Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: continuously growing "Other files" any remedy ...

Professor
amblors

Re: continuously growing "Other files" any remedy yet in E75

av given up hope on this issue been resolved. people had complained about it long before i did still no solution. this fone is off the nokia online store less than 18mths after release. they dont really care about it as its not a money spinning commodity. Why would i get this kinda service and still want to stick around? the updates so far only complicates things. the latest one doesnt tackle this issue.not looking forward to updating before i wreck an already fragile OS. the only update i need for this device is the one that tackles the OTHER FILES issue.
Please use plain text.
G_manSWE

[ Edited ]

amblors wrote:
av given up hope on this issue been resolved. people had complained about it long before i did still no solution. this fone is off the nokia online store less than 18mths after release. they dont really care about it as its not a money spinning commodity. Why would i get this kinda service and still want to stick around? the updates so far only complicates things. the latest one doesnt tackle this issue.not looking forward to updating before i wreck an already fragile OS. the only update i need for this device is the one that tackles the OTHER FILES issue.

Download and install X-plore. The "file-explorer" that comes with your nokia phone can only be descibed as cr*p. X-plore gives you the chance of seeing all the files on your phone. And belive me... there are lots of them! Unfortunately though I can't say I've found a single "mega-file" that causes all of these "other files-"problems.

I have exactly the same kind of problem as many of you. I'm basicly running my E75 with only the apps that comes with the phone so whatever is filling up its system memory it is a program with a nokia-label on in. I don't belive MfE is the villian in this case - since I'm not using it!

Every time I "reboot" my phone I get a message that it is low on memory. I only have 12 mb free when the internet-cashe is cleared. "Other files" takes up 40 mb.

I like the design and many of the featuers on the E75. However the man in charge of the software in this phone should have a Nokian boot of the biggest size ever made up his rear end. I've had tons of problems with its software. For instance, right now I just can't "upgrade" to firmware v211.12.01. Neither PC-suite nor OVI-suite (what moron released that program?) can install it on my phone - and it doesn't say why!? So where in the world should an average nokian-customer start searching for a solution? I've for instance disabled the firewalls in my internetconnection but it didn't help one bit. However I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this firmware-upgrade-problem is caused by the low memory problem.

Please bare in mind that I'm not the kind of guy that installs tons of stuff on my phone. In this case my "installment-of-apps-activity" can only be described as less then the average user. And when I do install stuff I always try and install in on the memory card.

And yes. I have done a reset on the phone and tried upgradeing via iwo different computers. it didn't help one bit.

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

nice write up you have tthere, i just wont bother with upgradin coz for all i know it would cause more problems.
Someone recommend a nokia staff using the fone and installing a couple of apps i.e. using it like a normal user would, since that proposal was made, i have heard from LAITOS (the guy that was concerned about this issue) on this thread.av got about 13MB free, i may just unstill ovi contacts coz i dont use it to get an additional 4meg, but still doesnt solve the otherfiles problem.
we've been left in the dark and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. a situation whereby nokia help centre would advise you to do a hard reset? datz so uncool.
i guess we're stuck and nokia wants us to purchase another device, datz probably the idea and a funny one at that considering at the time of purchase, this fone was retailing for 335pounds on the nokia UK website and there is no fix for this problem?????????????????????????????/
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jurriaanvm

Laitos, can you please respond and say if the other files problem is still being examined?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jurriaanvm

Bump

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jurriaanvm

Will continue bumping this thread untill Laitos or some other Nokia representative will reply, because the indifference of Nokia to it´s E75 users is a freaking shame.

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

i dont think you'll get a reply mate. the 'silence' is Nokia's way of saying, go get another Nokia fone coz we have the N8 in line even if it has problems we know ur a hardcore nokia fan.
all i can advice you is that you uninstall an app like ovi contacts, when my memory runs low i would do that.
They said they'll need work on a fone that has the problem. when i proposed they use one E75 from their store and try it out coz it would definitely get the same problem if used even for 2weeks i didnt hear from anyone again.
That was the last time i heard from any nokia staff.
I tried out an andriod device some days back and the browser is magnificient. When this device frustrates me enough, that's the way i'll go.
Anyways kip trying and letz see if nokia answers.
Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

Hi guys, I  haven't forgotten about you, but I really haven't had any time to push this forward either :smileysad: I returned from my holiday a bit over two weeks ago, sorted out things which were left hanging during my holiday and then I had to leave on a business trip on which I still am...  

I should be back at the office on next week and this is going to be the first thing I'll check, so hold your horses for a week :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

Thanks Laitos for the love you've shown. we'll keep our fingers crossed and wait.
have a nice trip.

thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jurriaanvm

Great, thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jurriaanvm

Hi Laitos,

any news?

Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

Well, at least I have some news. Situation is still the same as it was and no actual bug in the SW has been found, so it seems like that there's not much that can be done.

Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

In case it helps, I don't have the reported problem with my E75. My free space on C: remains constant (at about 49MB), and only decreases when I use the web browser without emptying the cache, which makes perfect sense.

I use Nokia Email (with Nokia Messaging), and I do regularly empty the deleted messages (don't know if this is automatic, but I do it manually). I don't use Mail for Exchange though, which as far as I know may be part of the "problem".

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

Its actually refreshing to know there is an E75 without this problem. but i do know as from other threads that this problem is not peculiar to the E75 although its more prevalent with it. owners of models like E52 and E55 have complained of the same problem.
i did try using Nokia Messaging, and it does use up phone memory, so except you delete ALL your emails regularly in addition to emptying your cache then your phone's free memory wont be stagnant at 49MB.
but am glad to hear there's an E75 device without this problem.
I have had to uninstall ovi contacts as i dont use it much, i have had to resort to using the phone's email rather than Nokia email.
bottom line: NOKIA E75 owners have resorted to inconvenience themselves after purchasing a device that was flaunted by Nokia as a top business phone.
Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

I guess the only way to know exactly what's going on on the C: drive of our phones would be to hack it so we are able to see all the files and make some sort of analysis..

In my opinion, the "other files" are simply that: files that are neither contacts, calendar, SIS applications, etc.

This includes configuration/resource settings of many application, plus the loads of things that are copied from the firmware to the C: drive after a hard reset (presumably, I cannot confirm this, but I suppose there's some kind of copy-on-write going on).

One thing that would help would be reducing the number of applications that *require* to be installed on the C: drive (like OVI maps, the Python upgrade, QT, etc.). Those are heavy applications which should naturally go to the memory card, given the free space we have on the E75.

I know/think that this requirement of some applications is due to operating system constraints, but perhaps this could be removed/improved with a firmware update some day?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jurriaanvm

Bump for laitos

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jurriaanvm

bump

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Elise111S

Using x-plore - free download from Symbian downloads - found a file in logs>Common Time that was 50Mb. Deleted it. I'll let you know if everything else still works!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

Re: continously growing "Other files" any remedy yet in E75

let us know ok. If it do
es work then culd u pls detail for ur how. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Elise111S

Re: continously growing "Other files" any remedy yet in E75

Seems fine

Go to www.symbian-freeware on your phone browser. Search for x-plore. Download and install on memory card (assuming you have one). Easy app to use - just go through all files on the c: drive and look for large ones. As I said before I found a 50Mb log file which I deleted.

Please use plain text.