Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Setting WIFI as default connection on E5

e5user

Setting WIFI as default connection on E5

Is there anyway to set an E5 to allow WIFI to be the default connection for all applications? For instance, whenever I connect to the Ovi store it automatically defaults to my carriers 3G service and I can't see how to change it.I would like all my applications to use my WIFI connection whenever it is available by default.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Setting WIFI as default connection on E5

Please don't tell me this is an Orange branded E5 with their "crippleware" firmware as they insist on using Orange network to connect to OVI Suite just to generate revenue.

Otherwise it would be Menu > Ctrl. panel > Settings > Connection > Destinations > Internet - what do you have as Priority 1? If you want to change order of connection, highlight chosen access point > Organise > Change priority > highlight access point in Priority 1 and hit OK and your chosen one will jump to top of the list.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
e5user

Thanks for the advice dude. My WIFI connection is priority 1 but when I want to connect to the Ovi store it still uses Vodafone Live to connect. Are Vodafone the same as 3 and have programmed the phone only to use Vodafone Live when you want to download stuff?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
LegonAnalytics

I have the same problem.  E5 defaults to 3G connection regardless of priority setting.  Is this a bug??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

LegonAnalytics wrote:

I have the same problem.  E5 defaults to 3G connection regardless of priority setting.  Is this a bug??

Whilst you're browsing what happens if you go to Options > Settings > General > Access point - temporarily change to "Always ask"?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rhamill95

aspergerguy is a legend! :smileyhappy: thanks so much! i got the phone today - but could not figure out how to get apps with vodaphonelive! thanks so much - its working now!

thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Ronnielubi

hey dude if u install an application like ebuddy or any software that use internet you have to change the settings in ctrl panel-Data Manager-App.Mgr.-Installed apps. then select the software that you want to change like example EBUDDY messenger you can change it there dude! hope i help even little bit. . . 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
barclley

[ Edited ]

Worked for me, couldn connect via WiFi before this solution.. TY!

thank you aspergerguy

@aspergerguy

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
igor_bozovic

thank you,

Please use plain text.
sanyabhogal14

i've been facing the same problem.. even though my priority 1 is set to wlan, the nokia ovi app tends to connect through the internet..

one more thing.. i'm using a prepaid service, even after my balance becomes 0.00, i get messages like "Dear customer your data usage :Cost Rs 2.20 , Volume: so and so, Duration: so and so".... :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@sanyabhogal14

Sorry not clear whether this is a network branded device, in which case you may not be able to change access point that Ovi Store is using from it's default.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ranya12345

Is there anyway to set an E5 to allow WIFI to be the default connection for all applications? For instance, whenever I connect to the Ovi store it automatically defaults to my carriers 3G service and I can't see how to change it.I would like all my applications to use my WIFI connection whenever it is available by default.

I want wify always .The data  from du connection  alaways in offline.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

ranya12345, no this is not possible, because every app uses its own user-interface how to deal with access points and destinations. However, for the Ovi Store is one of the most advanced onces, for those you have to change the default connection: Menu » Settings » Connectivity » Settings » Network destinations » Options » Default connection » for example Internet. Now, in that destination, your Wi-Fi access point must be above your 3G connection (Options » Change priority). Did that help?

Please use plain text.