Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia E72: Memory full. Delete or move some da...

Advisor
janpop

Nokia E72: Memory full. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory.

HI All,

I've recently purchased a Nokia E72 phone for business use and after about three days of trouble-free operation it has suddenly run out of space on the phone system drive C:. This is very surprising as I am not aware of installing any apps or generating any content on C: since the last time I verified the available space exceeding 120 MB.

I keep on getting a message "Memory full. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory.", am unable to enter the menu and the phone keeps on rebooting.

I've read a couple of posts from others experiencing this problem on various places on the Internet but no signs of a solution. Does anybody else have the same problem and/or knows the solution?

I would really appreciate any advice you could give me!

Thanks,

Jan

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

Re: Nokia E72: Memory full. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory.

1; Clear Browser cache
2; If you have Opera Mobile, Clear Cache.
3; Go to File Manager and Look in all folders in C: if there is something in "Videos" Sounds" or Images or any other folder Move that to E: (Mem card)
Previous Phones: 6600, 7610, 6230, 6230i, 1100, 1112, N70, N73, N95, N95 8GB, 5800XM, 5230, C5, iPhone 3GS, SE Xperia X10, N900, N8, SE Xperia Arc

Current Phones: Nokia N9, iPhone 4
Please use plain text.
Advisor
janpop

Re: Nokia E72: Memory full. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory

Hi,

and thanks for the tips!

After my first factory reset of this phone I purposely haven't used the phone for nothing but e-mail sync with our corporate IntelliSync server where I can see that only 8 MB of data is carched and thus synced down to the phone. In 3 days of operation, the amount of e-mail could have been close to 15 MB but not more.

I haven't loaded any videos, songs etc. and haven't used the browser in order to isolate this problem.

Whilst last night there was about 190 MB free on C: when I woke up in the morning the phone has been showing 0kB and is back in its rebooting loop.

This looks like a software bug to me and I'm wondering whether others have it, too and might know how to fix it?

Thanks everyone for your help,

Jan

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
coolbelief

"Whilst last night there was about 190 MB free on C: when I woke up in the morning the phone has been showing 0kB and is back in its rebooting loop"

thats strange!

Soft reset might help *#7370#
BACK UP DATA 1ST.
Previous Phones: 6600, 7610, 6230, 6230i, 1100, 1112, N70, N73, N95, N95 8GB, 5800XM, 5230, C5, iPhone 3GS, SE Xperia X10, N900, N8, SE Xperia Arc

Current Phones: Nokia N9, iPhone 4
Please use plain text.
Advisor
janpop

Thanks. I've already done two full resets, after which it always took 1-2 days for the phone to enter this same unusable state. I'm afraid that the problem will come back again after another reset...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kmiller01

I'm sure that you are right about this being a software bug. I have had this problem on my N85 for about a year.

Nokia tech support will not answer the question, they only guide you to reformatting the phone.

If you look in the Utilities->options->memory details->phone memory, you will see that the total memory in use is far greater than the sum of the individual application usage.

If you browse the phone memory on your computer, you will find that there is no accounting for the amount of memory usage reported.

your only option is to do a full backup, reformat the phone and do a full restore. you will find that even though you have technically changed nothing (due to the full restore), that the memory in use magically and dramatically goes down.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
spectrum_sandy

I am facing the same issue with my E55...But no solution to this problem..It is constantly restarting now...Many people are facing this issue...Nokia will have to come up with some kind of solution...not accepted...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheG

We have E72s and E63s pulling mail from our company accounts.

E72s need power cycling at least three times a week - sometimes daily. We constantly see problems sending SMS messages (out of memory). General lock ups and other crashes/failings.

The E63 by comparison is fine - just a bit slower all round.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
janpop

Hi  kmiller01

Thank you for your post. Indeed backing up and restoring the phone contents recuperates the space taken up by the "Other Files" and makes the phone operational again (let's see how long it will last...:-).

Cheers, Jan

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
callydave

Instead of doing a full reset of your phone and settings, have you tried reinstalling the current firmware version for your phone? Just on the off-chance that something didn't quite install properly in the factory?

Hope you get sorted mate,

Dave

Please use plain text.
Advisor
janpop

Hi Dave,

I'm running firmware version 031.023 from 31-Mar-2010, which is presumably the latest one for E72 still at this point in time in August (at least that's what Ovi suggests)....

Jan

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
callydave

Yeah thats the latest alright :smileyhappy:

Try connecting your phone up via the cable provided, back everything up, and re-install the current firmware, then load your stuff back on, time consuming, and a pain in the **bleep** I know, but at this stage, anything is worth a go, which I'm sure you will agree :smileyhappy:

See how it goes, and be sure to report back :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tundru

Hi,

I dont know if you have a solution to your problem. But i found a solution to the problem I had with the memmory filling up. 

Check the sent items and the Drafts items of your mail account. Its supprising how soon this adds up. I managed to recover 120 Mb in drafts and Sent items.

Regards,

Please use plain text.
zidaneleonheart

I have the same problem with my e72, but it's not the internal memory but the used memory in my memory card continue to raise for a time. At first I have 1.2GB free, then suddenly my phone runs very slow, and after recovering from that, I checked my mmc free mem and surprisingly it became 800Mb only, and the problem still continue. Now, I just have 300MB from 730MB. I tried soft and hard format many times but it didn't solved the issue. I tried also to reinstall my firmware but my phone just got disconnected when installing starts. This is the first time I encountered this kind of problem since I used a Nokia with symbian os. What the ****!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

Soft reset, hard reset, and firmware reinstalls all pertain to the phone itself, not to the memory card.  What you need to do is back up everything important on the card itself, and reformat the card.  Within Nokia's File Manager, select the memory card and choose Options -> Memory Card Options -> Format.

If you think reinstalling everything will be a pain, you can connect the phone to a computer in Mass Storage mode (or even better, remove the card if you have a separate card reader) and check the card for errors with a program like Windows' "chkdsk".  I had a similar problem with an 8 GB card that was used only for downloads and data, where every disk operation would take an additional 30 seconds after the progress bar disappeared, making the program in use seem as if it locked up.  Trying to fix the errors didn't work, but reformatting the card did.  Of course, your card could also be damaged, but let's hope not.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kayoumin

First time and last time I buy Nokia Smart (stupid) Phones

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
milibhumi

I could solve the above problem by deleting the drafts and sent items,and inbox messages from my email account in my phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SYED_RAFEEQ

yes i have same problem
Please use plain text.
thebestramesh

Hi, I am using nokia e72 from last month. I have some problem with my phone that whenever I use Internet on my phone browser very time says memory full close applicatio or deleat some datab and its gone closed. Also at same time around 200 mb space free in phone memory. So plz help me what to do ????
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

This is just my experience of "older" phones and memory issues; 

If Opera (mini) is installed, uninstall it.

Restart the phone...reinstall this "critical" application on C.

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.