Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia E71 driver problem

Advisor

Nokia E71 driver problem

Hello

I am facing E71 driver installation problem in PC SYnc Version 6.8 (Supplied with phone) and 7.0 (Web download)

When I connect my phone, it gives "FATAL ERROR" while installing "NOKIA GSM PHONE USB PHONE PARENT" and it does not get installed. I tried resetting phone too.

Please help. Thanks in advance
kshah
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Nokia E71 driver problem

Is your software version 6.86.9.4 for Nokia Suite? There is an update available.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

There is an update to PC Suite, here is the link;

Version 7.0

http://europe.nokia.com/A4144905
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Same problem here : PC suite OK in bluetooth, Mass storage OK in USB but no possibility of connexion to PC suite in USB with the same ""FATAL ERROR" while installing "NOKIA GSM PHONE USB PHONE PARENT"".
I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled : no way on my XP SP3 PC
Works well in USB with the very same versions of PC suite, Zone Alarm, Antivir on an EEE PC running XP SP2
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Same problem with me, have tried everything I can think of but still have the same fatal error...

help needed! big time!!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

It seems that once you have installed any older version of Nokia PC sync (In m case it was Ver 6.8) then this version Ver 7) do not support or detect phone.

I installed Ver 7 on my desktop, where Nokia PC sync was never installed, there My E71 do get detected.

I tried to use PCSYNC cleaner, but not of any use.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have installed version 6.8 (cd which came with the phone) on my laptop and desktop at home without problems, phone was detected. Then I installed same version with cd on my laptop at work and I'm having the detection problem and fatal error. I've tried every other combination I can think of, including the latest version of pc suite, the cleaner, etc...but still nothing
This is a BIG problem for me because I got this phone to sync with outlook at work and I'm starting to get worried that this might never happen!
Please, could someone give me (us) some assistance/advice?
thank you very much
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Just to check I am going to format my laptop where I am getting error tomorrow and will post results.

I dont think there could be any hardware compatibility problem.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Great, that would help to understand the problem.
I just tried removing SP3, erasing all nokia and pc suite files and registry information, and re-installing from the CD (vers. 6.86) but still get the same problem...
I'm going crazy!!!
I need to get my outlook calendar on this phone in a hurry and there is no bluetooth here either :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

SP3 does not seems to be problem. It seems to be problem of nokia drivers only. Will post tomorrow once I format my laptop.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

After formating hard drive, now my nokia E71 do get detected properly. Means there is problem of old pc sync and cable drivers. SOme how may be old registry entries are not getting deleted properly.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for the info kshah, i'm glad it's working for you but i don't know how to get it working for me, since I can't format this pc (company computer)...
I have already tried eliminating all registry entries related to nokia and pc suite, I ran the pc suite cleaner, i manually deleted all related files, but still it will not detect and install the phone properly.
I'm sure that the problem lies in the connectivity cable drivers but I don't know what else to do...and I desparately need to sync my outlook calendar...

help anybody?

do you think that hard resetting my phone would make any difference?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Just a thought, how about creating virtual machine using either microsoft virtual machine or VMware.

Create XP machine and then install PC suit and sync it. Just a wid thought, might give temporary solution till you get permanent solution.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks, that would actually be a very good idea but unfortuntately I can't install a virtual machine on a comp pc, I don't have that kind of access...

What about the idea of hard resetting the phone?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

07-Aug-2008 11:00 AM
kshah wrote:
After formating hard drive, now my nokia E71 do get detected properly. Means there is problem of old pc sync and cable drivers. SOme how may be old registry entries are not getting deleted properly.

Did yu already reinstall all the softwares and devices you previously had on your laptop before formatting ? After struggling the same way that luketheduke has done, I have the impression that the problem looks more like a conflict with an other USB driver than with an older version of connectivity cable driver. At least, your success after reformatting shows it is not a hardware related issue
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I just uninstalled for the hundreth time all nokia related software and files, and did a completely thorough cleaning of the registry, all temp files, and drivers.
Instead of re-installing nokia pc suite, this time I tried to simply connect the phone and see what happened...
As usual when it got to the GMS Phone USB Parent stuff it stopped, but this time instead of a fatal error, the file dialogue popped up looking for a driver called ccdcmb.sys
I'm starting to think this driver might be the problem...
kshah, could you locate this file on your computer which has now detected the phone and send it to me to try it on mine? If you are willing, I will send you my email by private message, what do you think?
Please use plain text.

I've tried this right now : I have transferred the file from my EEE-PC to my main PC (using the E71 as mass storage by the way :smileyhappy: ) : no luck...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

:smileysad:
this is driving me crazy...nokia really needs to address this issue, these drivers are no good!
Is anyone aware of a valid alternative to pc suite? At least for syncing outlook?
thanks
Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
There is an other (complicated) way : sync Outlook with G Calendar (if you have a Gmail account) and then G calendar with the E71 (see http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20060818_how_to_sync_google_calendar_with_outlook_and_smartpho... and http://www.gcalsync.com/.
If you may install the Outlook plugin on your PC, it should work...

Message Edited by yann on 08-Aug-2008 10:28 AM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thank you very much Yann, I will give this solution a try and post back my success (or lack thereof) :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.