Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: what is it Seconupdater?

sharonx

what is it Seconupdater?

[ Edited ]

after i connect my phone for the first tume to the OVI suit it tells me to install on my device(E72-2)

i google it and some say is malware is it true? or is safe to install it?

OH AND BTW i checked my device is not Fake

he is made in finland :smileyhappy: and all work fine and more!

GOOD NIGHT FROM ISRAEL!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

I'm afraid you're right about Seconupdater being malware. Stay away.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gabriele339

It's provided by Nokia, it is used by Ovi Suite to connect to your phone.

No malware.

Please use plain text.
Professor
reinob

That's correct. I don't know on what basis some people seem to think that it's malware...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi sharonx

SeConUpdater has certificate details which you can access via "View details" > View as per screenshot here:http://i53.tinypic.com/oa3lav.jpg

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

What's this app supposed to do?

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pnpmech

It is normal. When you connect ur phone first time to pc, it installs some apps to ur phone, they are generally support sw provided by Nokia to work with pc & phone. Some other sw can be listed like mmssync, pc/ovi suite support, etc. Still not sure then check certificate.
LEARNING AND WISDOM ARE SUPERFLUITIES, THE SURFACE GLITTER MERELY, BUT IT IS THE HEART THAT IS THE SEAT OF ALL POWER . . . .
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
huego

[ Edited ]

i gave about $500 for my phone and Nokia haven't preloaded all the needed software - for anything and everything!!!!!!!!! i'd rather give another $500 for GPS navigation than installing anything that comes from Nokia on this phone just to use Maps.

Where is the official Nokia Statement, that SeconUpdater is OK??? I Don't know you, guys, if you tell me it's OK this Updater - there is NO chance I believe you! I don't believe Nokia, either, but i would believe something official, which has been read by millions before me:smileyhappy:

SO please provide a link before saying it's not malware!

I Have official link, that IT IS MALWARE

Did I mention that my phone's software broke TWICE for less than a month - and all i was doing was calling, receiving calls and messages? no using of applications, no connecting to internet NO NOTHING! WHY NOKIA, WHY!

Now instead of Nokia taking care of me, i have to take care of their software! And Nokia will not pay me for this! Advice to the company *free, but call me if you appreciate it and want to donate): 

Not only this, but even this can really be troublesome!!!!!!

->

/t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/E52-seconupdater-certification-failed/td-p/906709

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Inappropriate language removed. The link to the malware you are referring to has been removed. We have forwarded this issue to our relevant department so we cab verify this information.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

[ Edited ]

SeConUpdater is a legitimate support component installed by Ovi Suite when you plug-in your device to PC. You can check that the component is signed by Nokia when installing the component, or afterwards in App.Mgr. When you check installed applications in App.mgr, you can find in SeConUpdater details that the component is signed by Nokia and has a Nokia certificate attached to it. This proves that it’s a valid component and not malware.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

In case anyone can't be bothered to open my previous link to screenshot, here are details for SeConUpdater:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ralpugan

The certificate for SeConUpdater component seems to expire on 13/11/2014 based on the screenshot and i can confirm this.

So, what will happen on 14/11/2014??? Can anyone explain?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

May be the then Support Software you will need to install, have the new certificate ...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ralpugan

You mean erasing existing (old) SeConUpdater and forcing a re-installation by re-connecting phone to Nokia Suite? I doubt that would extend the certificate as i guess the certificate expiration data is hardcoded.
Please use plain text.