Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia e72, gmail setup + syncing contacts and ...

myron_khan

Nokia e72, gmail setup + syncing contacts and calendar with gmail

[ Edited ]

My objective was to

1) get my contacts into the phone from this account, as I had on my old windows mobile device

2) set up my gmail account on my new nokia e72

1) getting contacts from gmail into the phone.

Go here:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=147951

and carefully do whatever is instructed.

*This works for calendar also (I assume you will want your google calendar to come into the phone, and sync thereafter. But all-day entries on google become 24 hour entries, modified by your timezone (eg xyz birthday, 15 mar 2010 5.00 am to 16 mar 2010 5.00 am). Otherwise the calendars seem to sync ok therafter (didn't spend much time there).

*This does not work for tasks. (read the google sync instructions carefully for nokia. but not for tasks, or for email bodies (though email headers sync, and you can probably create and send, and delete etc your email on the phone)

*This does not work email either, ie you can see the message headers, but can't see the bodies of emails on the phone.

The explanation for this I found after much digging is that Mail for Exchange on Nokia is actually meant for Microsoft ActiveSync servers, and Google is providing limited sync facilities using this ....system. (correct me if I'm wrong). See the datasheets on Nokia Europe websites about Mail for Exchange.

Over all, a pity, but you can't blame Nokia. As for Google (in whose hands further improvement lies for MFE playing nice with google mail), I hope, and believe they will make things better here (unless they lose their interest in it like they did with google gears).

2)Now getting your email from gmail into your nokia E72: Here Nokia is at fault, and a serious deficiency. I went to email setup in the menu's and started the wizard to create a new account. It seemed to have preconfigured setups for common email providers like gmail, yahoo etc. I started the gmail set up wizard, keyed in my username and password, then waited 5 seconds, and the screen went back to the previous one. This kept repeating, every time I tried. Tried everything: checked internet connectivity (wifi), closed all other apps including the MFE I had set up earlier, switched off and on the phone, everything short of standing on my head. So what works? How do you set up a personal gmail account on your nokia e72? go here:

http://www.techniqx.com/2010/02/workaround-for-configuring-gmail.html

(I paste that text here in case that page is removed:

"The email software in Nokia E72 still has lots of bugs. To configure your Gmail account, it’s not as easy as selecting Gmail and entering the credentials. That simply won’t work as there is a bug. Instead, workaround is to select “Other” and enter a false id like asa@dss.com, this will take you to the next page to select the type. Select “POP/IMAP”. Now, you will get an option to enter your credentials and modify advanced settings. Here change your email id back to xxx@gmail.com and enter the credentials as mentioned here> (the gmail site for imap manual setup):

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78799

")

And you have gmail set up. Quite inelegant process of setting up gmail on this nokia phone, I would say.

Nokia, please iron out the bugs and inconsistencies in your flagship models' primary functions. Otherwise the phone functions very well, the interface is nice and attractive. And while the bugs are still there, please put up the limitations and  the workarounds if any prominently. Nobody expects 100 % perfection.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bozzeglazz

Re: Nokia e72, gmail setup + syncing contacts and calendar with gmail

Hi myron_khan,

I just wanted to thank you for your gmail-setup hints, it worked perfectly.

Really strange that Nokia doesn't fix these errors !!

Take care,

//B

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mwxiao

I setup my gmail on E72 a few days ago. It used to work fine. But today it gets really slow. It takes forever to connect and disconnect. If I delete an email on the phone, it doesn't sync on the server. It is still there next time I open email. So frustrated. Seriously, this is the last Nokia phone I am going to buy.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lisag2224

Hi there

My email has been set up correctly but can anyone tell me how I can sync my Gmail contacts and Gmail calendar on an Nokia E72?

Note: I have also tried to export my Gmail contacts on to a csv file then import them into Nokia PC Suite and it doesn't recognise most of my entries in the csv file.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
motoomunda

I have exactly the same issue. Have to wipe account from E72 and start again.  Then after a couple weeks phone starts to grind to a halt when checking email. Have gone through the manual Gmail setup as described above but now the phone keeps asking which connection to use when checking email?

Do I need to setup something else so that the mailbox is checked automatically without being asked what connection to use?

Nokia please sort this out. You are forcing people to migrate to Android! Don't let a Nokia fan have to move for the sake of a stable email platform. E72 was purchased on the back of it's messaging strengh!

Please use plain text.
norlman

[ Edited ]

First of all i am so glad the new firmware is out, but too bad its still dont solve this problem. Setup mail just dont work.

Secondly, I was hoping for a solutions on this issues, and yet found out there is still alot of bugs even the mail is successfully setup.

This is an business phone, if the mail fuctions dont works for a well known email provider (gmail). Cant imagine if come to coorporate wise.

Nokia please do something. The user dnt wana caught in situations where people asking "why your e-72 cant get through the mail setup?" Beliave us, its really make us looks very bad.

Please use plain text.
Master3000

Nokia e72 is **bleep**. I am very dissapointed. I am using 1. gen iphone which is far better than e72. I would like to setup email client for google Apps but no way on nokia. And this is so called business phone?!

