Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia E7 usb port problems

Stoy_on

Nokia E7 usb port problems

I have a black E7, and lately I have found that whenever I plug in a cable to the usb port it sits very loose and will not work properly, I think is has to do with the weird shape, it is recatangular but the charge cable and normal microUSB connector.

Anyway the problem with the usb connector means the phone won't charge/connecto to the computer unless I;

1. Jiggle the usb connector untill it work and GENTELY, ever so gentely put it down on the table

2. Hold the usb cable in the correct possition during the operation.

Anyone have any ideas?

/Stoy

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Stoy_on

I would be worried that microUSB port about to part company from motherboard, which is not unknown but usually blamed upon rough handling by user!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Stoy_on

Re: Nokia E7 USB port problems

Good point, wouldn't want that, I'll see if I can get something to tape to the cable to not have to jiggle it....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Stoy_on

Suggest that you consider taking backup of device imminently with Nokia Suite if you are not in the habit of doing so as may be on borrowed time here.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Stoy_on

I have done so, but will do it again when I get home

Please use plain text.
Advisor
typhoon2000

simply, the micro usb as used by Nokia, Motorola and a few others is simply a terrible and delicate design. The version used on the PS3 and Samsung mobiles is of a much more tougher and durable design.

I had problems enough with my N97 regarding this and sent it back to UK Voda to get the problem fixed, whereby they replaced the socket under contract warranty. This took about a week.

If your phone is under warranty or under a contract warranty it'll be worth getting replaced. But I can now understand why Apple didn't want to sign up to this industry standard, it's simply awful.
Long Live Nokia OS!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
skywalk27

I'm on my second E7, soon to be third because of the incredibly delicate USB connection, and because it needs to be charged every day to acutally use, it wears the connection very easily.

I will however be swapping back to my trusty N97, which lasts 3 days on a charge for same usage.... while waiting for third E97 to reappear!... and then having to reinput all Wifi and other connection setting as "backin up" the handset doesnt actually remember these!!!!

Have a nbice day..

Skywalk17

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RamuRamu7

I have an e7 that develop a usb issue some time back. At first it would disconnect as it wishes from ovi suite. Then was the charging. I would connect the phone to a usb charger and it would start charging after about 2 minutes. Wierd enough is the fact that while it was charging the touch would freeze. Now it wont charge or connect to my laptop. I really love this phone. What could be the problem and any suggestions please I would really appreciate. Im an avid Nokia fan and plan on upgrading to a Lumia 900 or 920.
Please use plain text.
Ordep023

I have had the same problem with my USB port, it would not charge correctly unless I jiggled the cord a bit and set it down. I have been doing this for a while and in doing so the USB port finally broke off . . . A month after the warranty expired, called Nokia and they cannot do anything for me.  I have to send it in to a third party repair shop. 

My advice be careful, it is not built well.  As wilth some of the other posts, I have to agree, it is a design flaw.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bashwarren

i was just told that my E7 is beyond economical repairs, yet it is still under warranty, only a year old now, im basically paying for a phone i cannot use for the next year.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
going2samsung

i have same problem, among other prob caused by Belle upgrade..but those probs i suspect stem from the dodgy crappily designed usb port. as soon as i saw it i thought, hmm planned obsolencense....they have lost me as a customer. im going over to Android and samsung galaxy s...since nokia have abandond open sorce, no point in buying it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
angedoceu12

you should try change the usb port by inserting the usb from your phone onto your pc but a different port on your pc, is not the shape of it that is a problem, seems that your current port has been hacked and sometimes can get locked, so the way around it is to reset your phone and pc, then try inserting the usb cable again if does not work, change port and get an anti virus for your pc and phone, for nokia symbians the re are several at ovi such as kaspersky, avg, norton,etc or just google, you can buy online at any other links or even at pc stores. I hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
angedoceu12

Is not the design. A reset is needed in some devices. if you need any help read my previous reply to the above post and it should do it for you.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
subh_04

i too have the same problem? is their any chance of it getting repaired?
Please use plain text.