Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: What issues persist on E72 (post 031.023)?

niles00

What issues persist on E72 (post 031.023)?

[ Edited ]

I'm looking seriously at getting an E72 but have heard some troubling things about them, particularly regarding system speed and stability. Nokia have released 031.023 and apparently corrects many of these, however I've also read that functionality gaps remain in the firmware and, disturbingly, the patch even creates more. I'm curious about how far it goes.

Could any E72 owners with 031.023 please let me know which issues are successfully corrected by the update, which issues have persisted and which, if any, have come into existence since (and if you've hard reset to try and fix them)?

Of particular interest is general system responsiveness and speeds (hang times between menus, scrolling lag, etc), system stability (any crashing, resetting and general instability) and M4E integration.

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
callydave

The main problem with the phone in my eyes, is the lack of RAM that it actually needs. Watchig videos that I have recorded is a joke, as the sound is usually fine, but the video is terrible, skipping and freezing constantly.

For me, that seems to be the only problem with the phone, but I'm sure some of the other guys on here will gladly give you a few other issues with the phone, but you have to remember, that everybody is affected in different ways, depending on what they are using the phone for, so let that put you off :-) like for example, I said above about the video issue, it bothers me, as its a feature I might want to use once in a while, but its not vital, as I hardly ever use the phone as a camcorder.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Here are other issues post fw 031.023 :

=> IMAP mailbox is not stable and does not sync once number of emails goes beyond a limit. Big emails with attachments do not open.

=> Overall stability issues with Nokia Messaging.

Please use plain text.
Sage
shailendraraj

email access using email client is not good.

takes hell lot of time to downlaod even 3kb of attachment.

Please use plain text.
niles00

A lot of angst seems to be centered on the Nokia messaging client. Is it possible to integrate am exchange inbox without using a Nokia server?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ozidug

I've stopped using it as a smartphone, although I've now got a workaround to the "Invalid Server Name" problem by using Google's DNS servers, so I can now collect my business mail.

Listening to podcasts is an eccentric experience - it pauses for a few seconds randomly, maybe two or three times per half-hour podcast. But music plays OK - after it re-indexes the database every time I start to play something. I foolishly replaced the 2Gb uSD card with a 16Gb one, so indexing takes forever.

The internet stuff works fine - Twitter with Gravity is good and the web browser is a bit of a struggle on a small screen, but that's what you get with a device like this. And the keyboard etc is fine.

So as a messaging device, it's ok. I don't get too many hangs - maybe one every few days, so I just remove the battery and re-insert it. Which is easier than ever because the batttery cover comes off at a light touch, even when I don't want it to. But I haven't lost it yet.

YMMV. The E72 is a messaging phone which, in an emergency can act as a smartphone. Rather less than I expected, I'm afraid. Expensive, though, for what it does. I'm going to have a close look at the C3 if I want to replace it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
shailendraraj

If you are woking over microsoft exchange server then u can go for the Nokia E72.

MFE client of nokia E72 have nothing to take with NMS it is separate entity. No exchange credential are being sent ove NMS as MFE is separate entity and it works directly with exchange server.There is no middleware in between in excahnge server and mobile.

regards

if this helped u kindly click green star

http://enterprisenokia.blogspot.com

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sagarwadhwa1

[ Edited ]

@ svenks : use hard reset after taking a backup on memory card, and then restore after the hard reset, this issue is then resolved.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sagarwadhwa1

i have been having 2 major problems, first, my phone is always low on available ram so i cant multitask with demanding applications(opera mobile 10). Second, it doesnt recognise the wifi networks as the internet access point (i've even hard reset the phone still no luck), due to this, some applications are having problems like nimbuzz, youtube etc...

Please use plain text.
Sanjeev_1969

One Simple answer i recommended you pass it to others as well. E72 is not a phone to opt for, go for Android based phones.

Better OS, Better Applications, Better support and a well known organization.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
slasher28

i just updated the firmware of my e72...now i cant play fm radio....=(..why does nokia release updates like this?..dont they try it first before giving it out to the public?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
karancricketer

My E 72's Log list ( Redialled, missed calls, received calls list) keeps self-destructing every 3 days. Nokia is simply loosing out all its trust it built.

IF this is how it goes,Nokia will be History !

Please use plain text.
Advisor
karancricketer

Responsiveness of this phone is worse than E 71 ... try typing fast the phone doesnt register one after the other keypresses !!....

eg.

Write "AM" quickly.... the my E 71 was fast enough to recognize this. But the E-72 nly ends up writing "A" and "M" doesnt get typed.

Its a useless phone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
asez73

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I experiment some stability problems listed rapidly here:

1-GPS: loses quite often the GPS signal and stop Maps application after a few times getting lost, this happens some days, not others....

2-Email works so, so... This weeks it has begun to ask for passwords of my gmail and yahoo accounts without any reasons, last time it happened I had to remove all mail boxes, recreate them and then use a tremendous procedure to make it sync my gmail contacts and calendar. All of that creates multiple copies of my contacts and appointments (dozens, sometimes thousands....). In fact it creates copies as long as it doesn't successfully sync every thing and then it keeps syncing all the copies with all the sources (E72, gmail, gcalendar, ovi). It happens every other month. THIS IS VERY VERY ANNOYING and non professional.

