Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia E6 questions

Contributor
Moebek
Accepted Solution

Nokia E6 questions

1) Does Nokia E6 browser compress data like Opera Mini? If so by how much in percentage?

2) Is there a way to access skydrive account on Nokia E6? Mobile site is not supported

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Hi Moebek,

opera mini does compress and load webpages a lot faster than the builtin browser. It works great for me on my N8, i find that i don't even use the builtin web browser very often. There is a data counter within opera mini that tells you how much you have saved. For example, my total savings when using opera are only using 597.5mb to the original size of 5.0gb.

As for skydrive, i haven't heard of or seen any applications either by Nokia or by third parties, that support skydrive. I know that the latest Nokia windows phone do support skydrive, however.

Hope this helps.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
E6LB

Yes, Nokia's browser features data compression. Several references can be found online, with "The Nokia Browser compression means end users consume less data by up to 90 percent [...]" being the most enthusiastic claim by Nokia. 

I do prefer Opera Mini or Opera Mobile because I also use Opera Link.

Cheers,

Lars 

Please use plain text.
Sage

The browser on my (Anna) E6 does not have any data compression features.

I prefer to use the Opera Mobile browser. With Opera Mobile you can switch data compression on and off by using the Opera Turbo function. Using Opera Turbo pre-compresses data in a very similar way to Opera Mini but you have a generally more functional browser than Mini.

I have just accessed my Skydrive account via Opera Mobile

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Moebek

that,s the thing, some sites say nokia browser have the compression feature and some say for certain models only. Guess i will download data counter and test them

Opera mini can view files from skydrive unlike nokia browser but you cant upload files
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

to clarify everyone here, Nokia browser only compresses data because it is an application on it's Series40 phones, while the E6 is not a Series40 phone but a symbian^3 device. Therefore opera mini is the main option, the builtin Nokia browser is irrelevant to the question.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Moebek

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply Adrian, decided to go with opera mobile and mini. Any idea on how to use skydrive?

Although not a perfect solution but I found sugarsync which has both clients for desktop and Nokia E6.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

No worries Moebek, you're most welcome.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to use SkyDrive. I currently do not use any cloud storage services, as I am quite content with my files and data etc, but I understand if others have the need. I'm sure if you Google SkyDrive or even search for it on these boards, you will find some information to help you out there. Glad that you found SugarSync, hope it is working well for you.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
casten

i'm having a backlight problem with my E6 when making// receiving calls, the sreen is always black and i have to ask caller's identity most of the time. Help me pliz
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
peter123456

I have the same problem with a black screen when making and receiving calls. Any solutions out there??? It just got worse when I updated the software update. I used to be able to switch it on using the switch on the side of the phone when the call was coming in. Now I can't even do that.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
derp

[ Edited ]

I'd rather stick with Nokia's browser, because :-
1>Opera mini has very very limited ECMA scripting support, and no flash support at all
2>In this modern age of unlimited 3.5G data plans and wireless routers, data compression is pretty much irrelevant unless you don't have 3.5G coverage in your area and you don't have a wireless router at home.
3>Opera mobile, while it does support java scripts, still doesn't support flash on Symbian, and has a somewhat larger RAM footprint compared to the Nokia browser.

It's a matter of personal choice at the end of the day, if Opera mini works for you, so be it. As for me, I use the Nokia browser (though i still have both opera mini and opera mobile installed, they are good browsers as well, but not as good as Nokia \m/ )

Please use plain text.
Contributor
withered68

quick question, i'm planning to get a Nokia E6.

Does the phone indicate the time sent of messages or the time received?

Example, i turn off Nokia E6 at 7AM-10AM. Lets say someone texted around 830AM. When i turn on the phone, then the message comes in, in the message details, does it say: 830AM (which the sender has sent it) or 10AM(which the message entered the phone memory)? im really particular with this because of my work. It sucks that most of the new phones, regardless of the brand, have this attitude when it comes to SMS.

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kushal260388

i hv nokia e6 in which i hv problem of AUTO FLASH LITE ON OFF during usage of fone.

cn any body fine me the solution for it????

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kushal260388

how to update NOKIA E6 FROM ANNA TO BELLAY OS?????

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Have a look HERE and HERE

Please use plain text.