Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: if anyone knows how to connect e7 with linux l...

Contributor
mahmoudeg
Accepted Solution

if anyone knows how to connect e7 with linux let me know pls.

sorry guys, it seems that the problems will never end,i just have a problem with my computer because i'm using linux and can't connect it with my phone .which is really not good for nokia,i hope they read what we write because from now on i'll not recomend nokia to any of my friends who wants to get nokia phons,if the company we are using and love won't give us what we are looking for or need then there are no need to have her products,does not deserve us as clients.one can destroy 10. that's what i believe.

Please use plain text.

Re: if anyone knows how to connect e7 with linux let me know pls.

Using Suse 11.4 (KDE) onnected the phone with USB. Select  "Mass Storage" manually. My E7 connected automatically via "OVI Ovi suite, that wont make it.

Best regards, Thomas

TKlinker
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mahmoudeg

if anyone knows how to connect e7 with linux let me know pls.

thanks for your answer buut i can't have ovi suite on my computer,linux doesn't open it ,that's why i can't connect  it with my computer.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

What is it that you're trying to do?  Access the memory card?  Perform tethered Internet?  Something else?  Which build and version of Linux are you using?  Are you trying to connect with USB or Bluetooth?  I am using Ubuntu 10.04.

While it's true that some Ovi Suite functionality won't be available, you don't need Ovi Suite for everything.  As ThomasMcCoy suggested, if you simply want to access the memory card, select "Mass Storage" from the menu that appears when you connect the phone (I use USB and have never tried Bluetooth), and the card will appear to Linux like any USB thumb drive.  If that doesn't help, please give us more details.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mahmoudeg

well, thanks for replying,but what i'm trying to do is : download nokia ovi suite to my computer ,that's the first step, sec,. step is connect my mobile to the computer and backup files, transfer music,photos and so on , but i can't do all this bec nokia ovi suite works with exl. and linux ubonto can't open the file or support it, which means when i download nokia ovi suite does not work at all.and to be honest with u guys i'm not an export in that.thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

Nokia's Ovi Suite (etc.) is as incompatible with Linux as diesel fuel in a petrol car, so let that idea go.  But there are Linux solutions.  For me, I have two 8 GB memory cards, both nearly full with mp3's, and all those songs were installed to the cards using drag-and-drop.  You don't necessarily need a software program, just Mass Storage mode.  I made a folder called "Music" in the root area of the card and moved all the band/singer folders (with individual album folders inside) there.  The Music Player should find them, or manually refresh the database.  The same thing should work for pictures, although there may be some differences between your E7 and my E73.

As for the other functionality, I did a few web searches and found several "Suite" programs like Wammu, Xgnokki, and Nokuntu.  Search these forums for "Ubuntu" and you will find many other similar discussions.  /t5/PC-and-Mac-Software/Nokia-PC-Suite-Ubuntu/td-p/247373 is the one that got me started.  Wammu and Xgnokki should both be available through the Ubuntu Software Center (Applications ->  Ubuntu Software Center, unless they changed the menu layout).  Nokuntu looks really interesting, but you have to get it separately from http://sourceforge.net/projects/nokuntu/ .

Embarrassingly, I have never used any of these programs, so you will have to experiment to see what works.  You won't have full Ovi Suite support, like firmware installs and maps downloads, but it's something.  If you realize that most Linux programmers are university students, or people like you and me, writing software for fun, I think this is quite acceptable.  Not to mention that large companies like Nokia aren't always forthcoming about how their own software works.  Linux can be a chaotic OS, so take it slowly don't expect everything to work as smoothly as commercial software.  If you have specific questions about programs like Wammu, most have their own web site and support system (i.e. http://wammu.eu/support/ ), or you could visit the Ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org/ .  Or you could follow-up here. :smileyhappy:  I hope that helps!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mahmoudeg

thanks for your amazing answer.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
troony

It's real easy!!!!!!

connect the E-7, then watch for the info top left of phone screen - when it displays 'usb connected' tap it and a menu will appear, select mass storage and you're in! next time you connect this will all happen automatically.

As I said, it's real easy. I read all the same stuff as you saying that it wasn't possible with linux / ubuntu. don't believe all that!!! Ubuntu just deals with it, the only thing is that it doesn't always tell you that it's got it covered!

bye :-)

Please use plain text.