3-random reboots : once a week

4-battery life is no more than 2 days without wifi but with Bluetooth and 3G....

5-It keeps finding some contacts with conflicts but self solve it almost every day! There is usually no reason for that (I did not changed anything about these particular contacts). From time to time, I have to hand solve some of those conflicts.

6-the gps search function is not reliable: it needs to be questioned on line and doesn't find anything if you don't ask for words in the same order: quite a problem when you search in a non English language.

7-the screen resolution and size are more or less inappropriate with some graphics in the maps application, ovi store.

8-loading html mails is so slow that I prefer not to do it: again a basic counter functionality with the so claimed "Mail machine" marketing position.

9-some warning message, usually displayed for a few seconds, vanish from the screen before I can just unlock the screen saver: they are not stored anywhere, you just should keep permanently an eye on that screen guy. Usually those are the ones that requires some real care from you.

10-Some warning messages reflecting just a loss of 3G connection (quite usual for a gps in a tunnel for instance or just driving on a motorway in the countryside) do need some confirm action from you while they could very well be vanishing after a few seconds: in fact this right the opposite from point 9: no delay can be set off and you do not have a "do not ask me again" setup. Neither a "keep a log for that" setup...

11-Ovi or so (I do not even care any more) keeps creating contacts named "Unknown". They are the sole ones to do so! No other supplier ever dare to modify the data from its customers, Nokia does!!!

12-Ovi reformats your addresses (postal ones) for a non standard manner. That makes it a mess within each contact. See point 11 above for my opinion

13-Ovi limits the number of emails addresses per contact: you were not lucky, now you are cursed.

14-The roughly one thousand contacts par phone is rapidly reached with the sync problems at points 2, 5, 11, 12, 13 happen. By the end, I think, they have never had any professional use of their phones...

15-battery life with GPS is 2 hours or so: don't use it if not in car with their power cable

16-Geotagging works every other day: you can not use simultaneously nokia maps and geotagging for photos or Endomundo for instance. It gives random positioning in any application.

This is a short list but it ruins any serious use of this machine: what works one day cease to function the other day, what is important to you is not to them.

Obviously, the hardware is correct. The software is ruined by no testing before broadcast : I am doing a tremendous effort for not insulting Nokia about this!!!!!!!!!

To compare, I had absolutely no problems with gcal, gmail, contacts (800 and more) and so on from my htc windowsmobile 6.5 phone. Even the battery life was reasonably good and highly comparable if not better!

All in all, I think my next machine will be an android one: I tend to ban definitely companies not doing their job!

So goes life, a darwinian selection is my hope!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I am using MFE and cannot see all my folders. Been in touch with Nokia Support Centre for Sweden and they say I should be able to see all, as long as they are under my Inbox in the hierarchy, which I don't.

I have tried to upgrade from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007, which did not solve the problem.

I also tried to upgrade firmware to solve the above mentioned issues. After upgrade the telephone did not start. Sent to repair centre and the phone still freezes. Back to repair for the second time. Have waited 22 days plus, but still in repair.

Please use plain text.
citytrader

Problem with altitude!!

When I'm on a plane or in Mexico in DF (2400 mts of altitude) the navi button works bad and the same happens with the key "5" when you play games. On the plane is imposible to play games when you need to push the navi key because it work randomly.

Came on Nokia resolve the problem of the altitude!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Alex_C

Re: Problem with altitude!!

It's not only the Nokia E72 device that has problems with altitude. Most electronic devices will not work as intended while above 1500m. For example on a flight from Romania to Germany I powered on my laptop at cruise altitude (10.000m) just to notice that one third of the keys were not working at all. I don't really blame them if there are issues at high altitude as long as I can rely on the phone while grounded.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Munish_Singh

Issues I am facing -

1. Messagin service is not reliable, some time it works and some time it does not download

2. HANG - its pain, many time after call is over it hangs. Also after it hangs it does not switch off and I need to remove battery and thyen place again

3. Its pain.... I should ahve gone for black berry

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: Problem with altitude!!

[ Edited ]

Just curious, is it allowed to use cellphone on a flight? I was trying out the GPS while on a flight once and there was once when the GPS was able to get a lock (was sort of surprised that the E72's GPS worked while in flight), although the stewardess then saw me using the phone and told me to turn off electronic devices, which includes the E72 cellphone. :smileysad:

In one of the posts above, someone mentioned using GPS nets him around 2 hours+ battery life only.

In my case, I did try turning on the GPS feature for about 6 hours straight (from a full charge the night before) - the E72 wasn't used for anything else during the same time (no 3G nor wifi) except GPS was always on.  I think after 6 straight hours of GPS Map being always ON, the battery life got down to nearly half. (about 3 or 4 bars left from the full 7 bars full charge the night before).

Please use plain text.
Stauntz

[ Edited ]

callydave wrote:

"Watching videos that I have recorded is a joke, as the sound is usually fine, but the video is terrible, skipping and freezing constantly."

Hi,

not sure if you've seen this post since August but it might help you with the video problem you mentioned.

All the best                :smileyhappy:

/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/E72-camera-problems/m-p/605755/highlight/true#M57662

Please use plain text.