Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Unzipping .rar files in E71 or other S60v3FP1 ...

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

Unzipping .rar files in E71 or other S60v3FP1 phones.

Hi Folks,

Which software I need to install in my E71 to "unzip" .rar files?

Thank you,
BK76
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
friedbrains

Re: Unzipping .rar files in E71 or other S60v3FP1 phones.

hmm, havent tried unzipping rar files in any S60 3rd, but i think rar files are not supported by symbian...
Please use plain text.
Sage

They can be extracted and installed through X-plore. Are you downloading through your phone or transferring by PC?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks. BTW, I found some java app in some Russian web site which claims to extract contents of rar file. However, when I tried this app, found it not to be very reliable. Hence, need to find a native Symbian app which can handle rar files.

Regards,
BK76
Please use plain text.
Sage

What do you want Java **bleep** for? Go to www.lonelycatgames.com and download X-plore. Do you have Opera on your phone?
Please use plain text.
Sage

Getting ahead of myself, if you're using PC you don't need Opera, if you're downloading OTA you do.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
I have downloaded this app from X-plore using Opera in the phone, and managed to extract the contents of the rar file.

Will get rid of the Java app :smileyhappy:

Thanks a lot, Sizzers.

May be I am asking for too much here,but let me ask anyways are there any other apps which could be doing this?

Regards,
BK76.

Message Edited by bk76 on 09-Aug-2008 02:08 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage

There are but don't ask me which ones! Common consent that I have elsewhere is that X-plore is the best option. Best S60 tool EVER!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
Thanks again, Sizzers. I will stick to X-plore for now.

Message Edited by bk76 on 09-Aug-2008 02:20 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Some more trouble! Got a mail with rar file as attachment. In the mail client, i am not able to save this file to the memory, hence there seems to be no way I can open this using X-plore! Any solution or work around for this?

Thanks in advance!

BK76
Please use plain text.
Sage

Log in to your email through Opera and see if you can save it to a file to extract it that way.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
Some more update.. found one method which can possibly allow me to save rar files. It is explained in the below link.

http://symbianwebblog.wordpress.com/2008/03/20/hot-download-every-file-format-with-the-s60-browser/

This will force me to buy Coreplayer though, hence not very keen!! Any other ideas?

Sizzers, I can use opera, but needed some solution for native mail client.

Regards,
BK76.

Message Edited by bk76 on 09-Aug-2008 02:52 PM

Message Edited by bk76 on 09-Aug-2008 02:54 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage

Very rarely have rar files and never in an attachment. Basic guess would be that it's not possible but what's the big problem through Opera? Only way I could see doing this through the client would be to hack your phone and extract the file through the Messages folder, but other people may have other suggestions.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
But in my company rar files are doing the rounds, as winrar has been provided as a standard installation.

To wrap up, let me state the following (assuming no tweaks or hacks are done):

One can download rar files(and may be other unrecognised file formats) using the following apps:
1. Mail for Exchange
2. Opera browser
3. Nokia Email Service Client app (available in nokia beta labs)

One can NOT download rar files(and may be other unrecognised file formats) using the following apps:
1. Native S60 Browser
2. Native mail client

Once you have downloaded the rar file, one will need to open X-plore and extract the contents!!

Regards,
BK76.

Message Edited by bk76 on 10-Aug-2008 05:41 AM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aeneimia271

Dude This works great...x-plore...never need to repack the rars anyway... thanks..

Please use plain text.