Please use plain text.
iasonasg4

I have had the same problem with setting up my hotmail and yahoo accounts. My E72 takes me back to the start page of the email setup wizard after i typr me email and password in hotmail or yahoo tabs. This is unacceptable. How can E72 be advertised us the ultimate email phone when we have to find work arounds to do the simplest of tasks!!! we cannot even setup our email accounts properly!!! Unacceptable. Nokia MUST fix it with a new software release that will be installed free to all E72 from all its nokia shops.
Please use plain text.
iasonasg4

I have had the same problem with setting up my hotmail and yahoo accounts. My E72 takes me back to the start page of the email setup wizard after i typr me email and password in hotmail or yahoo tabs. This is unacceptable. How can E72 be advertised us the ultimate email phone when we have to find work arounds to do the simplest of tasks!!! we cannot even setup our email accounts properly!!! Unacceptable. Nokia MUST fix it with a new software release that will be installed free to all E72 from all its nokia shops.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sndpks

Symbian S60

To configure IMAP for your Symbian S60 device, just follow these steps:

1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
  2. Select 'Messaging' > 'Options' > 'Settings' > 'E-mail' > 'Mailboxes.'
  3. If you have never set up email on your phone before, select 'Yes' to define a new mailbox. If you already have other mailboxes, select 'Options' and then 'New mailbox.'
  4. Select 'Start' to begin the setup wizard.
  5. Select 'IMAP4' and then 'Next.'
  6. Enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com') as the email address and select 'Next.' Google Apps users, enter your full address in the format 'username@your_domain.com.'
  7. Enter 'imap.gmail.com' as the incoming mail server and select 'Next.'
  8. Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' as the outgoing mail server and select 'Next.'
  9. Select the appropriate access point and then 'Next.'
  10. Enter a descriptive name for the email account mailbox name.
  11. Once your mailbox is set up, select it from the email mailbox settings screen.
  12. Select 'Connection settings' > 'Incoming e-mail.'
  13. Enter your address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') and password.
  14. Select 'SSL/TLS' for your security (ports) and define your port as '993.'
  15. Select 'Back.'
  16. Select 'Outgoing e-mail.'
  17. Enter your email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') and password.
  18. Select 'StartTLS' for your security (ports) and define your port as '587.'
  19. Select 'Back' and change any other settings according to your preferences.
  20. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ArunKuri

I tried the steps given above, still not able to sync mails from Gmail. The mail box has been setup with the above configuration. Can someone help me 

After I updated the firmware I am facing stability problems also. I think I need to roll back to the previous one.........

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ZAHABI

myron_khan, You're the best man!

I was struggling BIG TIME as my mails on gmail stopped coming all of a sudden and i was not able to send as well.

this URL that you posted was quite useful:

http://www.techniqx.com/2010/02/workaround-for-configuring-gmail.html

thanks again, now i can enjoy my lovely e72 again, it's quote a great business tool, i love it.

Regards!

Please use plain text.
Dirk111

I had a number of problems setting up Google Apps with my E72 phone. Mail, Calendar and Tasks were not syncing.

Mail

I have spent far too long setting up google apps to sync properly with my new E72 (latest software installed). It really is a superb phone but if Nokia is not going to fully support integration with Google Apps with a simple app then Android and Blackberry will simply take over for Apps users. It really isn't up to Google to solve this its up to Nokia. Are we going to move from Google Apps or change our phones????

I have gmail and  business google apps accounts and both are now syncing properly with what seems to be pretty good Nokia email software on the phone. This is allowing me to receive, send, view attachments, view sent mail etc. Here are the steps I took from the beginning. Its a repeat of some of the good advice above which helped me on my long journey!

1. Enable IMAP for the google accounts. Couldn't get anything to work otherwise.

2. Follow this instruction https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78887 

3. The inbox should now be working however you now need to map the other folders you want to see on your mobile. While at your inbox go to >settings>mailbox settings>what to sync>folder subscriptions.

4. Click on Gmail and highlight the folders you want to see

5. Go back to your inbox and go to the dragdown list of folders and highlight 'More Folders'. Under 'Gmail' you will find your sent items along with attachments etc. Problem solved. Its not a pretty solution but at this stage like me you just want something that works.

Calendar

This was a nightmare and I am now running a third party app called Googasync which is working fine. In 10 days time I will need to buy this so if someone knows how to setup calendar syncing properly without it please let me know.

Tasks

Googasync will not sync Tasks and I don't know if there is any app out there that will. If someone can help please let me know. Surely this should be pretty simple!?!?!

By the way I mailed Nokia support last Thursday on the above but have not received a reply other than to tell me that Google Apps is 3rd party software and not supported. Nokia needs to wise up.

In summary its a great phone and I've moved from a Blackerry Bold to it but I shouldn't be spending days finding workarounds!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
nj7_

To "myron_khan", thank you!

After all try on E72 to "just" configure a Gmail account, your post save my day!

Great post.

Now, how can Nokia call the E72 a Messaging Device, if it was almost impossible to adjust a single email account on the device!?

On N82, 3 years back, was easy, easy...

Please use plain text.
Anuta7541

Thanks so much for the help!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
peppermech

Been usiing E72 for 11 months. Useless & unreliable are the adjectives for this phone. service guys just return without any repair. I want to break this into 1000 pieces once the warranty is over.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
badchoiceE72

Your Adjectives for this so called business phone as amongst the politest i have thought of. Thankfully i only have six months left before i burn mine. When i got it, it synced with Google calender, one of the main things i wanted a new phone to do. 

But shortly after it stopped syncing. Reading Nokia forums they have no intention of making it easy to sync with Google calender as they have that Ovi calender thing, oh yes, that won't sync to outlook, my desktop schedule manager. 

I have noticed Nokia have stopped their Ovi files service, I assume because most business people use Google Docs. Learn the lesson Nokia, Freedom of choice. My next phone choice will not be Nokia. Blackburry Curve 3g is looking current fave. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
abcdefgh1234

Completely agree, this is my last nokia ever. I have also ensured that atleast 5 of my friends and relatives purchased either blackberry or android phones over nokia. Will need to hit the company where it hurts them the most i guess.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anabanana

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Gmail setup on my E72 has been driving me INSANE.

Thank you so very much!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
cikuku

I agree a 100 per cent. I am doig the same thing and contemplating between android and iphone, being that I am an apple hater! But I hear BBs are boring... so I guess Androis it is!

Please use plain text.