Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia E6 doesn’t have notification light

Contributor
zaki67

Re: Nokia E6 doesn’t have notification light

This is not similar to the e71 problem, you really have to look hard to tell whether it's blinking or not. I really do not think the light would show on video unless it is taken in total darkness. I had the e 71 and 72 nothing was nearly as dim.as this.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

E6 is totally fail!!! i'm going to change to android

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
harunorhan

Don't exaggerate people. Every phone has its flaws. This phone obviously needs a software update, and it will eventually come. Just a little patience.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
charger01

Nokia should refund his customer within warranty time window.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arbakul

The  main questions remains:

Is this fixable by te software update or it is hardware issue?

In the second case, what's your move Nokia?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
harunorhan

that's right, we do want to know if it's fixable by an update.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Can anyone from NOKIA could tell if this lack of notifications light can be fixed by software update or it's caused by hardware fault????

I'm waiting with decison of  buying this phone or not and every day of waiting for your response I'm getting convinced that NOKIA is going to an end of it's greatness....  They even don't test their new phones. The customers are their beta testers spending the money for phones that don't work correclty and out of the box they are missing some general functionality...

Please use plain text.
Sage
Since_6110

i think it is very, very unlikely that this problem can be solved with software, because a led light has one brightness level... so there can be no software tweak to increase the brightness.  i think the most likely thing is they will switch to using the one-touch keyboard back-light as the indicator, particularly if that is a separate set of leds to the main keyboard back-light.

they may offer a hardware mod to people who actually call or bring it into nokia care, but that can only be once they have actually figured out what to do.

remember that while they are "replicating the problem" (as one admin put it the other day on this board), then decide how they are going to fix it and then implement that change on the production line, hundreds of thousands of devices continue to roll off the production lines and are boxed, palleted and shipped.  what are they going to do with those ?? send them all back to the factory, unwrap them individually and take each one apart to put in a new led light ??? then box them up etc etc etc ....

i don't think so. 

they will either use the keyboard backlight or do nothing except for people who complain.

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

Since_6110 wrote:

i think it is very, very unlikely that this problem can be solved with software, because a led light has one brightness level... so there can be no software tweak to increase the brightness.  i think the most likely thing is they will switch to using the one-touch keyboard back-light as the indicator, particularly if that is a separate set of leds to the main keyboard back-light.

they may offer a hardware mod to people who actually call or bring it into nokia care, but that can only be once they have actually figured out what to do.

remember that while they are "replicating the problem" (as one admin put it the other day on this board), then decide how they are going to fix it and then implement that change on the production line, hundreds of thousands of devices continue to roll off the production lines and are boxed, palleted and shipped.  what are they going to do with those ?? send them all back to the factory, unwrap them individually and take each one apart to put in a new led light ??? then box them up etc etc etc ....

i don't think so. 

they will either use the keyboard backlight or do nothing except for people who complain.

Even making the light brighter wouldn't help. The D-pad is not transparent. The gap between pad and chrome ring is too small to allow for sufficient light to shine through. So regardless of what you do with settings/intensity etc. - you just won't see the light!

If they find & implement a solution soon I will lift my cap and apologize. Until then: Nokia, your team that developed this is just pathetic and incompetent.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

if only someone could make an app that would use the mute key's red LED as the notification light.
But there dont seem to be too many e6 users ( speacially developers )
Please use plain text.
Jeeps

How ironic... I upgraded from a 6600 fold where the notification light ALSO didn't work properly. Actually that was one of my reasons for the change. :smileyindifferent:

Please fix it, Nokia. It's a pretty important feature in my opinion.

Please use plain text.
mrsean2k

[ Edited ]

"because a led light has one brightness level."

On this narrow point, an LED can have a wide range of brightness. The question is whether or not what you're seeing here is the maximum brightness

Please use plain text.
Contributor
EseriesFan

harunorhan wrote:

Don't exaggerate people. Every phone has its flaws. This phone obviously needs a software update, and it will eventually come. Just a little patience.

it is hard for me to say as I really was a true Nokia fan, but this looks like someone is taking the p..s of the customers. What is the problem in selecting random 100 people ( using ovi store data  eg) and giving them handset to use it for 2 weeks asking for a feedback after that period, before you actually move on with the mass production?

e6 is a great phone, feels durable, looks solid, keyboard lock on a side great function , 4 customised home touch  screens and few ither really good functions....but..... there is few things which disqualify this handset in my opinion and many others:

first of all notification light,  anyone who switched from E72 must be asking himself a question: it's a joke right? you are not able to see it at all in a normal daily light conditions, second thing it only blinks when you had a missed call or txt ignoring new e-mail (they probably thought if they wont be able to see it at all what is the point of adding email notification)

battery life - 28 days standby time, 14 hrs talk time according to Nokia, according to me who actually used this  handset it  might last u for a day if you send receive 20 emails, make 20 mins of phone calls and send few txts plus browsing the web for around 30 mins

this should be said by Nokia what is the point of lying over here ? people will find out anyway

Battery was the only thing you could proudly discuss with Iphone or Galaxy users, your battery which lasts 5-6 days (E72) comparing to theirs 1 day if they are lucky

not anymore :smileysad:

email client - huge downgrade from E72 in my opinion, if u try to send email in the area with a normal 3g connection check your outbox as it might be sat there for few hours :smileysad:

software - Symbian Anna, please tell me who is going to develop apps for the software which will be discontinued in a year or so time?

considering the above I have given my E6 back to where I bought it form and now I will make my choice between Iphone4 and Galaxy2

shame

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sutomore9999

I was a NOKIA fan too. Was excited to get E6, as N900 did not provide provisioning and I could not connect to my work email. To my huge disappointment, the E6 could not connect to my work email either, having the following error:

Someone else had the same problem that I did, and I hope it gets resolved in the next 48 hours or this phone is back to Amazon where I bought. What a shame. Same settings on my iphone 4 connect flawlessly to me email.....

Please use plain text.
Sage

It's quite obvious that illuminating the light in the D pad alone for notifications is going to be inadequate, even if you make it brighter. As pointed out, the physical design is such that you are never going to get much light leaking through the tiny gaps to be visible in practical situations.

Maybe a software update could have the whole call/end key panel flash as a notification instead.

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

twozero3 wrote:

It's quite obvious that illuminating the light in the D pad alone for notifications is going to be inadequate, even if you make it brighter. As pointed out, the physical design is such that you are never going to get much light leaking through the tiny gaps to be visible in practical situations.

Maybe a software update could have the whole call/end key panel flash as a notification instead.

Good idea, AND Nokia pls allow for the notification to be turned on also for emails! Like you did it on the E72. Not providing this feature on a "biz phone" is a failure as silly as the invisible light issue.....

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I can’t wait anymore. More problems found in E6 (email is not update when using phone for 5-7 days without restart. I missed many important mails) and not many application on Symbian.

So, I bought other android phone instead E6.
Does anyone know how to transfer ‘contact lists’ from nokia E6 to other android phone?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Tjorvens

OK, to all Nokia E6 users - perhaps there's a way out of this problem... please take a look here...

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

Tjorvens wrote:

OK, to all Nokia E6 users - perhaps there's a way out of this problem... please take a look here...

This was already recommended here. I tried it - it doesn't work properly on the E6

Please use plain text.
Contributor
zaki67

[ Edited ]

There is a much easier solution Do Not buy the phone!

If Nokia wanted us to get this phone they would have replied already.

Please use plain text.