Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: caller group ringtones for 9300i

Advisor

caller group ringtones for 9300i

In most phones now a days you can separate incoming phonecalls by giving separate numbers/callers different ringtones. I was extremely surprised to note that this business-oriented phone doesn't seem to have that possibility. Is there any way to make this manually? I mean when in a meeting and wanting still to hear if say your secretary calls about something important yet don't want to get calls from any one else, how to do this on 9300i is beyond me. If anyone has an idea how to resolve this issue I would very much appreciate it.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
rich

Hi

Can do this a number of ways - or at least on the 9500 you can.

Either go to a contact and press Menu, Option Card and the Ringing Tone... to set and individual one.

Or go to contacts press Menu then 'New Group' add those you wish to be part of the group.

For either then in Profile, you set personal settings on, and/or 'Under the 'Play for' tab you list the groups who you would get a paricular tone.

Mind you I can't find way to set different tones at the 'Group' level.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Heya! Thanks a ton for this one, you just made someone very happy! The same system seems to work on the 9300i as well, so as usual, all's well that ends oh so well.
Please use plain text.

I gave Rich's suggestion a try. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for me. I do the following:

1a. For a Contact, I set a personal ringtone.
1b. In the Profile, I go to Personal tone and set it to on
Result: The Profiles ringtone is used regardless of what the personal ringtone is.

2a. Same as 1a and 1b above
2b. Add Contact to a group
2c. In the Profile, I go the the Play For tab and change the following seetings:
Play Ringing Tone is set to User Defined, otherwise I get the same result as above.
In Defined group the value can be either yes or no with the same unhappy result.
Result: No phone calls ring at all. They come through. I see them flashing on screen, but nothing rings; nothing in the group or outside the group rings.

Is this a handset issue? Or has my provider hobbled this feature with their SIM/net-lock mechanism?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

My settings (the only ones I have changed) were after opening a contact to press menu and choose personal ringing tone, and after the personal ringtone worked nicely. I checked the personal tone, and it was set to "on" as is the case for you. Try putting a mp3 tune to your phone's memory (not the extended memory card) and choosing that as your ringtone, just to check if the fault is in having to have the tone in a different memory place (just a thought (-: )

The ringing tone setting for "play for" is set to have the default all calls ring (my user interphase is in another language, so some terminology might be wrong, sorry) and so the issue seems to be due to the locked sim-card, and as such you might want to contact the technical support for your phone operator. I wouldn't know, because in our country only 3G-phones are legally allowed to be sold with locked sim-cards and as such these phones definately don't have this problem.
Please use plain text.

Seem to have found the problem. Part of the problem was between the keyboard and the chair.

The technical part of the problem involved the SIM, but not related at all to a SIM-lock issue.

I had some numbers stored on my SIM. Those numbers were recognized first, before any search of the contact database. The SIM numbers don't have the option of personal ringtones.

Another problem was the same phone number was stored in multiple contacts. For example, my home fixed-line/landline number is stored in My Personal Card and my wife's contact card. The handset can't resolve this kind of ambiguity, so it defaults to normal caller-ID and no personal ringtones.

So, the good news is, I am able to use personal ringtones. I think I've figured out why I got no ringing when I was using the groups option. It seems that only those numbers/contacts associated with a group will ring the profile's default ringtone. All other numbers (including those not in the contact list) will not ring at all. At first this didn't make sense. Then I realized I was trying to use groups in the "general" profile. In the "meeting" or "silent" profiles, I can understand why you would want only certain calls to ring and all other to remain quiet.

Thanks for the tips! :-)
Please use plain text.