Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Name of caller not displaying

Name of caller not displaying

Hi, I originally posted this on the developer forums by mistake (don't ask how:smileytongue:) I have a problem with a E71 that does not display some(!) contacts that are in the adress book when they call or send SMS. The numbers look like this in the adress book:

*Name:
Oscar

Mobile:
+4670111111 (of course not a the real number:smileywink: )

Mobile (Private)
55070111111 (special number within the company I work at)*

Many contacts in the adress book look like this and names are displayed when calling/SMSing. But when that number (and a few others) call or SMS it is just displayed as +4670111111. Removing and entering the contact again doesn't work. Restarting the phone doesn't help either. The phone has the latest firmware. Contacts are located in the phone memory and none on the SIM-card. Removing the special number (55070111111) doesn't help and reformating the +46 number to just 070111111 doesn't work either. Hmm...I think thats about it. Thankful for any help:smileyhappy:

I got some answers in the developer forums anyway but I havn't been able to get a hold of the user with the problem. These are the answers I got:

"This is a limitation of Symbian/S60's default contacts searching pattern and the phone creators should indeed fix it. However, the phone creators are not to be found around Forum Nokia, here we are supporting 3rd party developers only and we are mostly interested on what we can do with the phones after they leave the factory."

and

"Hello,
you should ask about this on support forum:

but as far as i know this problem is because you have got this number used in more than 1 contact.
Device does not which contact should choose for this number and just displays number.

I know it s stupid but what can we do.

Search your contacts and make sure each number is used used only once."

They are quite interesting but I thought someone here might have something to add:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

Re: Name of caller not displaying

/discussions/board/message?board.id=topfaq&thread.id=28

try this it might help

also sim and phone memory if you display both at the same time it counts as double 

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.