Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: nokia e72 push mail not working plus internet ...

Advisor
jmohit
Accepted Solution

nokia e72 push mail not working plus internet connectivity icon remains always on the screen

i bought nokia e72 yesterday for its free push mail. then i set up my yahoo and gmail account on it. but first problem is that its not working untill i manually sync it and the second problem is my internet connectivity icon always remain on the topleft corner of the screen.. plsease help me out with my problem....this is really annoying.

many thanks

Manny Thnanx
Mohit Jain
Please use plain text.
Sage
vijayt

Re: nokia e72 push mail not working plus internet connectivity icon remains always on the screen

please check the time interval in which you wanna sync the mails :smileywink:

If this post helped... Add some kudos!! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

Re: nokia e72 push mail not working plus internet connectivity icon remains always on the screen

First of all, are you using the Nokia Messaging service? (did you accept the TOS when setting up the e-mail accounts?).

If NOT, then you don't get "push" (IMAP idle) mail, but only polling.

If YES, then you need to check the account settings - when to synchronize - and activate the "synchronize new updates" option (this is how they call the "push").

Once you activate that, you will get your e-mails as soon as they arrive on your e-mail server (or, more correctly, as soon as the Nokia Messaging server gets the e-mails off your e-mail server).

Of course having the push option ON means that you will have a permanent connection in the synchronization period (e.g. between 08:00 and 17:00, or whatever you set it to).

Without a connection ("connectivity icon") there is no way your phone can be notified of new e-mails.

If you don't want the permanent connection, then you need to either (1) change the "when" settings and uncheck the "synchronize new updates" option and set-up a polling interval; or (2) remove your accounts and set them up again, but this time declining the TOS, so you can use the non-Nokia Messaging e-mail client (without IMAP idle support), thus bypassing the Nokia Messaging server.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jmohit

first of all, yes i am using the Nokia Messaging service and what  tos is i dont know, but i have accept all the term and conditions of nokia

secondally i have also selected synchronize new updates under the account settings.

and i am agreewith you that Without a connection there is no way your phone can be notified of new e-mails but my question is what is "push mail" then i.e. nokia gets my email and sent it back to me than it check for the connectivity option set in the setting and mail get delivered. i think thats the right procedure....

By the thank you so much for your very quick reply

Mohit Jain

Manny Thnanx
Mohit Jain
Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

Yup, by TOS I meant terms-of-service :smileyhappy:

As far as I know the way it works is that (1) your phone maintains a connection with (one of the) Nokia servers, so that as soon as the Nokia server has anything to say (e.g. "new e-mail"), your phone gets it; and (2) the Nokia servers fetch your e-mails so that (1) can work.

Now, I don't know how (2) works. In theory the Nokia server should act like an IMAP client, and should be using IDLE in order to fetch the e-mails as soon as the server gets them.

I don't use Nokia Messaging anymore (I now prefer Profimail on my E75), but for some time I did research a bit on that topic, and noticed that the Nokia server was making an IMAP connection to my e-mails server (fastmail.fm) every 15min, i.e. not keeping it open permanently using IDLE. It may be that during those 15min sessions IDLE was used, and then the Nokia server simply decided to close and re-open the connection. That may sound illogical, but perhaps it's more reliable this way.

In any case, I was getting my e-mails on the phone instantly, i.e. the reconnection every 15min had no impact on the actual push delivery.

Apparently there are many people having problems with Nokia Messaging. I don't know if Gmail or Yahoo allow you to see a connection log, but if they do, please have a look and see if and how often a server from Nokia/Finland is connecting to your IMAP server.

Also, I would just in case log on on email.nokia.com and make sure that your account is active (the E72 should give you a lifetime subscription, but please double check).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jmohit

thanx man it working. it pushing emails now within 5 min and my account is active too.

one last question can i change my default email account like whenever i press messaging button on my phone it opens "yahoo! mail" i.e. the nokia messaging account. if i have to open gmail with that, then what...and for that i have changed my primary account to gmail but thats not working...is there really any way..or can i change my nokia messaging username or email address that i use to login.

Manny Thnanx
Mohit Jain
Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

From the experience I had, the behaviour of the e-mail key was a bit confusing. Sometimes it would take me to the main screen of the messaging app, where I could see all the accounts, etc. but other times it would go directly to the last used account.

Please use plain text.