communications tool. To me WP is as dead an end as symbian. Perhaps worse because when those services stop then that functionality stops.

My symbian will still:
- make calls and texts simply and easily and faster than any screen phone
- survive drops without a cracked screen
- has quite a sufficient stills camera
- has micro SD to allow me to put my music there without iTunes or Zune getting in the middle like a stikkie beak
- has a great bluetooth connection to shift things between it and my Android tablet
- allows me to WiFi share my 3G to my other devices, and its quite quick

to me the trying to make a tiny device do big screen functionality is the height of stupidity. Still, people buy useless fashion shoes and handbags, so clearly there is a market for everything.

My personal view is that I want my phone to be a phone, something i can put in my pocket and not feel like I forgot to drop that rental VHS tape off.

I want the phone to also share out my internet access, to my bigger more powerful devices. I do want alsobasic things quickly, such as facebook posts and twitter. These are seldom screen intensive.

Lastly I want some battery life and the ability to swap out a battery and keep going. I get a week travelling with 2 batteries. Sometimes I travel to where its inconvenient to always be charging. Sometimes I have 4 hours on the phone and don't want to be on a chord charging to do that.

So no, no Lumia lust at all. I think Steve Elop forgot to mention that jumping off that burning platform from the height they are into the seas where they are would be almost certain death.

Better to have stayed and fought the fire than be a coward. Will be interesting to watch Jolla and Sailfish
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

oh and ditto the gps stuff too
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

Please use plain text.